What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Nytech CA352. Nytech from the 80s is alive and well. Hand built in Wales to order. I have a few weeks to wait.

Many wish Naim were making such things.

25 Likes

That looks very neat. Nice to see Nytech back from the dead and building kit in the UK. I hope they can make a success of things. I still have my CTA252XDII (still needing a full service though) as well as my ION Obelisk 3X + X-Pak and FMT2.

4 Likes

And the best form factor too: shoebox.

3 Likes

They can do you a full service for you Richard and there are spare kits for diyers. Check their site for more details.

1 Like

Thought I’d try this, noticed that the SC still had a standard power cable. I have no idea if it’s made a difference or not.

5 Likes

What do you have on the XPS DR and 250 @Pete_the_painter? Ideally, you’d want a matching set of power leads.

It’s on the Super Cap, the other 2 (250/XPS) have power lines.

1 Like

It would be very worthwhile putting a Powerline on the SC (sorry, but it’s good advice…it would be a great addition to have the full loom). The EVO3 is a good cable, put it on your Atom or a bluray player if you have one, but matching Powerlines across the main system is very worthwhile in my experience.

I bought it thinking it would have to be better than the bog standard power cord we get here.

Had good listen yesterday and it’s no better or worst. I was trying to stop an annoying buzz coming from the SC.

Maybe start a thread about that one, it would be good to get it fixed.

I think it’s a common problem with a lot of there power supplies. It use to happen, I’d turn it off and it’d be ok now it seems constant.

1 Like

I doubt any power lead would eliminate buzzing transformers, as buzzing is usually caused by noise on the mains, generally from other appliances. A dedicated mains would very likely fix things but it’s not guaranteed, though it’s a good idea for Peter’s new property.

It’s a shame that people believe the standard Naim lead isn’t much cop just because it comes ‘free’. There are lots of leads around that cost quite a lot but make no difference or make things worse - just like this Isotek, which is just money wasted in this case.

3 Likes

Well spotted. I did some wiring sketches today and included a dedicated line into my studio. :+1:

Re the buzzing don’t think, although you can ever be sure it isn’t another appliance. Oddly I’m listening now and it’s disappeared. I try hard not to worry too much about these things as it often leads down a rabbit hole or a money pit. Enjoy the music, cheers.

2 Likes

A DC blocker will most likely save you from transformer hum.

1 Like

A little birthday present to myself. I decided to upgrade from my old original Audioquest Dragonfly to the Dragonfly Cobalt. Very good it is too!

21 Likes

Happy Birthday @Richard.Dane

3 Likes

Happy birthday @Richard.Dane and thank you for your ceaseless work on here. It’s much appreciated. Hope you have a great day.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @Richard.Dane

1 Like

Hmmm I was seriously looking at this a while back.

Can you comment on how it performs compared to the Chord Mojo?

And can you form an opinion as to how some Focal headphones will sound with this compared to an Atom HE. Not at all expecting it to be anywhere close but would I be able to keep my lunch down?

I ended up not getting it as it is hard to demo at this stage and did not want to just throw money and hope.

[EDIT] Oh sorry! Happy birthday!

1 Like

Thanks all, although as per another thread, my birthday was just after Christmas, but appreciate the best wishes all the same.

Kryptos, I’ll need to dig out my Hugo and compare - sorry I don’t have a Chord Mojo. Also, I don’t have an Atom HE or any Focal headphones with which to compare (hoping to remedy the latter sometime). The main attraction with the Dragonfly is size, form, and convenience. No need for any drivers either. Oh, and it’s relatively inexpensive too. This one cost about the same as my original and it’s definitely a step or two up in performance so far. I’ll need to dig out my Sennheiser HD600s and see how they get on - balanced from the Ponoplayer is definitely my reference here, as well as for a few others I know…

1 Like