What’s Your Best ‘Tweak’?

Please keep us updated as the cloth burns in.

G

5 Likes

I haven’t checked most recent changes so I will bow to your knowledge if it has changed, but last I saw the RCD didn’t need to be combined with the over current circuit braker, but could separate.

It is not illegal to have them in use, but new installations must comply with the current (pun not intended,) regs.

There is no reg that says they must be replaced with RCB’s, but they must be if the house is rewired or has extra circuits added.
As it 'appens, I am having some quite extensive house/garage work done & although it only involves replacing the wiring in the garage the plastic cased RCB CU has to be replaced with a metal case type.

Yes you’re right IB, they normally are separate - (my bad)
The individual circuits can be a simple CB, the RCD provides protection to individual or groups of circuits.

A lot of great tweaks above. I started tweaking my system in the late 70s putting Mortite under my t-t platter and have tried numerous ones since then. One of the best and by far most cost effective tweaks was Symposium Rollerblocks under my CDP. I sold them when I went through some changes in the past and wished I still had them. Anyway, I saw this on an audio website and thought I’d try them since they cost about $16 US for 4 of them, but I use only three.

The original one used just the bearings and the cups. I didn’t hear much change probably because the cups are plastic. We have a lot of teaspoons and I used three that we picked up from a thrift store. I chose them because the spoon part was very shallow. I hot glued them to the cups and bingo! They work about 90% as well as the Symposium Rollerblocks. Biggest change was improved PRaT, low level detail and firming up the bass. Best part, the $400 I didn’t spend on the RBs will go toward a new amp.
for which I’m still in the hunt. Try it, you don’t have to tell anyone. Links to the parts:

Really cheap upgrade for me was plopping my ATC speakers on blu tak rather than some expensive isolators I bought but was never convinced with. Big difference. Everything just sounded tighter and more controlled. That’s the best way I can describe it anyway.

1 Like

They are quite critical with these type of things in Germany, and it was ok

I don’t disagree Bert, the regs in Germany & other countries are not all the same, I’m not being critical of any or saying one is better than the other.
In UK the regulations require a circuit breaker (CB) - not a fuse - on each circuit & either each circuit or group of circuits to be protected by a residual current detector (RCD), this measures the leakage current to earth from a defect or most important via a person, & if it exceeds 30mA it will break the power instantly.

I snickered out loud

1 Like

Are those tweaks?

A bug . Don’t understand what happened…

Ah, I remember the Dust Bug!

Are these Titan Audio power blocks star wired?

Curious if anyone is using these little “hacks” for improved vibration dampening?

cisco 2960
Innous or Melco
Tellurium Q

if i had to start all over again, i would start exactly with this!

Turning my NDX2 upside down.

5 Likes

Isoacoustics Gaia 1 made a big improvement to the sound from my speakers

2 Likes

Yep - bought a box 10 days or so ago. Placed them under my music server and noticed a cleaner sound (lower noise floor?). I also lent a set to my mate who runs a B&O system, he bought a box immediately.

However, I did not notice any difference when I placed them under my 52, which sits on a Fraim. The music server is on a sturdy rack, which is not in the same league as the Fraim.

1 Like

In my case they would sit under the 552 and Chord Dave, possibly also under the 500… I have my system setup on a Fraim Lite…

With a 552 and 500 I’d suggest you get a full Fraim.

1 Like