What‘s about Proac

I’ve owned a couple of different ProAc models in the past (2.5 and Response D15) and they’re consistently in the top two finalists when I’ve looked to upgrade (most recently the D20R or D30R, but ultimately the Spendor D7 won out). They are, IMO, one of the top speaker manufacturers in the world; they just don’t mass distribute or market quite like B&W and a myriad of others (at least not in the states). I feel Naim is a great pairing with them, too.

3 Likes

I’m a recent convert to ProAc and have become a bit of a fan boy. It started with a pair of Tablet 10’s which I used in an office system initially. I wow’d my friends who swore there was a subwoofer in the room… yes, they can make great bass in the right room + good electronics. They currently reside at my cabin system, 172xs/Nat05/200. There’s a terrific coherence to the sound, tuneful and involving. The Tab’s check all the boxes for me.

At home I was ready to upgrade my speakers in my 500 system. After consulting several trusted sources I took the plunge and ordered a pair of K6 Signatures in walnut. The closest dealer with K6’s on demo was in Chicago so an in-person demo was not an option. A bit of a risk buying sight unseen, but knowing how good the Tab 10’s were the K6s surely had to be on-par. After a 200+ hour run-in I was rewarded with sound that I can only describe as end-game for me. Ever aspect of the presentation is correct. Delicate and detailed high’s which are never harsh or brittle. The domed midrange is perfect, voices are present (not buried like so many other high-end speakers) and not too forward as to sound out-of-balance. Bass was the biggest surprise. The K6’s 6.5" woofers outperformed my previous speakers… huge bass sound, fast and tuneful. The overall sound has great depth and involvement. I never tire of the sound and I’m never fatigued listening. The mark of a (nearly) perfect speaker. I guess this makes me a fanboy.

10 Likes

Chris, that’s a nice story. I bet ProAc are happy with this little bit of up-selling - smallest to largest! The fact that both extremes are so good says a lot. I’d been looking somewhat enviously at pictures of systems with Tablettes for quite a while and finally took the plunge recently. I happened to call the factory to ask them something and it was suggested I spoke to their UK sales person, which I duly did. They were just so helpful. The speakers are of course very small but they certainly don’t sound small, and are so beautifully made. Until the loan pair arrived in my house I’d never knowingly heard a ProAc speaker, despite having a decent hifi for over 40 years. Better late than never.

3 Likes

Also a super satisfied ProAc user here: K6 in the main system (NDX2>>Musical Fidelity NuVista 600), SM100 in the living room system (Marantz SR6012), and Tablette 10 SE in the bedroom system (Marantz HD AMP1).

Great fan of ProAc since I set up the SM100’s, the first studio monitors in the collection.

Slight change of direction, but are there any opinions on which ProAc speaker is the best match for a Nait 2?

The only ProAc speakers I have ever heard are Tab 10s and Tab 10 Sigs. Both are fabulous and a good match for the Nait 2 but they both seemed to benefit from the power a 140 or 250. Wondering if something like the DT8 would be a better match given a sensitivity rating of 90 vs 86 for the Tabs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.