What’s your favourite perfume/fragrance?

There was a much older similar thread - can’t seem to find it from a simple search so possibly before the current platform?

On women, I like Anais Anais (Cacharel), Fidji (Guy Larache), Pablo Picasso, Coco (Chanel) and - a little uncertainly as many years since I smelt it - Youth Dew (Estée Lauder).

1 Like

I discovered this very recently. I think it’s lovely.

4 Likes

Castrol EP90. :wink:

8 Likes

There’s always one.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

My absolute favourite fragrance was Guerlain’s Samsara:

Have been unable to buy the Parfum for a very long time.

The original lovely bottles have changed.

Not bought it recently but I believe a dearth of sandalwood may have affected the notes and many current reviews suggest it simply isn’t the classic it was. :neutral_face:

I’m so sorry to hear that, Neil.

2 Likes

Like you the original Eau pour homme Armani was my absolute favourite scent by a million miles and I have grown increasingly frustrated by the difficult of finding it and the ridiculous cost when I did so. It’s not too long ago that I could find it for £45 for 100ml with a bit of effort, sadly it’s too often double that nowadays and I didn’t know it had been formally discontinued.

JonathanG

1 Like

6 Likes

Tom Ford has the hottest scents right now.

The Tobacco Vanilla is something I could just lie down smelling myself forever.

2 Likes

I will daub on a very little bay rum now and then, but I think it’s presumptuous to use other people’s air to make a statement or announce one’s presence. Perhaps I’m biased, having started my doctoral career as a flavor and fragrance chemist, then being laid off. It’s a zero-sum, seamy business. At the end of the day, we were manufacturing water pollution.

Most women that I have talked to–not a lot–don’t care for cologne on men. Maybe that’s an American thing. I do like small amounts of certain perfumes on women.

You would think that he would let his colognes talk for themselves, rather than him using a profanity to, I assume, shock the world at large.

I wouldn’t buy that bottle, or give it house room.

What shall we say? Asinine? Childish?

2 Likes

I’m very picky about fragrance, and have found few down the years that I would use regularly. My favourite remains l’Eau du Caporal by l’Artisan Parfumeur. It was discontinued decades ago, then they reintroduced it, now it’s gone again, probably for good (the designer, Jean Laporte, died a long time ago). It pops up on eBay from time to time. The reintroduced version is noticeably less characterful than the original, but I haven’t found anything I prefer.

1 Like

I am picky too. I used Creed’s Green Irish Tweed for many years but resented the price gouging as it became more popular. I asked a friend who treats the world of fragrance as a hobby and knows a lot about French producers, she’s also French, and she recommended Monsieur by Pierre Giullaume. If unsolicited positive feedback from woman who I dont know is anything to go by, it is appreciated. More importantly I like it too

1 Like

This was posted on the 1st. Those outside Sth Yorkshire won’t appreciate it😄

3 Likes

Do they sell that in John Lewis? Asking for a friend.

I’ve always like Joop but unfortunately Mrs Pete’s not a fan

As we both have to travel in the same car occasionally I’ve settled on Jimmy Choo

I use to work with guy that drowned himself in Aramis as a result I can’t stand the smell of it.

A related question is what fragranced things do people use? There are, for example, eaudetoilettes/colognes and perfumes, aftershaves, deodorants/antiperspirants and bodywashes.

For me the only fragrance I use is aftershave, using a non-perfumed antiperspirant as I don’t like the smell of most, and don’t want a clash of fragrances. If I were to grow a beard I wouldn’t need aftershave - I’d then have to ask myself (or perhaps someone else!) if It was really only for its post-shave function or if it is better than smelling just of me… But I on’t want to look as if I have fungus on my face (and reading Roald Dahl’s The Twits to my children has left a lasting memory that reinforces my dislike!

And to me the use of fragrances should be subtle, not a high intensity blast when someone walks past or overpowering the nose of someone in intimate closeness.

1 Like

Definitely agree they should be used sparingly. Since retirement I don’t actually use them much at all and on current usage I don’t think I’ll need to buy anymore.

Two very different fragrances both in terms of scent and price. I think M&S discontinued Harvard but I wonder if it has since been rebranded (e.g. “Cool Vetiver”?). This is the only Acqua di Parma I like.

1 Like