What is on your speakers?

I don’t see the point in taking any chances for all the cost of a device.
Where we live it’s now law to have these devices including heat and smoke alarms interconnected in all homes.
I know people that died of carbon monoxide poisoning with no long term clues.
Just went to sleep and didn’t wake up. :cry:
I’ve got two in my kitchen now the only room with gas one at the boiler and one just above the upstand. :+1:t2:

Sorry for the deviation folks just thought I’d be sharing and caring with the forumites.
Life is too short. :flushed:
Oh and nothing on my speakers. :+1:t2:

1 Like

And I wasn’t in any way suggesting otherwise - I had just picked up on your comment that at speaker top level it would be too late by the time the alarm activated, which is not the case - or if it was increasing rapidly enough to be the case (probably impossible unless it was a discharge from a cylinder of the gas), then even with an alarm fitted higher it would probably be too late to traverse a room unless you were to hold your breath or crawl fast with head at floor level…

Agree. I would NEVER consider putting anything on top of my speakers. Me and the wife have the same argument every single December about whether she can put Christmas decorations on top of them!

3 Likes

My SL2s (in another room) are mostly secure from cats on top for the same reason, but the cat on the left in my earlier photo has twice tried to jump up onto one while chasing a fly and both times discovered that the front foam is not able to support her weight.

In my naivety, I am hoping that she may have “grown out of it”.

2 Likes

I’ve put my Christmas tree on top of them in the past

Though I did move it in the end (it’s now in the garden)

But these days a family of rubber ducks have moved in

And people think I’m quackers

5 Likes

I think I’ve mellowed with age. I’d certainly not put anything heavy or abrasive on top of a speaker. That CO monitor might conceivably slightly affect SQ and/or vibrate at certain frequencies, but few rooms are perfect acoustically for all setups, and istening position is also a significant variable.

Since moving the SBLs to another room I have placed them such that they are at either end of my projector’s image width, this is possibly too far apart which is probably more noticeable than a small item affecting SQ placed on the top box of the speaker. I dare say if they were brand new it would be a different matter!

1 Like

For years I had a large spider plant on top of my Royds, which came to no harm as a result. The cat never tried to get on top of them, although he regularly used to sleep on the LP12 lid, which was also unaffected.

1 Like

Duck for cover.

3 Likes

Nothing on the rounded top of the NBLs (anything would just slide off, I know, the wife tried).

IMG_0466

3 Likes

Surely she would have been too big!?!

4 Likes

:rofl:

Whatever ‘goes on’ behind closed doors is entitled to remain there.

Blue Tac is the obvious answer to that little problem :thinking: :smiley:

Don’t want to mar the finish on the speakers :smile:

So you have the finish on your speakers!? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@davidhendon They’re probably afraid of that scary driving blue thing on the ground. :rofl:

1 Like

I have a Townshend Ribbon Supertweeter on top of two of my QUAD ESL57s. They’re not ornaments, but they are gloss black finished and precision machined, so they’re intriguing to look at.

1 Like

Wow! I haven’t even known there are such kind of things! And how is the sound ?