What is on your speakers?

Hello. Pauel. The short answer is that they sound wonderful.

Their effect is most noticeable, as you might expect, on high frequencies, particularly with instruments such as cymbals, where they extend the range into what would otherwise be fizz or fuzz, or whatever.

Townshend claim that their effect is to fill out the midrange response of the ESLs, and even the bass too. I’m not sure about that. I will say, though, that the overall sound is both clearer and fuller.

But perhaps I’m just justifying to myself the cost {I think from memory around £1,200) of buying them. I don’t think that that’s the case, though. And I certainly wouldn’t want to take them off now.

Although they were designed for QUAD ESL57s, I suppose that there’s no reason why they wouldn’t go with more standard cabinet loudspeakers (they have rubber feet, so would just sit on top of the cabinet). But I DON’T KNOW if this is the case. It might be worth finding out if you’re interested.

PS I see from your profile that you have LS3/5s. I have just ordered, but not yet received, a pair for my bedroom system with a Nait2 and NAT-02. If you could add the Supertweeter to those, I imagine that you’d have something rather marvellous.

PPS I have looked on the Townshend Engineering website, which does not specify that the Supertweeter is for use with QUAD ESLs. There are photos of the units sitting on top of cabinet loudspeakers, so I suppose that anything goes!

1 Like

Absolutely nothing, it’s not allowed! And all my family are very aware of the situation!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ll take a look when they are available for the audition.

Neighbours cat photo!

3 Likes

Yes it makes a difference to have them level.

7 Likes

When the bubbles break into smaller ones you know it’s time to turn the volume down!

4 Likes

What’s on my speakers?

Today, Classic FM and Kate Bush.

(Sorry Pauel :blush:)

1 Like

Do you have to level your ears in the same way?

2 Likes

I’d never thought of B&W’s design concept for the various incarnations of the 800 series having this particular advantage, but the convex top and separate tweeter make it conveniently impossible to put anything on top of them:

3 Likes

I’m sure a cat would find a way :grin:

5 Likes

Our cat is certainly prone to pouncing on exposed tweeters if let out.

G

1 Like

You should definitely setup another pair for cat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or trade up to another cat!!!

1 Like

I’ve heard cats being served as speakers aren’t perfect

This diagram shows where to install them.

DG…

The density of carbon monoxide is very close to that of air - in fact the table in the reference below puts it slightly lower than air, meaning it is “lighter” than air, but the composition of air is not an absolute constant so (though I don’t have specific info) conceivably it could be the other way round at some locations. However, temperature also has an effect, and as CO production associated with burning of fuels it is likely to be carried upwards initially as it leaves the point of production. Over time it is then likely to diffuse and mix with the air, becoming more evenly distributed (and dilute). To me this all suggests that the recommended positioning for alarms high in the room is appropriate for earliest warning, while close to breathing zone (head height) would pick up what you are actually inhaling.

How can you install a cat on the ceiling or the walls like that? It may be able to hang on with its claws for a bit, but it will inevitably fall and may injure itself. Shame on you!!!

3 Likes

Velcro?

Willy.

1 Like

If the cat then falls of the ceiling and lands on its owner and the cats name is Shame, then your hypothesis is correct.

2 Likes

Cats are notoriously lazy. It needs a caged mouse of pigeon in the centre of the ceiling in order to energise them.