What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2023?

That looks like a very clever display/screen.

2 Likes

I know that, but however a very heavy cartridge works not optimally on a Rega arm. It’s designed to be lightweight, from the chassis to the arm.
It doesn’t mean that it won’t work with an additional heavy counterweight.

4 to 11g is most likely related to cartridges that you can balance with the stock 100g counterweight. Also, at 11g effective mass the rega tonearm falls under the medium to light mass category, right around what most manufacturers have been doing for quite a while now. On the basis of what, technically speaking, are you making the assertion that a heavy cartridge like the Umami would not be optimal on a rega tonearm?

I made at that time my research, when searching which cartridge would fit the best on the Rega P10/ Rp10. I read some forums, like Steve Hoffman, Vinyl engine…asked some dealers and even talked by mail with Michael Fremer. The recommendations where of course Rega own cartridges, Benz Micro, Ortofon, Van den Hull and Lyra.
I choosed the Lyra Kleos.

2 Likes

A Soundcore Motion Boom (what a name!) Bluetooth speaker for use in the garden. Remarkably good sound with amazing bass. No, it’s not hi-fi but 15 metre cables on my Piegas were not really

an option!

6 Likes

If the cops see that lying around, they might make it go BOOM! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Naim DAC V1 purchased and collected yesterday.
Connected to my MacMini by USB C.
Sadly only a cheap 4 Pin to 5 Pin Din interconnect at the moment. I will invest in a proper Naim one when the other upgrades are complete.
First listen is very nice :blush:
Sadly no time to really put it through any focus testing until Sunday🫤

Quick Update
It’s like my Streamed sound is now 3D instead of the Dragonfly’s much muddier and thinner delivery.

9 Likes

Our new subwoofer. The only slight issue is that it can get a little warm.

8 Likes

No wonder you were selling your Bromptons…

Can you heat, a saucepan or kettle, on the top?

No, it’s really a room heater but you can cook small things inside. We did some baked new potatoes earlier. It only arrived today and had to be run on full power for three hours to burn off residues. It was rather warm, even with the doors open.

1 Like

I had a DAC V1 and loved it, think it’s a very underrated piece of kit.

3 Likes

I have a Naim Mu-so 2 for our backyard deck. That is a brilliant solution and sounds wonderful. During the winter months I use it for our bedroom TV (which otherwise has a Qb2).

I’m sure it sounds great but new it’s 14 times the price of the Anker unit! :hot_face:

Good choice. Just like you I had Arcam cd/streamer which I disliked streaming wise.

5 Likes

………Back to the bars……….

IMG_1625

On order.

11 Likes

Testing the silver plated cable for the Meze Empyreans.

It does brighten the top end. We can now hear the drummers’ ride cymbals more clearly. Empyreans can be overly warm at times even with Hugo providing the power.
Of course the cymbals have to be recorded properly in the first place.
Hyperion/Hough test tonight.
Yes,I think they will be staying.

1 Like

that’s where the mojo 2 DSP is brilliant in tweaking a headphones curve

Hi-fi purchasing has taken a bit of a back seat recently, partly to a splurge earlier in the year and I am very happy with the resulting uplift in sound quality. However, a plastic lid from a tub of Sainsbury’s brownie bites is now being used to stop 2 kittens from changing the volume of the bedroom Star. Not an intentional purchase but it does stop the two furry hooligans from causing me to think I am going deaf rather rapidly or being blasted by R6 as I am reading in bed.

7 Likes

Oops, it’s happened again…
Travelling in my campervan around Europe, we were starting our route home when I spotted an amp for sale online that was tempting. Very…

Many years ago I had a Musical Fidelity P170. It was good, powering my IMF RSPM speakers very enjoyably. After a dozen years or so I upgraded to the P270, which brought more of everything. I lusted after the next one up, the A370 and the top one in the range, the SA470 - though once I learned the size, weight and fuel consumption of the 470 my lust focussed on the 370 - but none appeared for sale.

I changed my speakers to PMC EB1, bought a Bryston amp, then another and converted to active using an ATC dome mid. Happiness personified.

Then October returning from a campervan trip to Europe I spotted my nemesis speakers for sale at a bargain price, the MB2, and they promptly replaced the EB1, and although just a stereo amp the sound was mesmerising.

What I saw for sale at the end of this trip was the MF A370. Some thought. Contemplation. More. Look at map and ferries - shifted return ferry to Blighty to an ungodly early hour, waved to Stonehenge and thought of Salisbury late morning arrived in Dorset for lunchtime check - and travelled home 40kg heavier!

I’ve just connected it and am not disappointed. There are no superlatives left - the sound is simply great. I need to do some AB comparisons, but I doubt I’d be caught out. Fuel consumption means I must be particularly vigilant about turning off after each session (reportedly 650W, even at idle). It is nominally 185WPC, Class A, and a review I read some time ago said it truly doubles output as impedance drops (my speakers are 4 ohm) so nominally 370W, and peak capability claimed to be 50 amps! Effortless is a word that has been used to describe it, and I don’t disagree.

That is two campervan trips that have unexpectedly ended with my bringing home a major, unplanned, hifi component. Do I dare go away again???

14 Likes

Fabfilter Pro q3 crossover and Motu Ultralite mk5 dac.

With the dac and the active crossover (software) I can begin to get even better sound with more options.

Also bought a Hicap cb this evening