What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

Good choice. Just like you I had Arcam cd/streamer which I disliked streaming wise.

5 Likes

………Back to the bars……….

IMG_1625

On order.

11 Likes

Testing the silver plated cable for the Meze Empyreans.

It does brighten the top end. We can now hear the drummers’ ride cymbals more clearly. Empyreans can be overly warm at times even with Hugo providing the power.
Of course the cymbals have to be recorded properly in the first place.
Hyperion/Hough test tonight.
Yes,I think they will be staying.

1 Like

that’s where the mojo 2 DSP is brilliant in tweaking a headphones curve

Hi-fi purchasing has taken a bit of a back seat recently, partly to a splurge earlier in the year and I am very happy with the resulting uplift in sound quality. However, a plastic lid from a tub of Sainsbury’s brownie bites is now being used to stop 2 kittens from changing the volume of the bedroom Star. Not an intentional purchase but it does stop the two furry hooligans from causing me to think I am going deaf rather rapidly or being blasted by R6 as I am reading in bed.

7 Likes

Oops, it’s happened again…
Travelling in my campervan around Europe, we were starting our route home when I spotted an amp for sale online that was tempting. Very…

Many years ago I had a Musical Fidelity P170. It was good, powering my IMF RSPM speakers very enjoyably. After a dozen years or so I upgraded to the P270, which brought more of everything. I lusted after the next one up, the A370 and the top one in the range, the SA470 - though once I learned the size, weight and fuel consumption of the 470 my lust focussed on the 370 - but none appeared for sale.

I changed my speakers to PMC EB1, bought a Bryston amp, then another and converted to active using an ATC dome mid. Happiness personified.

Then October returning from a campervan trip to Europe I spotted my nemesis speakers for sale at a bargain price, the MB2, and they promptly replaced the EB1, and although just a stereo amp the sound was mesmerising.

What I saw for sale at the end of this trip was the MF A370. Some thought. Contemplation. More. Look at map and ferries - shifted return ferry to Blighty to an ungodly early hour, waved to Stonehenge and thought of Salisbury late morning arrived in Dorset for lunchtime check - and travelled home 40kg heavier!

I’ve just connected it and am not disappointed. There are no superlatives left - the sound is simply great. I need to do some AB comparisons, but I doubt I’d be caught out. Fuel consumption means I must be particularly vigilant about turning off after each session (reportedly 650W, even at idle). It is nominally 185WPC, Class A, and a review I read some time ago said it truly doubles output as impedance drops (my speakers are 4 ohm) so nominally 370W, and peak capability claimed to be 50 amps! Effortless is a word that has been used to describe it, and I don’t disagree.

That is two campervan trips that have unexpectedly ended with my bringing home a major, unplanned, hifi component. Do I dare go away again???

14 Likes

Fabfilter Pro q3 crossover and Motu Ultralite mk5 dac.

With the dac and the active crossover (software) I can begin to get even better sound with more options.

Also bought a Hicap cb this evening

650W, blimey. A couple of those and I wouldn’t have needed the Everhot.

1 Like

Yes, I had to think about it before deciding whether to go and hear it. At today’s rate where I live that is something getting on for 20p per hour to play music (plus half hour warm up if I do that). And in winter it would reduce central heating cost slightly as I guess that room wouldn’t need additional heat when playing music.

Actually out of curiosity I just put a plug-in meter on it, and only(!) shows 510W.

Just added a secondhand Rega Neo. To my used P3. It seems to have a subtle impact on the sound. The big impact seems to be less maybe non existent hum over the standard power supply.

I’m waiting on a couple of used Russ Andrew items (power bar and yello mains cable). Then that is it. I experimented with one yello on the amp and then another on the CD player. All made a difference, for me at least.

6 Likes

What do you think of it. Someone proposed one of those to me instead of an Auralic Altair G1

After using Isoblue for 20+ years ive just changed from this

to this with surprising results.

9 Likes

The SS looks good in comparison! Maybe it’s the extra spacers on the Iso that I’m not keen on, and…

Isoblue orange???

Or is it the photo.

Interesting. Is it the Solidsteel S 3-2 Rack? What is your experience, does it sound better? Are you satisfied? Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

I have some Solidsteel. I have their WS-5 turntable wall shelf. I’ve seen nothing better.

I also have that two-shelf rack you just got. I don’t really use it anymore (it has my printer on it). However, later this year I might get a Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT and a HRS platform, so I might use my Solidsteel rack for them.

It’s solid stuff. :slight_smile:

My whole house is 200w idle, It better be otherworldly running that “hot” :partying_face:

I’ve no idea what my house is on ‘idle’, with fridge, freezers, internet, router and NAS, aside from anything else, but I guess it is somewhat more than 200W. The amp only adds when it is on - it is not something to be left on when not in use, and warms up in half an hour or less.

It’s deffo cherry as I bought it off him! My battered isoblue in matching cherry is now the tv rack.

Do you get better prints…
improved definition…
clearer and cleaner type…
discernible space between the lines…
perhaps just more of everything…
Could start a new trend…

1 Like

How do you find the Isis/Osiris pairing?

Been somewhat tempted even if the CD is allegedly coming to the end of its manufacturing life.

ATB, J