What to put SL2s on?

My SBL’s which are practically the same as SL2’s for the purpose of your post. Placed on a suspended wooden floor with thin commercial office carpet.

I use RS Acoustics 400x400x2cm granite plinth/base with Linn Skeets on top then Mana Sound Bases (size 1) then the SBL’s.

If I’m honest I haven’t done a lot of comparison but a lot of the reviews at the time were very favourable for the Mana Sound Bases.

3 Likes

Hi Rack - absolutely. Mine are fine and solid as is. It was really an idea for Jim.

If the SL2 sub tables were available I’d probably be intrigued to try them but I certainly don’t need them!

True that and we all need a project/distraction/diversion during this lockdown!

1 Like

chord-silent-mount-sm7-isolation-feet-pack-of-4

This will solve your issues!!
Yes they are Expensive!
Just go get a demo/try them at home as you get a full refund on their return.
But I gurantee once you try them, Then remove them^^ I doubt very much you will want to return as you will be so shocked you will put them back.
Trust Me!!
Talk to the chaps at C-Company.
The SL2’s are fantastic resonant free flambouyant Radiators…
SM7 if you really want to hear them Sing.
What are you Scared off?
What have you got to lose by giving them a home demo.

1 Like

Just to be clear Jazz I have absolutely no need or desire to put my SL2s on any of these miracle silent mounting things! The speakers are correctly set up and sound fantastic.

3 Likes

This is interesting reading since I find I need to raise my Dynaudio’s. my speakers on the Dynaudio stands are about 4” 10cm to low. Tweeters should be at ear level when seated. So I’m going to buy 3” thick solid Black Walnut platforms. My carpet with underlay is about 1” or 25mm thick, stands have about 30mm of adjustment. Initially I’m going to try to just put the platforms on the carpet without any spikes if it’s not stable enough I’ll add spikes. Concrete floor under the carpet.

Why not a Mana Sound Base?

Thin hard carpet may be the :key: to your success.

1 Like

I’ll look into the Mana Base. Changing the carpet is a total non starter, it’s an open floor plan, carpet runs through 3 rooms and is about 1500sq feet or about 140 sq meters.

One option is to cut out a space in the carpet and install a solid floor hifi area there.

@JimDog… Seriously dude, I’ll run that by the wife, you must be single. Hahaha BTW, the floor is already Concrete.
As for the Mana base they’re out of business, and I’m not a fan of glass shelves.

1 Like

You really need to update your thinking. It’s no good saying that you are happy with what you have and that it sounds great. You really should be getting some Silent Mounts or IsoAcoustics Gaias. The Silent Mounts are a bit out of my budget so I’m using four Spontex heavy duty pan scourers under each of my SL2s and they are so much better. I’m baffled as to why Naim didn’t include them in the original design.

3 Likes

Yes I know, I know Nigel. On reflection it is absurd for me to be happy with the way Naim designed the SL2s or to suggest that these silent mouse things might not completely transform the way the speakers present music. I need to urgently get the Silent Mouse things under my SL2 spikes.

… is as far as I can go. Shouldn’t be too hard to deduce workable dimensions - watch out to leave sufficient support at corners and keep it thick. You’d want the SL2 spikes to centre (exactly) in the cups.

Probably MDF would be most dimensionally stable. Veneer to (near) match speakers.

Or use Fablon! (sticky-back plastic) for a classy finish.

3 Likes

Count me out mine are on Fraim chips, laminate floor with concrete below :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, Fraim Chips sound brilliant but Silent Mounts sound rubbish because Naim didn’t make them.

1 Like

My Sopra-3s are spiked through the carpet onto a plywood suspended floor. The whole point of spiking, I thought, was to couple the speaker to floor. So with Chord’s Silent Mounts on carpet wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of spiking. I’m interested because it may allow moving the speakers for fine tuning and also improve SQ. So would these devices on carpet increase SQ?

Under carpet for the silent mounts, with a circular hole in the carpet to let the spikes be in contact with the SM.

They are even recommended by @Cymbiosis.

2 Likes

The Chord website suggests that they can be used on the carpet

Indeed it can, I became interested when I noticed a number of demonstrators at the Bristol show 2019 using them, in hotel rooms with carpet. Whilst I am thinking that they were probably on loan, as were speaker cables, I thought there must be a reason.

Once in place, there is a settling and I will be the first to admit that there is a very slight rocking movement. The effect I mention above of reducing the ringing of the speaker stands doesn’t need measuring equipment, it is a hands on experience. I could quite probably have purchased alternative stands, however the slim, see through nature is domestically acceptable.