What releases are you looking forward to

Springsteen has 3 grown ups

2 sons and a daughter - his daughter from memory made into the USA horse riding team at World championship or if not was up there

Read about them

Charlie Stacey - The Light Beyond Time

Recorded on the Direct to Disc Night Dreamer records this first solo effort from young Jazz musician Charlie Stacey looks like it will be an absolute corker. Previously heard playing with the likes of Yussef Dayes, Moses Boyd and The Ezra Collective .

Charlie fronts his own band here featuring Oscar Ogden (drums), Tom Driessler (bass) and Jay Phelps (trumpet), he was also joined in the studio by vocalist Vula Malinga - who has performed with Basement Jaxx and Incognito - and Holland-based Senegalese percussionist Mamour Seck .

2 Likes

As I understand things, it’s advantageous under US tax arrangements (akin to IHT?), for artistes to realise the value of their catalogues while they are alive, plus it makes there general estate management far easier when the time comes.

With your legal background, you’ll also appreciate it’s far easier to tidy up any sub-rights for other performers while many remain alive e.g. the E Streeters.

It also appears the market for quality catalogue rights has been very strong, perhaps as general financial market yield factors have been relatively low, which has aided financing costs.

Lovely sounds on a sub-zero morning in frozen Yorkshire.

1 Like

On the evidence of this taster could be another BlueNote cracker due out early Feb.

1 Like

Anyone tempted by this MOFI BRuuuuCE reworking of his debut? I have an 80s reissue and a Japanese pressing but as yet, haven’t tried any MOFI uber vinyl, but I’m curious about this…

The MOFI blurb…

"Sourced from the original analog master tapes, pressed at RTI on MoFi SuperVinyl, and strictly limited to 7,500 numbered copies, Mobile Fidelity’s UltraDisc One-Step 180g 33RPM LP set is the definitive-sounding version of Springsteen’s daring debut. Afforded the benefits of SuperVinyl’s nearly non-existent noise floor, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. plays with a clarity, directness, and emotionalism that practically whisks you into the New York office in which Springsteen — accompanied by then-manager Mike Appel — played a few originals for legendary Columbia Records executive John Hammond and earned a record deal. "

First release from Peter Gabriel’s new album I/O due later this year. More info over on Pitchfork.

3 Likes

Not sure if it makes a difference to your decision but they did use an DSD256 digital file in the process.

1 Like

I am sure I can’t resist. But the one in the album collection is very good and you get the first seven for the price of one :wink:

1 Like

David Bowie - Aladdin Sane, reissued as a vinyl picture disc and a half-speed mastered black vinyl edition on 14th April. I’m in for the black vinyl issue! More info Super Deluxe Edition website…

“This new pressing of Aladdin Sane was cut on a customised late Neumann VMS80 lathe with “fully recapped electronics” from 192kHz restored masters of the original master tapes, with no additional processing on transfer. Both vinyl editions are cut from the same master, which means the picture disc is actually half-speed mastered too, although although the half-speed black vinyl is going to sound better than the picture disc.”

spread600-1

6 Likes

Thanks for that, HL.

Trading in musical rights seems very much the in-thing at the moment. (Although I suppose that it has been since the days when The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and others were being turned over by their managers in the 1960s.)

But it’s not something that I have any particular knowledge of (other than what I read occasionally in the financial press).

The marvelous Tunisian oudiste and singer Dhafer Youssef’s new album with a mighty band of musos including Herbie Hancock. Late April for the vinyl tho :frowning:. Couple of tasters on Tidal.

Street_of_Minarets_1dff7fc8

3 Likes

Haken | Fauna
More modern progressive metal due out on March 3rd.

1 Like

Bowie reggae-style. It’s been years since Easy Star All Stars released an album. Hoping this will be as good as their previous Floyd and Radiohead ‘reimaginings’.

7 Likes

I hope so, I’m due to see them at Cropredy later this year.

1 Like

Ernie Ranglin’s brilliant Below The Bassline due for RSD re issue.

I have the original Island Jamaica Jazz pressing of this, I heard the Universal Japan re issue from a while back and it didnt sound as good.

Its mastered at Abbey Rd and I hope from a good source given the Japanese issue wasnt so good imo, also this time comes in a proper sleeve but its coloured vinyl which is a potential negative.

Given the original now has silly asking prices this re issue could be welcome.

3 Likes

Thanks D

Now this is one I have been truely waiting for

One of my big top 10 favourites

Thanks for letting me know - can’t wait

3 Likes

I hope they dont mess it up. As I said some caveat emptor based on my hearing of a Universal Japan re issue a couple of years back, hope its not the same mastering and/or the source is in order this time.
I usually avoid coloured vinyl so another reason to be cautious.

However, for the first time its being released in a proper sleeve with (according to the blurb) notes from Steve Barrow rather than the originals plain Black sleeve with OBI and CD booklet inside.

So for me, I dont really need it but will probably try to bag a copy for the sleeve if nothing else.

And of course its great to have this brilliant album accesible on vinyl again at normal prices, hopefully if its a good un Universal will see fit to give it a proper full release.

Now, it would have been really nice if Universal could have made it a gatefold double LP and included all the tracks as per the CD edition.

1 Like

Sgt Pepper is very good too, I didnt enjoy Thrillah so much though

Yes, this really stood out for me on the RSD list. Unfortunately I suspect that this may be one that the flippers will pick up on for the reasons you suggest. The trouble is that the more we enthuse about it and the rarity of any original pressings, the more the flippers’ ears prick up! I think this happened with last year’s Little Feat US RSD release, Electrif Lycanthrope, which was only ever a bootleg previously. It was impossible to get hold of an American RSD copy here but fortunately Rhino later did a proper European release. It was supposed to have been released in Europe for RSD but they couldn’t arrange the pressing.

1 Like