What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

An outlet cannot “sound” like anything.

2 Likes

Pre run-in mains cables are available why not mains sockets too :wink:

I’ve never been convinced by something that sounds dreadful for weeks before turning into a silk purse. How do they develop them? And does the clock get reset if there are design changes? :thinking:

People can spend most of their life waiting for various hi-fi items to run-in :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

Come on,
Otherwise, how will Furutech take care of its employees ?!

Lejonklou Slipsik 7.1 for my Linn LP12 and Adikt on the way. Anyone using one? :blush:

5 Likes

Either way it’s a non issue. Use the socket for something like the TV or phone charge station and you’ll burn through 500 hrs in, well 500hrs! But what I mean is, with very little downtime. I have some Furutech sockets waiting for a new home and I am positive that the way my kids use the TV, they’ll run it in for me so fast I won’t even have time to think whether or not I hear a difference.

If there is a difference (and I don’t care to come down on that topic one way or the other) I can imagine how fresh rhodium coating or polish from the factory leaves high resistance coating on the contacts that takes some time and pressure to dissipate. … though I’m not using the fancy Rhodium stuff. Just the bottom of the range sockets with nothing fancy.

1 Like

Here is an update on interconnect cables, recently loaned for comparison.

4 Likes

Rhodium has become the ‘darling of plating’ during the last years. It allows manufacturers to charge more so I think this plays a role too(?) It’s not a great conductor to begin with and it tends to sound somewhat cold and clinical/analytical. Tight and detailed too. This can be a good thing but I’m cautious with the amount of Rhodium plated connectors in my system 'cos you can easily end up with a too much of a good thing result.

Euro / Shuko PowerLines come with Rodium plated Furutechs at one end. That means 4 in my case. Step by step I took out the other Rhodium plugs and replaced them either with gold or plain nickel. That was the C19 connector for the power strip and at both sides of the power cord on the PSU for the EE8 switch. It was surprising (ok maybe not) how significant the change of the connector for the power strip was.

1 Like

Which Furutech models did you go with? The plating and connectors might very well do more for the sound than the actual cable. That is what my testing starts to tell me at least.

From reading about Rhodium and plating not everything comes down to how great conductor the material is. If so I guess Furutech would not use rhodium on their high end stuff and Naim not chose it for their Powerline. That would be suicide being a brand selling at that price to very picky ears.

I’m not saying Rhodium is not a good plating material. Not at all but it has a certain sonic signature. Just like any other plating btw. So in this example, Rhodium throughout (or a lot) is not necessarily a good thing.

Furutech and IeGo have a few series where they have both Gold and Rhodium versions of the same plugs. It’s easy and interesting to make up some power cords that are identical, only with a different plating. You’ll be surprised (understatement) how big the differences are.

For the power strip I used a C19 Nickel plated Shunyata CopperConn connector btw.

Fully agree. It was a night and day difference replacing my 40 year old outlet with Furutech NCF Rhodium outlet. No one could ever argue such if they would hear it. And I agree with the sonic signature it has added. Right now not sure if it is what I wanted but I’ll wait a couple of week. My Entreq power strip also contain Furutech rhodium plugs and jacks and so does the Powerline so Rhodium all the way.

If not I’ll go with the Furutech Gold outlet version instead to evaluate what that does. I’m lacking some of the warmth and coziness I had with the old outlet right now but many claim rhodium changes after a lot of hours on it.

Synergy.

Old one looks pretty done :smile:

4 Likes

Picked up a used PS Audio P5 - putting it through the paces. My Dac and preamp seem to like it, NAP250DR jury still out

2 Likes

Oddly enough, the US PowerLines come with entry level Furutech plugs using just brass pins. I know Naim favour that as a like-for-like connection in the socket.

:thinking:

Oh wait… that’s because with 120v it only matters half as much. :sunglasses:

1 Like

What plating does the UK Powerline have then?

1 Like

UK is Naim’s own plug, not Furutech. AFAIK it is just good old perfectly fine non plated brass.

New DAC day! It came with USB power supply cable, coaxial and optical digital cables and cost me £8.95 new, including postage, yup I feel robbed.

I am going to use it to drive the VU meters from the RPi /Allo digi one digital output in my current project, Sony TC-209 SD ‘cassette deck hack’.

3 Likes

should add a linear power supply for 3k to it. Would significant enhance your listening experience :wink:

2 Likes

The best upgrade so far.:grin:

25 Likes

The use of a linear PSU is a distinct possibility, the Sony is equipped with a number of regulated linear power supplies, (none of them currently 5V but this can be changed), but all of them discrete technology, (DR), hoorah!
That is the way they did it back in 1975. :0)

2 Likes

I’ve just replaced my 252 DR with a used and recently serviced and DRd 552.
Big improvement in SQ similar to the upgrade to ND 555 from the NDX2.
Very pleased with the extra detail and clarity. Sounds very good through the Kudos 707s.

41 Likes