What was the first CD you bought?

Brothers in Arms,Dire Straits. In the days when you DDD,ADD,or AAD CD’s.

Indigo Girls - Rites of Passage in the early 1990s, although I hadn’t got a CD player at the time, but was about to buy one. I auditioned CD players by Naim, Linn and Roksan and plumped for the Roksan. I held off from CDs for a long time but the move to CDs was driven by some albums no longer being released on vinyl.

Dire Straits- Making Movies.

It was a Denon CD player if I remember rightly. I was amazed at how loud it was compared to the vinyl on the Rega t/t.

steve

I think I bought Miles Davis, Kind of Blue and told myself it sounded much better than the LP, now I’m not so sure.

1 Like

Bavouzet plays Schumann

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What was the last CD you bought

I can’t remember. But I do remember holding out for many years before succumbing. I was always more into vinyl.

Must have been about 1991. I was working at EMI at the time and could get a staff discount!

I’ve wracked my brain ever since this topic was first started and I still have no idea what CD or more likely batch of CDs I bought first, how frustrating and bloody annoying!

@Richard.Dane Hi Richard, i posted this in wrong thread Oops!

please can you move it to 'what was the last CD you bought?

sorry for bother! : (

1 Like

Moved for you Debs.

1 Like

Thanks Richard! :+1:

<>

To oblige with an on topic response; my first CD purchase was made in the early 90s…
at a time when CDs were darn expensive : /
I’m not absolutely certain but have a good idea it was probably:

2 Likes

My first CD player came with vouchers for two free CDs. I know one of them was Brothers In Arms, can’t for the life of me think what the other was but Invisible Touch by Genesis rings a bell. As others have pointed out, there wasn’t a lot of choice on the shelves in the early days.

Having just purchased my Phillips cd player…the first cd was Dire Straits, Love over Gold

2 Likes

You can’t imagine forking out £39.80p for a chart CD today, can you?

1 Like

Between 1978 and 1992 (when they went under) I used to buy every single release put out by Factory Records.

The label released the Durutti Column’s Domo Arigato in 1985, and it was famous for being the first non-classical release to only come out in the still-new CD format (eg no LP or cassette - although it did come out as a double LP on Nippon Columbia/Factory/Denon in Japan).

I bought it on the day of release (it was £17 or £18, a lot of money back then) but I had nothing to play it on. It wasn’t until a year later that I actually heard it - my then brother in law, a flash bastard, bought a big Trio CD stack system and he let me tape it.

I was very disappointed. A live album recorded in Japan, it was a sterile and very dry (as well as largely bass-free) recording, lacking the atmosphere that Durutti fans had come to know and love.

I bought quite a few CDs after that but didn’t actually own a player until 1991!

2 Likes

I think you should change your name to something like FAC552-Kevster :grinning:

1 Like

Certainly not one from today’s charts :sunglasses:

That was my second purchase, and I thought it sounded bloody amazing!

Weary Blues by Langston Hughes. I had heard it on the radio but could not find it on vinyl. When I saw it on CD, I bought a Madrigal Proceed CD player. Next I bought the Dire Straits CD, and we were off to the races.

1 Like

Having decided in 1989 that it was impossible to get classical music on vinyl any more, I moved into the world of silver discs with a Micromega Trio and gave it its first spin with this, I still enjoy it on the NDX now.

3 Likes