What’s Your Best ‘Tweak’?

My room flooring is marbonite…

so after 3 - 4 hours of music the speaker stands spikes would loosen ( despite locknuts ) and this would make the speakers wobble…

I am using this silicone / rubber type 1 mm non slip mat under the speakers ( pic shown before they are cut to size ) and now no wobble - the sound is much better too
due to only 1 mm thk , the mid-bass driver to floor height is maintained as well…unlike other isolation devices at least 1 inch - 1.5 inch thick which raises the mid bass driver from the floor.

Here is a pic…

If possible - please try this - it works.

regards

3 Likes

My feeling is that if your gear is highly resolving, as it should be of course, changing anything at all will be audible. It should, sooner or later, become apparent whether this change is an improvement. The other forum, now defunct, which represented the manufacturer of my gear, was frequented by an individual who suggested some krazy stuff and set himself up as some resource who could improve lots of people’s systems… I have no ‘tweaks’ as such…but the music doth flow beautifully.

1 Like

that is a nice place to be @jlewis

:grinning:

Indeed it is…
happy Christmas and New Year to All!

3 Likes

I hope that doesn’t happen here.

2 Likes

Wonder who that might be ?:grin::grin::grin::notes:

1 Like

Moving my pre to the top shelf. A free tweak, so one of the best.

1 Like

I sometimes find that my fridge freezer likes to make a big noise that’s heard beyond the kitchen, and has some effect over mains.
I simply employ my end regions in a mannered fashion against said white hard surfaces. When a successful contact has been established, any ambient noise is eliminated.

Sorry don’t understand

He thumps it!

2 Likes

Spike-Shoes-Floor-Protectors-Suitable-For-Atacama

All stands…

2 Likes

A shove from the hips and ass.
(A Twerk Tweak)

By far, acoustic treatment.

It provided a massive uplift in sound definition, clarity and stereo imaging.

I used:

• Streamer Pro curtains (high performance swiss acoustic curtains)
  • Vicoustic Multifuser Wood 64 White
  • Vicoustic Multifuser DC2 white
  • Vicoustic Cinema Round Premium

REW and a miniDSP UMIK-1 calibrated USB measurement microphone helped with some adjustments.
Screen Shot 12-27-19 at 06.06 PM 001

Screen Shot 12-27-19 at 06.18 PM
Will add a set of Monster Bass Traps in January :smiley:

5 Likes

Any headphone users have any tweaks?

Yes, if you use IEMs. Whatever you spend, it will be a waste of money if you don’t use tips that provide a proper seal in your ear canal. I find my Shure SE846 very good, with exceptional bass performance for an IEM, when I use them with the supplied silicone rubber tips. Changing to the Shure black memory foam tip, or the aftermarket Comply version, I cannot get a good seal, and there is virtually no bass at all.

1 Like

I did the usual mods to my HD800 phones (not the s model) and that made a nice difference…easy to Google what these mods are

2 Likes

I’ve had great results adding a HiCAP to my SN2 and a Super Lumina interconnect from the NDX2, which have really improved the headphone stage from the SN2 to my HD800’s. To the extent that I’ve flagged looking at other headphone amp options.

4 Likes

Built 2 power cables with Neotech 3002 and some cheap but better than ordinary plugs. Gave a nice lift in transparency (perhaps at the expense of the overall balance). Will upgrade to Furutech plugs as well.
Went from OEM to Hatpin 4x (won on thebay for peanuts) as the interconnect between the 272 and the 250dr. Sounds a bit better.

I’d have to say, my best tweak was an entire learning curve when I bought the specific speaker stands recommended by ATC for the SCM19’s - Atacama HMS2.1.

When I first installed them after sanding the pillars, I experienced a shocking disappointment. Compared to the previous arrangement (Quadraspire stands) the system suddenly sounded dire! So bad, in fact, that I resorted to replacing my NAP250DR with my old NAP200. Minimal improvement ensued, but I’d lost my NAIM hifi experience. I almost felt bereaved.

Then, as luck would have it, I read that 1: SCM19’s work best away from the room corners and 2: bass is improved by placing the speakers directly on to the surface of the stand top plate. I then placed everything on sets of spike shoes.

By that time, the SQ had improved noticeably but I still hadn’t achieved the effortless performance I craved, So I reinstated the 250. Just to see…

Joy of joys, all is now well.

I think the lesson here is, especially for those occasions when an upgrade doesn’t seem to be delivering the expected goods, check the basics! It was a valuable lesson… best equipment support tweaks and appropriate speaker placements are essential.

Happy days.

2 Likes

I’m a big tweaked. When i’m not tweaking i read about you guys tweaking. I can’t get enough.