What’s the best material to fill speaker stands?

My target stands have poly-bags filled with [garden centre] salt-free sand.
When i got the bag home it was damp so i dried some out in the airing cupboard, and only used it when completely dry.

At the time a colleague-friend was very interesting in doing the same with his target stands which were a larger size than mine, so i took the trouble of drying out the rest of the bagful in my airing cupboard which took a week or so of shaking about and stirring everyday to wick-out all the dampness, painstaking effort actually, lugging it out to the car, and driving it special delivery to his house.
But with true dedication i presented the bag of very dry and special salt-free sand to my colleague.

However, didn’t see him for a while because we worked different shifts, but a couple of months later i asked him how he’d got on with the sand, and he nonchalantly replied, “Oh i couldn’t be bothered with it, but i used the sand on my lawn”!

There’s no helping some people. :frowning:

5 Likes

A pillar of salt…

G

3 Likes

No good deed goes unpunished.

2 Likes

Around the time of your research I bought a new woodturning lathe. Whilst waiting for delivery I built a stand based on advice from another woodturner with an engineering background. Rather than use solid timber, everything was made as box section using battens and marine ply, then filling with dry sand. The idea being to reduce vibration especially when making bowls with wood that more than likely had irregular density.
The chap who delivered told me I had missed one vital part, soaking the sand in engine oil.
He went away and came back with 5 gallons of Duckhams Q 20-50.
No chance of finding out if without or with made a difference.
However with a chance of seepage, probably not the best idea in a domestic situation.

1 Like

Like it …

20 years ago i used bird grit for my monitor audio 703

1 Like

Snake oil is better than Duck oil.

3 Likes

Seriously this is where I get annoyed - these hifi companies are start taking the biscuit trying to sell your some “special” fill material…

Last time I had speaker stands I got high-quality play-pit sand, baked in the oven using a large turkey tray and then filled myself.

1 Like

My daughters Unicorn dust is even better. You wouldn’t believe where it has been found.

2 Likes

for best sound quality, i recommend gold powder :laughing:

2 Likes

Lidl. Less than 2 squid a bag. Whats not to like and if you don’t like, you haven’t lost much especially if you have or know someone with a cat. :grinning:
While not as heavy as sand it does stop tube ringing. 2/3 full, tap the column below fill level and … dead as a Dodo.

1 Like

Not only that, but it controls odours and is hygienic.

3 Likes

And as it’s a clay and hygroscopic it will swell up nicely with all this climate change …

Unused kitty litter or not, if I was buying second hand stands, I think I’d give a pass on any filled with it, regardless of price.

It’s just one of those things. :upside_down_face:

100%, its hydroponic & as such is a potential environment for moulds, fungus & other nasty stuff.

Easy solution to that is to seal the filling hole/plate or whatever.

… nah, I’ll stick to dry sand.
But thankfully no need these days as I’ve been with floor standers for a long time.

I have to say after many years with trying different stands… I find filled or unfilled metallic stands colour the sound unacceptably (to my ears)
I ended up with metal open framed unfilled stands, but I got that bettered with open framed wooden (oak) stands… and to me they are just right… no noticeable treble smearing, great mid frequency compliance, really sublime with voices and reasonably good bass… perhaps the slightly weakest point, being ever so slightly slow, so best partnered with infinite baffle fast stand mounts…
The reason I steer clear of floor standers, is unless they are uber expensive and refined … they tend to exhibit many of the traits of compromised stands, but you can’t do much about it.

So I say the best material is air in a critically damped material.

2 Likes

:small_blue_diamond:Non-moisture-absorbing sandblasting sand.

I have forgot the name of the sand,.I haven’t done it since 1996-97,but it was black in the color.
Should you fill your speaker-stand,or…some speakers also had the possibility to fill up a bit at the bottom with sand.

So fill a little at a time…
•Listen,.better-worse.
•Fill in more.
•Listen,.better-worse.

Yes,.you understand the principle.
When you cross the border when it gets worse,.then you remove some sand so that you have the level where it plays best.
If you change speakers to your speaker-stands,.then you have to do the process above again.
So be very careful as you do this.

/Peder🙂

Tend to agree. A filled stand sounds better than unfilled but I’ve always preferred open frame by miles. They do get vetoed often though by “decorating committees”.