What makes you listen to the same album over and over?

There’s a lot of similarities but theres big differences as well. TV/movies require your full attention you need to watch and listen, music allows you to continue to do things. You add the visual, it’s your movie the album becomes the soundtrack. It exercises your brain imo TV deadens it.

2 Likes

There’s so much good music out there it’s generally more rewarding to seek out material one has not heard before.

Of course there is a place for replay - I can’t recall the number of times I’ve listened to Kill em All, Heaven or Las Vegas, Slipknot or Souvlaki over the years. But genre defining albums should probably be exempt from this survey :laughing:

1 Like

Bringing back memories of my youth, driving with my brother and mates. Dire Straits with Tony and his HQ ute cruising the Gold Coast on a weekend night. My brother and I are rocking to AC DC’s Back in Black whilst driving through Gold Coast hinterland thunderstorms.

Pleasant and sad memories. There are exceptions, too. Beautiful female vocals by Haley Westerna were a surprise discovery, as were some DECCA Classics.

Amy Lee’s Synthesis album. Where her vocals stand out against the orchestra and the band is tapered down a bit.

Music that is attached to memories.

Mitch in Oz.

2 Likes

Not for all of us! To me there is little more rewarding than playing good music, even if it has been heard 10s or even 100s of times before.

There is lots of music I haven’t heard, but firstly there is finding it (among too much I don’t like!), and secondly, at least for me there is a necessary process of familiarisation for at least some.

1 Like

Just because, plain and simple, it’s fun :blush:

4 Likes

I can and often do watch movies in the background while dojng somethjng else, e.g. browsing internet or doing something else on laptop, choosing to sit and keep my wife company while she is watching (she doesn’t listen to music like I do!) However if it is a geed film it may geab my attention and I end up stopping doing whatever else it was.

As for the original question, maybe it is a left-right brain thing: Harking back to my thought that the reason may be music imagery/feelings being induced within the brain, vs film presenting it in front of you, music would be a right brain thing, while watching a film more a left brain activity

It’s the zeitgeist; especially when music was first influential. Now, if I play music on repeat it is invariably when an album is recommended and I need a few listens to decide if it’s for me.

Apart from the fact that back in the day I only had a few albums so they had a lot of play time. Now streaming makes me listen to a whole load of new stuff, either via radio Paradise or Roon Radio (sad to say I have not tried Naim Radio).

2 Likes

I listen to the same recording on repeat for 2 things:
1, work: when I get orchestral gig, especially I get asked to lead the section (violin), just knowing my part isn’t enough, I need to know when violin is interplaying with other sections or echoing.
2, my own pleasure: I am a fan of extraordinary playing captured on the recordings. I must admit I geek out on figuring out what is being played. Hendrix on guitar, Radiohead for me with a good system shows how great each member is, people tend to overlook the bass and the drum, they’re so tight and progressive, absolutely the backbone of all their experiments. On Jazz, Coltrane and Henderson tend to play in the out of this world speed, listening to those recordings repeatedly helps me understand their journeys on how to improvise in key and out of key and then return, Brad Mehldau and Gonzalo Rubalcaba on piano are making statements that they’re the worthy heirs of piano gods like Chick Corea, Keith Jarret.
As a violin head myself ha, Hilary Hahn is so articulate she for me does Bach justice, she’s able to project simplicity out of complicated passages. I keep revisiting Midori, I don’t think she’s got enough attention from the record label, her Carnegie Hall performance speaks it all, even her peers back in Juliards school would sometimes stop and listened to her next door in the practice building, for me she deserves to be on the same status as Vengerov and Repim. The 2 Russian giant are maturing very well. The up and coming guy Augustin Handelich is going to join the legend of Heifetz and Szerying. Again a good system acts like a Time Machine being in the same room with these performers.
I can go on all day lol

2 Likes

I’ve long had a hatred of that record. But I’m going to give it another try this evening.

1 Like

Hatred is a strong emotion, particularly for such a fine album.

I mean “dislike” rather than “indifferent to”. Hate is too strong. I’m going to listen to it right now.

2 Likes

I find multiple listening is a must for a lot of music because usually I find the first play, I don’t quite “get it”. I need to sort of internalise it. And then maybe by the fourth or fifth time round it clicks. I find all the most rewarding music to me follows this pattern. If I like something instantly, I tire of it almost immediately. If it is a tough nut to crack, I might treasure it forever.

One thing that strikes me though about playing music frequently and building a collection is how big is too big? I have friends with truly massive collections. But I did the math and if they listen to one albums a day and live for another 60 years, they will not get through their collections. And the reality is they are still buying music. I rarely take any advice to “listen to this” from them. Because I know they only every heard it once, maybe 15 years ago.

2 Likes

It’s one of my favourite albums ever, but that’s partly because it brings back memories of the many times that I saw JB in concert.

I’ve done that calculation when learning the size of some people’s collections on here. It is clear that people with such huge collections are collectors, and whatever they may believe, they are not buying music for the pleasure of listening to it. Nothing wrong with that, but your point about their listening advice may be a good one. I wonder how much the same might apply to their system building?

It won’t change :slight_smile:

I’ve tried for years. Average recording and lacking in actual memorable songs bar the ones other people wrote.

1 Like

I listened to it many times and it finally clicked.

Just how plain dull, boring and uninteresting the album and singer were.

3 Likes

Playing on repeat. :scream: :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, still don’t much like it.

If music suits the kind of mood I am in it will be listened to over and over. This is happening right now with Liszt and Fauré piano pieces played by Imogen Cooper!

1 Like

Hi All

What I do is play my music alphabetically.

Usually start with Vinyl and play artists beginning with a number then letter A. Only ever play one letter before moving on.

Then I play cd’s starting with artists starting with Z

Then I might stream some new stuff I might have been made aware of then back to vinyl and the next letter and so on

Never get boarded or over play certain albums and always finding something new. Nothing gets forgotten

If I find a poor copy or an album I really don’t like it leaves my collection.

The music always remains fresh.

Trevor