What is this LP12 component/accessory/piece of junk?

I use Lyra silver paper. Since 20 years.

6 Likes

Somebody asks so you post a picture of how not to use it. It isn’t really helpful.

Show me another picture where someone is showing using it.
He was asking what it was for surely that was a better clue than nothing.

Just a quick comment here, it really depends on the make of cartridge when is cleaning as Green paper is quite aggressive, but I have to say it is one of the best ways of cleaning the stylus tip of a Linn cartridge. Glass paper on the diamond, is not going to cause a problem. It will mainly remove any buildup of vinyl deposits or are the material on the stylus tip.

I do note Skeptical’s concerns, as you do need to be careful when you’re using it as some manufacturers just glue the styli onto the cantilever rather than have a punched fixing which is far more secure, and so we don’t want people ripping their styli from their cantilevers!!! Equally it is necessary to limit yourself to cleaning just the stylus tip, as Green paper will abrade your cantilever very quickly if it comes in contact with it while you’re using it, so definitely not desirable!!!
In summary, not for the faint hearted or the careless or for some makes of cartridge, so check with the manufacturer to see if you can use it first and take care.

KR, Peter

5 Likes

Many thanks to all for your help and advice here. @Richard.Dane please close this chat, as it has served it purpose - thank you

I think I’ve got 2 strips of the stuff.

How do you know when you should replace it?

How much does it cost from a dealer or does it only come gratis with major upgrades!

(I used it for years and actually think it worked, but I can’t quite envisage how dragging it horizontally would clean anything but the tiniest area of the tip of the diamond. Maybe the abrasive nature caused microvibrations in the whole stylus shaking off dirt above?)

More worryingly, how many of us used it maybe without turning off the phono stage first, enjoying that horrible cathartic rasping noise!