What music review sites do you use?

Probably depends what genres you like.

I like a lot of metal/prog/stoner and while the Allmusic reviews can quite often be objective, there is one “user” who pretty much slams everything as derivative and boring which isn’t a lot of help. I honestly can’t understand why anyone would post so many negative reviews. I could do that with rap and pop music as i don’t like it but what would be the point

For prog in its many guises, the ProgArchives site is pretty decent, quite comprehensive listings and if you know the album you are looking for it can be very helpful.

For more metal/prog metal/hard rock I like RockReport.Be mainly just to see what is new and upcoming

2 Likes

I enjoy watching Dave Hurwitz’s classical music reviews on YouTube

4 Likes

The Naim app often has reviews and data in the description and the brochure, plus allmusic, discogs and Wikipedia.

Thom Jurek is my favourite reviewer by a long way.

Plus the YouTube algorithm often works its magic to find stuff you’d never have found unaided.

(I give Wikipedia a monthly donation because it is such a good source of information.)

[I’d like to try Roon, but it’s too much fuss, extra gubbins and cost.]

2 Likes

Well I am quite a generalist. I like electronic, techno, indie, metal, pop, jazz, downtempo etc. But most I listen to rock, indie and metal with a large dose of electronic music on the side.

I lean to new music and enjoy discovering new music more than listening to stuff I have heard many times.

Especially finding new electronic music is hard with reviews. There are so many subgenres and so much is produced. Even naming conventions are complicated.

Ow and how do you use Wikipedia to discover new music? That only works to research artists you know right? For me www.discogs.com is best for that purpose.

How about this?

Well I was looking to be taught to fish but I appreciate being handed a fish. :wink:

It’s quite a specific fish too. Curious how you came up with this based on this thread. Haven’t heard anything like this before. It’s very… experimental…With jazz and rock. Not sure this is for me but I my need to listen a bit more.

Well, it’s got guitars! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

To be honest, I only came across it today myself.

Not great, but interesting…

Is this any better??

Maybe start a thread for people who like the same type of rock that you do?

I pick up some great recommendations from the main music thread and the jazz thread.

These days, I mostly get tips on new music via various fb groups, from friends and from demos and hifi fairs. Very rarely from review sites or magazine. When watching TV or movies, Shazam is a very good tool.

‘Free Jazz Blog’ for Jazz; ‘I Care If you Listen’ for contemporary classical and Bandcamp and The Wire magazine. Also, once in a while I’ll hear something new to me via Roon. I also like BBC 6 Music’s Freak Zone on a Sunday evening.

Nowadays I mostly navigate in Bandcamp, from New jazz arrivals to best buys to new fusion, soul, funk, blues….I listen quickly and put some on favourites. Then listen to these favourites through Bandcamp app and buy tracks or albums.
Sometimes I find something on Qobuz. Or YouTube.

It’s not a web site, but magazine. I read and listen to Mojo, covers most contemporary genres, and I enjoy the typically bundled CD. Discovered a huge number of artists through this magazine over the years.

2 Likes