What to put SL2s on?

Just a note!!
From all the demos I have witnessed/listened to^^
Regardless of the surface the SMT’s are placed on…
Carpet
Tiled floor
Concrete
Wood

The end results are the same.

Suggest you check out cymbiosis website/chat with the guys there^^ The info on their website answers all your Questions as to how “Silent Mounts” came be to be developed at etc.

Yes, I agree, very thick carpet might not be ideal. On the other hand, tatami mats, especially new ones, are not very stable either. I have a complete 500-level system, with SL cabling, but I’m sure I would hear the difference in a more modest setup. It’s really amazing to me how good SL2s can be, and how readily they respond to tweaks of various kinds.

I’m assuming you are not in the US. The Cable Company does sell Silent Mounts, and they might have a set in their “lending library,” but it’s not clear whether they lend internationally. If you do get to borrow a set from somewhere, the change is immediately obvious, but they do need several days to truly settle in.

1 Like

System today…

2 Likes

Yes, there’s undoubtedly an influence on SQ depending on what surface the spikes are resting on.

I’d be surprised if anyone on this thread would deny that.

I just tried these SL2s on concrete floor with thick carpet and underlay; thick concrete slabs; 10mm slate roof tiles, and 10mm glass shelves - listed in order to worst to best SQ.

Each one sounded significantly different - dramatically so in some cases.

In some cases I did one speaker and then flicked the balance back and forth to compare the two effects.

The glass and slate were the most similar, but still noticeably different.

I’m happy with them as they are - but I know SQ could get even better with better support.

Yes, I thought perhaps there was still a bit of underlay upsetting the levels when I tried the spikes into the floor.

Adam, can you say what you use now as regards speakers and what they are resting on (apart from their laurels)?

You really should have the speakers pointing straight ahead, or toed in just a couple of degrees, rather than pointing in so much.

Our concrete floor is covered with incredibly hard bitumen tiles, which were stuck to the floor when the house was built. They are effectively part of the floor. So when we spike the speakers through the carpet they are on a perfectly solid and non crumbly surface. I wonder if bonding these tiles to your concrete is possible - not if you are moving I suppose.

I tried concrete slabs under SBLs once and they made the sound screamingly bright. The problem with resting slabs on carpet is that there will be movement, and movement that may or may not interact well with the sprung base of the speakers.

I’d suggest that to judge the effect you need a few days with each setup. I certainly can’t tell what’s what by flicking from one to the other, and just end up confused. I think on balance if the hard tiles are not possible I’d be putting chips under the carpet.

1 Like

Thanks HH - that’s very useful advice.

I have tried them on the slate tiles and on the glass shelves with zero toe in and with a few mm and as they are, and even pointing directly at my head.

Also in many many variants of pulled out from the wall and moved side to side.

All rather hard work - and of course once I find the sweet spot, then zip the tiles out from under them and plant them and rebalance them the sweet spot has almost certainly budged a bit.

Truly a swine to set up - but such a joy to listen to!

Definitely worth it in the end - and even now in the midst of the installation process.

cheers
Jim

For what it’s worth if I have missed something so far sorry… put them as close to the rear wall as possible, like HH said don’t toe them in as much as you have, they only need about 5mm toe into the centre of your listening area. Now here’s one of the 2 things you or your wife may not like. First I would cut a slit into the carpet and underlay so you can insert Fraim chips on to the concrete floor. If it is a concern you could also remove the underlay where the chips sit so the carpet looks nice and flat, I’m guessing the chips will be around the same thickness as your underlay or almost as thick . The other big thing that I would do is remove the tv and stand you could mount the TV to the wall, Or even better get rid of the TV and just use music as your main entertainment, (Television is so depressing these days) The stand between the sl2 speaker Is affecting the sound stage this is why you have them like that. I have phased mana under my rack and enjoy what it does for the olives, i have a wooden sprung floor and used mana sound bases under my old credos, I found they worked ok for the hifi factor etc but took that naim “fairy dust” away, remembing the sound bases won that award way back (John still lives that dream) for entry level speakers (I think it was up to £500 speakers) and not the esoteric level because the esoteric level have Inc suspension systems like the SL2 or just do not need it. I would suggest the sl2 base is designed just fine and all they need is a ground to earth type setup and not more suspension/decoupling. So Fraim chips on to the floor with nothing in between the speakers. I found fraim chips sitting on carpet does not work so well, the speakers become unstable and sound goes all pussy with lack of attack.
I have sl2 speakers sitting on marine grade stainless steel bolts screwed into the floorboards. I also have Fraim chips waitIng for new carpet once this lock down is over.
That’s my 2 cents good luck.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree.
Would sound better with the telly on the wall, or gone.
I did argue for that, but did not insist.
We watched The Deer Hunter tonight.
First time in about 15 years.
Now that’s a good :movie_camera:

Actually, I’m getting your idea now.
Are you saying I just need a rock solid base to plant the speakers on?

So maybe a very thick piece of MDF with three very good quality long adjustable spikes?

Then the SL2 spikes can be short into that solid base above the carpet?

But that’s only worth spending the time to create if I don’t move house.

That is exactly the point I was trying to make using Adams post

1 Like

Yes JimDog that’s correct. If you had a solid platform which was spiked into the floor beneath the thick carpet then, although probably not as optimum as having the SL2s themselves spiked into the solid floor, it should not be too different.

I’d love to try a pair of the SL2 sub-tables (using Fraim materials and parts). It must be possible to do or arrange if one was a skilled joiner / furniture maker.

one of my best mates is a cabinet maker
so if we stay in this house I’ll get him to make me a pair of these

Excellent! I wonder if @Adam.Meredith is able to share the specs / measurements from the SL2 Sub Table design?

What are your SL2s sited on at the moment Dave?

Through the carpet and into the chipboard below:

I also used Mana stands under my SL2. Actually I think I have still somewhere.

Highly recommended!

//Jonas

1 Like

How long are the spikes on them?

Are these mana stands under your Kudos?

That should be fine so long as it’s nice & solid. Not sure what you’d gain from adding another layer between the speaker spikes and the floor. I guess if you can get a platform made up cheap enough it’s probably worth the experiment.

And Titanium…