What’s Your Best ‘Tweak’?

That sounds logical. It is quite a noticeable difference on orchestral music, further improving what is already a brilliant CD player.

Can anyone say to me if this guy is crazy or not? What is it for ? Madness tweaks?

Remind me , does the Cisco just send Ethernet to your streamer .If you get a good Wi-fi signal . Will that just do . What about powerliines , why the need for a switch

I am new to Naim set up

I think the best tweaks have been speaker and stands positioning… as well as cable dressing and cable de stressing… costs nothing and always sounds beneficial.

6 Likes

Ditto listening position!

2 Likes

I’m not going to watch a 13 min video. Indeed I prefer not to watch any review or advertising type videos as they tend to have far too much fill, and waste time trying to find tge substance, unlike text. Can you give a brief synopsis?

I you have enough spare Ethernet ports on your router, you don’t need a switch to connect it to your streamer. A wired connection is usually more reliable than WiFi, but if your wireless performance is good, you may not need the cable.
Powerlines generate very high levels of RFI all over your house, which may have unintended consequences for electronics devices, and possibly even your health, so I would avoid them.

Very good advice. In the “old days” I used to spend my time tweaking speaker positions, torquing up drivers, making sure my SL2s were nice and level etc. (a tricky task on suspended parquet flooring). Then I would be trying out various power supplies, servers, switches, cables, DACs and upgrades to try and improve the sound even further.
Nowadays my hifi system downloads the latest tweaks free over the Internet and the “blimey” effect is bigger than ever. It optimizes the sound characteristics to best suit my room layout and features and it brings the ideal sound to my listening position regardless of where my speakers are positioned.
I am, of course, talking about SPACE V2. This tweak is sensational!

It’s crazy. The man is using some strange material. Watch it 5 minutes and tell me what it is. I wonder if that person is crazy.

Yes its crazy, totally insane, but it has little to zero connection with anything to do with audio/hifi/Naim or price of bread - for those of us who are mostly maybe almost sane, that is.

1 Like

I do not wanna go on a date with this guy!

That repeated “Yeeeeaaaahhhh…” would be enough on its own to ruin the evening.

1 Like

Nonsensical video, no ecplanation in the little bit I played at normal speed.

Appears to be weights he is placing on top of gear, which will likely have a damping effect on vibration of the box otherwise arising from airborne acoustic excitation. The varying sizes will randomise/minimise any resonances. I guess the baking is perhaps hardining a moulding material and possibly charring the surface for decorative effect. He seems to think the effect is visually appealing…

There are many ways to damp vibration in casing, of which this might be more or less effective than others.

I think he is mad. It’s nonsense.

Well, you were the one who found the video, watched it, and posted it here!
If, as I surmise, it is a means of vibration damping, ignoring whether or not others have the same disturbing response to its visual appeal as the videographer, why is it any more mad than many of the other “tweaks” posted here?

Here’s something a little different. I’m not ‘allowed’ a proper hifi rack in the living room so I’ve made do with what we have, which is an Ikea Besta hack. Two units screwed together to make a corner unit, leveled with Herbie’s grungebsuter material under each of the nine feet, a heavy duty maple butcher block with grungebusters under it for the half width gear, and a drawer hack for a rarely used turntable (it has a chopping block and grungebusters under it). TV goes on top. It all works and sounds fine to my ears. Never heard a Fraim and most likely never will because if it looks ugly to me It would be more than horrendous for my wife (plus $ overkill for a V1/110).

11 Likes

I also think when going about tweaks to think in small percentages - any one change can be subtle but say one has ten tweaks, often many more, esp now in the streaming realm, all averaging anywhere from .5-5% of the sound, not any one tweak will change the fundamental sound of the black boxes (i.e. nothing’s going to turn my V1 into a Statement!) but could cumulatively contribute anywhere from a 5-50% increase in sound quality of the main gear (probably somewhere in the middle)

We definitely not understand each other. Probably not only a language reason.
The thread is on tweaks. I found that video which I found crazy, on the tweaks in audio subject, that I wanted to share. More on the funny side.

Totally off his head.

1 Like

Tweaks:

• Speaker positioning
  • Room treatment
  • Battery powered switch
  • Music Server with Windows 2019 and Audiophile Optimizer
  • Moving to a different house with a bigger living room (my Harbeth wanted that)

Most of all:
Coming back to Naim after 3 years with other brands, going full in with SN3 and NDX2 and all is good once and for all.

6 Likes

I think he needs to get laid