What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?

With that system you want a Planar 10, or maybe a Naiad. I should be on commission.

Even the 8 is stretch given my 200 or so albums. Lots more vinyl to buy before rationalizing a p10. Good news is Iā€™m on it :wink:

3 Likes

Just installed Furutech NCF wall sockets. Letā€™s see how they develop. Some claim they need a good 500h to settle.

9 Likes

I didnā€™t count the hours but yes, a long timeā€¦
I use a gold version for the Farad LPSU on the EE8. (as recommended by Farad)

Is that the time needed for the outlet to settle or for our ears to get used to the differences it might bring? Hard to tell. Probably a bit of both. But 500h, that quite a long time.

I bought four of those (NFC/R) for my system, and two of the gold plated version (my Nordost cables are gold plated).

Iā€™ll probably try both.

Burn in is a delicate subject when raised on forums, very emotional sometimes, which I hardly understand btwā€¦

(I donā€™t see the point of getting emotional about gear. I can get emotion when my crampons go wrong on a hard climb, but with HiFiā€¦)

I unfortunately wonā€™t be able to experience the burn in of my outlets and cable as Iā€™ll plug everything in one go. But itā€™ll be interesting to experience the burn in of the system as a whole.

My Naim system took ages to perform at its best.

Probably likely a bit of both. I have the earlier outlets left in the same room so I easily can swap and compare later on. Itā€™s a dramatic difference out of the box that is for sure compared to the ones from early 80s that the system was connected to before.

1 Like

What was your experience out of the box compared to when everything settled? :slightly_smiling_face:

In this case the socket is not directly in the system but only powering the PSU for my switch. Itā€™s also 14 meters away from my system and connected to a different mains group. I used it 'cos I already had it, just to make sure I left no crumbs on the table so to speak.

Nevertheless, the improvement from the old drugstore socket it replaced was not difficult to hear. Nothing major but worth the trouble. But in this context, the changes from the burn in were not as pronounced. Only after a good week or so, things smoothed out and sounded more relaxed.

1 Like

Glad they have worked out for you Bevo. They certainly look a very intriguing design, and of course are rather unique being a very limited production run. If i didnā€™t i have my n-SATs then i think i wouldā€™ve most certainly tried to track down a pair. Enjoy!

But if you have 200 albums you really, really like then the likes of the Planar 10 /LP12 etc stop being an extravagance - and more of a means of extracting the last nuance out .

2 Likes

A pair of JBL L52 Classic - not as blue as most photos online make out! These will be used in the family room and to play out into the garden. Definitely a ā€œparty speakerā€ and throughly enjoyable in that context

23 Likes

I have trouble amortizing the turntable cost over the value of the vinyl.
Unsure if the nuances are worth it, but trust Iā€™ll have some fun figuring it out :sunglasses:

1 Like

Have to say, your loudspeakers are a thing of beauty.

Thanks, Iā€™m not sure the SFā€™s are the best bang for the buck, but for me they look and sound great. A nice piece of industrial design!

1 Like

Couldnā€™t have put it any better. Much more eloquent than my description.

1 Like

I was going to buy a project rcm to replace my spin clean. Would a humminguru be a better choice I wonder?

Do you just use distilled water in these things?

Iā€™ve been thinking about the 52s or 82s in blue for a new dining kitchen. The JBLs have been calling to me like a sirenā€™s dulcet song ever since the L100 got re released.

Shame about the dark hue. Was hoping for the retro blue.

The long burn-in was attributed to the material used with the NCF. Some may think it is the ears adjusting to the sound. In my case, the change in the final moments was abrupt and quite dramatic as the sound suddenly opened up from nowhere.

In my experience, first 100 hours the quality goes up and down, 100-500 hours very little change, and when you thought thatā€™s the best sound you are getting, the last wave hits you as a surprise. When I read the experiences of people who installed this GTX-D NCF on another forum, I couldnā€™t really believe it as I wasnā€™t hearing any more changes in the sound after 200 hours. I was caught by surprise on one fine day, at about 500 hours.

1 Like

My Project RCM died last night. Load of smoke from the exhaust coupled with a griding noise, then some ball bearings dropped out of the bottom.
I suspect the bearings seized or collapsed, allowing the plastic vanes in the vac pump to clash with the casing. In short its failed.
Hoping the supplier will see itā€™s not fit for purpose and replace FOC.

I use demin /softened water in my Humming Guru.

Right now with maybe 20-30h on it I find it lacks bass, sounds a bit harsh, thin and uninspiring. Fatigue. It is however very similar to what many others experienced in the first 1-200h of use so Iā€™ll give it a week or two and then compare to my old outlets and see what happens.