What’s Your Best ‘Tweak’?

Did you get a dedicated consumer unit too?

1 Like

Fortunately there was one spare in the fuse cupboard. We’ve no idea why. The previous owner’s son was an electrician, plus they fostered kids. So we think they had intended to give them a separate feed for some things.

Lucky me though!

G

1 Like

I also have Fraimlite, but have added the glass shelves and will probably add the additional base section as found in the full Fraim at some point.

I have used Stands Unique Carbon Isolators instead of the traditional Fraim cups and balls, they seem to work well and are more resistant to the glass moving around once under weight.

Has been a worthwhile upgrade from standard Fraimlite but no idea how it compares to full Fraim!

Oh and a free tweak, try different plug orders for your equipment; did this recently, eventually I ended up with a completely reversed plug order from how it has been for years and I rather like the results.

2 Likes

@GraemeH you should get a separate dedicated consumer unit before the main household consumer unit, makes such a difference!

3 Likes

I have a second consumer unit In my mind. For sure it will not hurt. Right now I have like @GraemeH the same consumer unit as the rest of the house for my dedicated. Will se when. I regret I just installed one dedicated and not two initially.

1 Like

Cable dressing.

Keeping cables away from each other, particularly power cables. Costs nothing and noticeable improvement.

I noticed buzz from my speakers. Narrowed it down to laptop power cable touching speaker cable. Two things learned:

1. Speaker cable had terrible noise rejection. Replaced with the most excellent Atlas Hyper 3.5.

2. Keep cables away from each other, particularly power cables.

Another favourite tweak.

For digital sources - making sure digital audio output is bit perfect and source is isolated (battery powered laptop/optical fibre cable/galvanic isolation/etc).

1 Like

Levitating speaker cables off the carpet with wooden blocks. LOL

1 Like

A Laura-Ashley, £175 in the sale. Had to be grey/silver to suite the room/flooring.

Very happy with the new streamer but I was noticing that, sometimes, it was a little harsh at the top end. The listening room/lounge is VERY harsh furnishing with no carpets, white painted walls (F&B of course), laminate flooring etc… So quite hard sonically. I put a rug on the floor between the speakers and the listening sofa and now the top end brittleness has gone :slight_smile: tbh this could have probably be done with a rug costing a third of the price but SWMBO has certain ideas on style :wink:

1 Like

Yes but you are happy with sonic benefits and the wife is happy with the rug a win win situation.

1 Like

Just popped another three Stillpoint ultra minis under one of the Supercaps. A very nice improvement for under £300. That’s all the SCs stillpointed, now on to the 250 DRs, when I get a bit more pocket money.

2 Likes

Yep totally agree on Sorbethane. I have the square ones under each of my Ken Kreisel Quattro QQ series speakers in the cinema room. No one can knock them over and they sound tighter since installation… Only £20 but worth every penny!

Cheers,

Inspired by your post, I finally got round to elevating my ATC SCM40’s on concrete paving slabs. Bass now has more control than ever before, and the wonderful dome mid drivers are closer to ear level. I wasn’t expecting much of an improvement, as my listening room floor is concrete. A very noticeable all round improvement in musicality and sound balance in my ‘only just big enough’ room.

1 Like

Have to concur re the gaia tweak, worth the 400 pounds for a set

I find that, if I turn the radio dial sufficiently, I can’t hear national media.

5 Likes

Don, welcome back.

We are in desperate need of some humour in this place!

5 Likes

Yep - a dedicated Radial is one of the most cost effective tweaks. Getting the basics right can save a lot of buggering about later on.

3 Likes

No leg pulling, remember…

2 Likes

Spoilsport!

1 Like

But which is it - Innuous or Melco???