What MM carts with SN3?

I went from a moving coil Apheta 2 cart on my Rega RP8 to a MM Audio technica vm540ml on my Vertere and so far not missing the MC at all. Much less sensitivity to surface noise, very dynamic and also don’t have quite as much anxiety about accidentally twanging the cantilever!

1 Like

When my SN3 arrives in a couple of months I’m thinking of making the same change (RP8 to Vertere DG1) and make use of the SNs phono stage. I’m hoping that might be a bit of an upgrade. Was that your experience?

1 Like

You’ll be grinning from ear to ear as soon as the stylus hits the vinyl :grin:

The RP8 is still a fabulous deck but the DG1 is a considerable step up and very dynamic.

I bought it with the Vertere Magneto cartridge, which is a rebranded AUdio technica with an elliptical stylus, but was slightly underwhelmed so bought the microcline stylus that’s fitted to the 540ml mode and that was a really big step up and everything just came alive.

Very low noise, happy with less than perfect records and just a very engaging deck with lots of punch. There were a few of my records I never used to play on theRP8 as it picked up too much surface noise/pops to be an enjoyable listen, but don’t seem to have the same with the Vertere as it encourages you to just play records. You definitely listen to the music rather than the hifi.

1 Like

Fantastic, thanks for the info, really encouraging.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.