5 Because [Take 1]
6 The Long One [Trial Edit And Mix]
7 Something [Orchestral – Take 39]
8 Golden Slumbers [Take 17]
TRACKS
DISC 4 BLU-RAY

1 Dolby Atmos
2 Surround Sound 96kHz/24 bit DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
3 96kHz/24 bit High Res Stereo (2019 Stereo Mix)

More stuff here too Kev, on the ‘Super Deluxe Edition’ site…

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-beatles-abbey-road-reissued-for-its-50th-anniversary-across-six-formats/

1 Like

And the 3-LP set:

The album’s new stereo mix LP is packaged in a faithfully replicated sleeve, with the two Sessions LPs paired in their own jacket, presented with a four-page insert in a lift-top box.

Giles Martin, working with Sam Okell, from the original eight-track session tapes, was guided by the album’s original mix supervised by his father, George Martin.

• 12” x 12” lift off lid box to house
  • LP1: New ‘Abbey Road’ stereo album mix
  • LP2: Demos and Outtakes
  • LP3: Demos and Outtakes

Release Date 27 September 2019

TRACKS
LP 1 SIDE 1

1 Come Together
2 Something
3 Maxwell’s Silver Hammer
4 Oh! Darling
5 Octopus’s Garden
6 I Want You (She’s So Heavy)

LP 1 SIDE 2
1 Here Comes The Sun
2 Because
3 You Never Give Me Your Money
4 Sun King
5 Mean Mr Mustard
6 Polythene Pam
7 She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
8 Golden Slumbers
9 Carry That Weight
10 The End
11 Her Majesty

LP 2 SIDE 1 (SESSIONS)
1 I Want You (She’s So Heavy) (Trident Recording Session and Reduction Mix)
2 Goodbye (Home Demo)
3 Something (Studio Demo)
4 The Ballad of John and Yoko (Take 7)
5 Old Brown Shoe (Take 2)

LP 2 SIDE 2 (SESSIONS)
1 Oh! Darling (Take 4)
2 Octopus’s Garden (Take 9)
3 You Never Give Me Your Money (Take 36)
4 Her Majesty (Takes 1–3)
5 Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Takes 1–3) / Medley)
6 Here Comes The Sun (Take 9)
7 Maxwell’s Silver Hammer (Take 12)

LP 3 SIDE 1 (SESSIONS)
1 Come Together (Take 5)
2 The End (Take 3)
3 Come and Get It (Studio Demo)
4 Sun King (Take 20)
5 Mean Mr Mustard (Take 20)
6 Polythene Pam (Take 27)
7 She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (Take 27)
8 Because (Take 1 Instrumental)

LP 3 SIDE 2 (SESSIONS)
1 The Long One (Trial Edit & Mix – 30 July 1969)
2 Something (Take 39 – Instrumental – Strings Only)
3 Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight (Take 17 – Instrumental – Strings & Brass Only)

2 Likes

Tool
Fear Inoculun

More info
4 Likes

I hope they intend to release a plain vanilla CD version, as I have no intention of forking out the £80 currently quoted on Amazon for the disc with all the high tech gimmickry!

Looks as though I may be forced into download territory (I still prefer to rip the physical disc - old fashioned I know!).

2 Likes

@timmo1341 I saw that as well, I’m sure there will be a normal version for a tenner - well there had best be after this long a wait!!

2 Likes

Or a Hires download, better still, as most of the back catalogue has been just been released that way.

Not too impressed with the High Res downloads I’ve tried thus far. On balance I’ll go for a Red Book rip every time.

but the white beatles album remaster was specially done on hirez and lp. So it should normally sound better vs the 16/44 download.
However 120 euros is expensive…

1 Like

I agree, the White Album Hi Res sounds very good, just not worth the ridiculous amount of money being asked. The original CD played in my Naim system sounds superb. This is a classic example of the Law of Diminishing Returns. I’m not saying ‘don’t buy’, simply that I won’t buy at that price.

1 Like

Love their contributions to All Melody by Nils Frahm. The taster single SUMMER SICKNESS is wonderful.

Yes, it depends on what it sounds like, some are better than others.

Avishai Cohen and Yonathan Avishai to release a duo album

Trumpeter Avishai Cohen and pianist Yonathan Avishai have played together for several years in Cohen’s quartet. Now they will release a duo album together.

Avishai Cohen and Yonathan Avishai have known each other for more than 20 years, meaning more than half of their lives. They began exploring jazz music together in Tel Aviv in their teens. More recently Yonathan Avishai has been a part of Cohen’s quartet for several years and he has recorded on Cohen’s ECM albums Into the Silence (2016) and Cross My Palm with Silver (2017) where they played all new original material. Following these releases, the quartet has toured extensively through the world.

This year Yonathan Avishai also released a trio album on ECM, Joys and Solitude (2019) where he played mostly original compositions but also a wonderful trio version of Duke Ellington’s “Mood Indigo”. Today he is based in Paris, France, while Avishai Cohen lives in New York.

In September the two will release their first duo album on ECM called Playing the Room . It features new compositions by the two along with some jazz classics like Milt Jackson’s “Ralph’s New Blues”.

Following the release, the two will tour as a duo in cities in Italy, Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands, sometimes as a package tour including other musicians celebrating that ECM turns 50 years.A

3 Likes

There’s a new Loma album in the works. Most of it has been recorded, some songs sent to Eno for his contributions (hopefully). If they’re as good as the first album it’ll be a treat.

Meanwhile here’s them live - it’s rare that the lead singer finishes the set by going for a swim (to the sound of an ace keyboard solo)…

2 Likes

Me toooo!! Abbey Road 50th.

Yes, it looks another top notch box set.

Maybe I’ll get the vinyl this time? Honestly I’m happy to hear these remixes on my ND555. Probably not buying vinyl unless the printed matter is different for vinyl vs. cd

The book doesn’t come with the vinyl unfortunately, so it depends how important that is to you?
For me, the books have complemented the releases very well and this one will contain around 80 unpublished Linda McCartney photos from the sessions.

This is something I find rather annoying. Why not include the book with the vinyl, unless it’s a cunning ploy to try to get you to order both the vinyl and the CD box sets.

Oh wait…

3 Likes

This animated GIF courtesy of the Eli record store made me smile!

Abbey Road Vinyl box set ordered.

11 Likes