What’s your favourite pudding and why?

Bread and butter pudding, done properly is my fav although I am partial to sticky date as well and I do like a good apple pie. Hang on I forgot ice cream. Think that’ll do.

5 Likes

With you on the b & b pudding Pete - unfortunately my wife detests it, so I make it as a very (once a decade) occasional pleasure, or seek it out when we eat out. My other childhood favourite is semolina with raspberry jam swirled in whilst hot!

Yep same here Mrs Pete’s not a fan either.

agree B&B pudding is a classic, we make ours with creme angliase and lighly dusted brown sugar over the top, also like those slightly burnt bread - plan for the weekend me thinks

1 Like

We use (or I that is) brioche sometimes with a light spread of strawberry jam. Mmmm

2 Likes

I agree with the use of brioche, brown sugar, and home made custard. I spread marmalade on my bread - just for that extra ‘Paddington’ effect.

1 Like

One my first tasks in the kitchen was to make base Creme Anglaise sauce and Cream Patissere love making those cream sauces with Vanilla pods the flavour!

also last minute entry - sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce

3 Likes

Bread and butter pudding is wonderful - brioche or normal bread, I don’t mind. My problem is I love almost all puddings (and cakes) although I draw the line at sago pudding (only ever had it at school and was not a favourite).

I’m quite partial to rice pudding made with Jersey milk, some double cream and vanilla pods. A creamy delight.

2 Likes

That looks good, I struggle with caramel butterscotch would send me around the bend.

Brioche really raises the level, I make one using tinned apricots as an alternative to vine fruit.
Then, total decadence is chocolate spread AND chocolate chips.

1 Like

Agreed. However we liked to see it on the school menu, it always meant the chocolate concrete and strawberry custard would appear soon.

1 Like

receipe from the late great Garry Rhodes - simply Black tricle, double cream and muscovado sugar
will post recipe later - it’s very easy and no caramel in site

2 Likes

I’m in quarantine, which means I’m getting extra milk - more rice pudding, possess, and ice cream (made with custard).

1 Like

Anyone for Pineapple upside down pudding? I’ve never made it myself, but my mother-in-law makes it now and again and I can’t get enough of it.

1 Like

Rice pudding, I forgot about that I love that as well.

3 Likes

To be honest like @Don I’m not really a pudding person, much preferring savoury but there are a few things that I would always eat. Any baked milk pudding, rice, tapioca, semolina, sago. Proper egg custard, bread and butter pudding as described by @Antz and possibly a few more…

My love of baked milk puddings came from school and if I could get the sugary caramelised skin off the top then even better :blush:

1 Like

All this talk of school puddings made me recall that from time to time we used to be served puddings with GREEN custard - what was al that about!!! Custard really must be yellow.

Vanilla ice cream.

1 Like

Was it maybe mint custard? Usually served with a chocolate sponge pudding. I’m with you, it should be a shade of yellow.

It never seemed to taste of mint, although most of what was served didnt seem to taste of much! Still, if I recall correctly school dinners in my early days were just one English Shilling (5p today!)

1 Like