What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

Looks nicely made and seems to be based around a couple of IC chip amps which makes for a very simple and robust design. Should be very reliable too with full protection usually designed into the IC. Will be interesting to hear how it stacks up against your Naim amps.

1 Like

Only the CB Nait2 is left Mr.Tibbs.

I’ve been soaking myself with the sounds of the Ion Obelisk 3 lately as the sound is meant to be similar (same DNA). It is rather enjoyable I have to say.

2 Likes

Finally reached the end of the ladder (starting with nac102 in 1996):

They will go out for service, recapping and dr-ing next week.

39 Likes

Cambridge Audio Minx X301 sub, arrived today.

Trying out this initial position so it looks a bit of a mess cableswise. Not that it ever looks tidy, lol.

Thus far…pretty darn good, tho I may have to limit use on my Reggae and Dub records for when downstairs go out.
I’m liking the gravitas and depth it gives to some orchestral recordings too. £400 well spent.

6 Likes

I use a Boa Costrictor strap wrench for the final tightening of the legs on my Hi-fi Racks rack:

I dismantle, dust and reassemble my rack every 6 months.

It’s “baby brother” is useful for tightening Burndy and Snaic connections, too:

1 Like

Speaking of which, I returned from a trip to York yesterday after having a new Ekos SE, Keel, Karousel and a longer Snaic installed on my LP12:

23 Likes

:thinking: So… for a Prefix…?

A SNAIC is a Naim thing… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have had several of these for many years and they grip very well.

It’s possible to look at sleeves and read booklets while playing the CD rips. Just sayin’ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes. A Prefix S. I didn’t like that my HiCap was directly underneath my NAC-N 272, due to the length of the Snaic.

Here’s a link to my earlier post in the “Show us your Sondek” thread:

1 Like

You’re not alone :+1:
We (me and my dear wife), feel the same way.

Another factor… Many of our CD’s were bought at gigs, they are birthday and Christmas gifts, or have some other special memory.

1 Like

I also keep mine for the booklets and special memories, but it doesn’t mean that a CD player is required. Prying them out of cardboard sleeves always adds fine scratches as well. I just take them out once and rip them.

3 Likes

Of course :+1:

I just mentioned it because I read so many times “I need a CD player because I like my booklets” when people lament the demise of their Naim players.

3 Likes

Ah… so I’m not quite mad yet…!!! Keep The Faith with Naim…!!

I see your LP12 is from c.1990…? A mere youngster… mine is from 1981 - and has only recently received a Linn Lingo Mk1 (fully serviced now).

10 Likes

Nice! It’s good to see an Ittok is still in use and I’d love a smoked lid for mine.

I was sad to say goodbye to my Ittok, but I was assured by The Sound Organisation that the Ekos SE is a fantastic upgrade. I think the Ekos is also a great looking arm, though.

I’m definitely sticking with Naim for amplification and Linn for turntable bits. Also, I’m never going to replace my afromosia plinth.

2 Likes

Flutes are best :+1:

2 Likes

Thats from 1982… Cost was £253-00 - which was a lot, then.

Agree, re Naim & Linn. Horses for Courses…?

I am amused that Fluted Plinths have been re-introduced - as a cost option… :astonished:

2 Likes

Agreed!

Whilst mine is a couple of years older than yours it also has an Ittok, now with a Dynavector 10x5. I could have upgraded to a non-fluted base some years back at a good price but decided I liked the classic fluted look. I also like the smoked lid and have never felt the need to update it. The power supply is now a Hercules but otherwise all Linn components.

2 Likes