What is your prefered music server?

According to github it has not been touched in years. Do you have a requirement for time synced multiroom audio?

I haven’t seen any date on the link, but if I understand well, Snapcast is an add-on on audio server like Modipy, to add the synchronous multi-room capabilities. But you’re right, it seems it is not really active…

To answer your question, yes I’d need that, at least on 2*2 room.

Maybe I want to many things in one box… but LMS did that.

The reason I “quit” LMS was :
-LMS was not supported as an application with DSM 7.0 (but it is still installable via Docker)
-Logitech buy it… and stop the developpment
-My command was old (touch, boom and radio). Thy were still working very well, but the rapidity, interface was more than 10 years old.
-The interface on the LMS webpage and android app where a little old too (but I was using the standard skin…)
-the scanning of the database takes much more time than BlueOs or Roon (but done during the night, it is not a big issue)
But I recon, that in term of functionality and quality it is still on the podium…
I wonder if I will not reinstall it in a Docker ?

github is showing snapcast was last released 22nd December last year, so still getting some updates… but it sits on the player side of things, so separate from the music server: LMS might have been how some people were getting multiroom previously but seems more common these days for a client to implement streaming to multiple listeners (e.g. as in chromecast, airplay and Naim multiroom) and keep the server out of it.

If I understood it, it seems a useful bit of software that would synchronise different manufacturers transports with each other. Eg An Aries with the nodes in other rooms.

What is your synology? Very often these nases are woefully under powered and may determine just what you can reasonably run and expect good results

It is a 1517+ with a INTEL Atom C2538.
Not very powerfull, but still ok for Roon, which is the most demanding audio server.
For a Roon server, an SSD is mandatory where you store the database (not the musical files).

Like anything IT related roon will limp along on that, but its not powerful enough to do it justice. This is hard to explain until you ‘power up’ as it were.

People for instance argue that the NAs is only using half of its 2 gigs of ram, yet if it had 20 gigs, half will still be used and the roon interface etc will be far smoother and more responsive with the extra ram. but anyway I digress

On the basis you have roon, why the fight to find multiroom solutions?

My NAS has 16BG of RAM.
I have not Roon. I did the trial for 14days, but I am still not convinced to spend the 700€ for it (or exactly 2*700€…). Durign that test, I can’t test the multiroom with Roon, but it is said that Roon is one the best solution with the lowest latency.
In the second house (unfortunatly, not mine, but spend some times there), I have an older NAS, as a distant backup, and that NAS should not be powerful enough to run Roon. So in the budget for a complete Roon setup, still need to had the price for a NUC to run it there.
During my Roon test (end of 2021), I didn’t catch the possibility to get some tag from Roon as It was explained by @Suedkiez.

Yeah fair enough its not a free solution. They don’t want you paying for it up front they want a yearly.

I guess I am easy, I dont hear differences between servers, only endpoints/dacs. I used to use Daphile which is based on LMS. But the NAS would probably be the limiting factor there. Daphile is totally audiophile focussed LMS. and its free and awesome.

You don’t need two Roon subscriptions. You can run Roon Core on one device, then log in on another and use it there, just not at the same time.
Alternatively, I use Roon on a laptop so that I can take it with me and listen from any location.

I think about that, but unfortunately :
1/sometimes, I am in one point and my wife is on the other. So need to listen at the same time occur several times.
2/I haven’t a laptop with enough storage to do that, and adding an external USB disk is not very convenient.

In Theory, the server should not make a difference about the SQ, but the transport does.
I do not know daphile, I will check it. thank you.

I do the exact same thing and love it. Works well, and no concerns about software settings, fancy cables, etc!

Why pay for lifetime? You can pay monthly for a bit to see how you really get on or yearly. I am yearly it’s 84 quid a year hardly breaks the bank considering what people spend on cables and crap they don’t really need. I’m coming up to my 5th year. I am
happy to pay it as it as Roon is in constant development adding new stuff that has to be paid for some how. It’s multiroom is the best in the business as it has support for sl many different protocols. Free is nice but they dont tend to really move with the times you get what you pay for.

I posted a topic about using Asset for classical music
see Changing metadata to improve Classical Music presentation - Streaming Audio - Naim Audio - Community

The advantage of this Asset approach is that it uses all the “standard” tags (recognised by most servers) so if you change your server in the future everything basically still works.

1 Like

Because, I see a monthly bill as a “imprisonment”. I can consider a monthly bill for water, electricity, phone, food. but the less I have, the more free I feel.
Maybe a huge psychological issue :wink:
For Roon, I was wondering a lifetime pay when it was around 550€ for a lifetime. Now, with the inflation, it is 700… So you have to be sure to use it, at least 9 years to make the investment “profitable” (8 years and 4 months exactly). So, a lifetime pay is a huge bet… I understand it. But I feel less dependent. I hate eternal monthly bill. never free…

Interesting topic I haven’t seen before.
I will respond in your topic to explain how I do my tagging.

FWIW, it’s 700 US dollars, which is 616 euros in today’s exchange rate. I think the nice thing about lifetime is that it’s enough of a commitment to make it worthwhile to spend time grooming one’s Roon database.

If I paid monthly, I would second-guess every minute I spend editing/improving.

iPad

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.