What music instrument do you play?

Played the Cornet in a brass band as a kid and moved to Trumpet in an orchestra setting. Taught myself keys as a student, owning a Hammond at one point (lovely instrument) but shifted to Synths and Arrangers when I set up home for my self. More recently I have tried to teach my self to play electric guitar and bass, I have found both hard and I suck at both.

May be they are hard to learn, perhaps its just my age?

Like many, I have tried multi track recording and live performances which I find terrifying, now resigned to home noodling only.

Still it is good fun to make a big noise, plus trying new keys and buying amps and effects pedals is much more fun than swapping bits of stereos!

Bert Weedon’s play in a day worked wonders for me, 3 chords and the world’s your oyster

3 Likes

You and the Beatles so it seems, it was the first tutor book I bought, thinking that if it was good enough for the Beatles it would do for me! LOL

1 Like

Both my wife and myself play bass guitar, me badly, her rather well as a professional musician. She also plays guitar, bass/cello/violin and the piano

1 Like

piano
harpsichord
trombone
organ
singing
conducting (not my best quality)

The joys of counterpoint! Nothing better than proper voiceleading and harmonic progression. A simple 4 part choral can make me very happy when it is well written.

1 Like

Interesting IB! What does that mean really?

I presume they were made under some kind of agreement by companies not associated with the original Strad. A quick search simply says that they were ‘copies’, as you say.

I bought it for 35 pounds in 1992 and it was the beauty of it that attracted me in the first place. My daughter is currently learning the violin so it will be a gift to her when I can get back to England to pick it up.

Been learning the guitar for the last 45 years!

3 Likes

Bit of an occupational hazard, for me its all too easy to turn it up, not good!

1 Like

Passed my Grade 8 Piano many moons ago .
Our elderly Bechstein upright now resides in my daughter’s house .
I can still manage a passable Fur Elise and Rondo Alla Turca .
My first teacher was a survivor the Holocaust and very strict .
She used to hit my knuckles with the edge of ruler when I made a mistake .
She lived with her twin sister and they had both endured the most terrible treatment in Poland .

Having seen the book all I can say is that must have been a very long day.

2 Likes

At 17 played bass in a band - the height of our ambition was to play Wild Thing for 40 minutes then (a la Jimi) set fire to our instruments - but not the drums as they were Gary’s Dad’s.

Now have an alto sax that I play pitifully badly but really hanker after a bass clarinet - won’t be able to play that either.

Started on Recorders, at Primary school. Learned Clarinet at Secondary school and got to Grade 5. Stopped because of O Levels & A Levels. Still have the Clarinet, though.

Started messing with Guitar a few years back. Got more serious recently, and take lessons. Have to admit now to 6 Electrics, 1 Bass and an Acoustic… :thinking:

1 Like

First time I hear about that method - I’m impressed

“Bert Weedon’s Play in a Day is one of the world’s most successful guitar methods. It is as much a legend as the stars who have learned from it, including Eric Clapton, MIke Oldfield, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, John Lennon, Sting, Brian May, Pete Townshend, and more.” (Amazon)

I doubt the piano method I bought (Leila Fletcher) will yield the same results, sadly…

Claude

1 Like

High D whistle (folk)
Piano accordion
Keyboards.

The only “musical instrument” I play is the Hifi…

It’s the ladies in the household who are the musicians: flute, sax, clarinet, keyboards etc etc…

and they can all read music.

and my bro was once named as “the best damned bass guitar player on the South Coast”.

I feel so inadequate!

My take on it was a copy as opposed to a fake trying to pass itself off. I remember when I was a kid my dad peered inside every violin he saw at a jumble sale or in a junk shop hoping to find a genuine Strad - because there had been an instance where someone had done that and made a fortune! That was probably before tgese labelled copies, or he would probably have had a heart attack from the repeated excitement!

He was in The Damned was he?

The “proper” cover wot sum of us ‘ad.

3 Likes

It was “the” book in the early sixties when I bought my copy, simple song in a day entirely possible with the mindset of a 13 year old wanna-be Hank Marvin

2 Likes