What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Can’t go wrong with the top Rega arms! They seem to have a lovely balance of musical flow and dynamic energy to my ears.

Is that an AT- ART9XA ?

Having not long put an OC9XSL on my RB1000 I’m pretty sure your setup sounds wonderful :+1:

2 Likes

I guess it is using the full power range of the amplifier(s) attached to it and it’s 20% more than 80% ! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Excellent - I’m gonna crank mine up then and see what happens.

1 Like

Not such a good idea…you might well reach a point where the amp does not deliver more power, but will go into clipping…risking damage to your speakers.

Hey, yes it is a art9xa and it sounding lovely on the RB2000. :grinning:

1 Like

Hey @opus… It’s a Tangerine Audio Evenstar

It’s not what you’d call cheap (but fortunately it was a birthday gift from my Wife), but the effect is pretty surprising for that cost.

It’s a beautifully machined small record weight/stabiliser for vinyl, sits over the spindle and somehow manages to make records sound cleaner, more focused and give more clarity to vocals. Certainly works an absolute treat on my LP12!

I can wholeheartedly recommend you try and hear the difference for yourself! Not sure if they’re available in the States, but there are a few dealers in the UK that are the distributors of them. Mine was ordered from Cymbiosis, but there are a few other dealers that stock them, too.

1 Like

Initial thoughts please……

It doesn’t , it just make the volume turning lesser to reach the desired listening volume eg… I use to turn up to 11-12 o’clock , now I just need to turn up to 10 o’clock rather than 12 o’clock …

I believe why the default is set to 80 mainly because to prevent accidental turning of the knot to loud volume

I recently got a Teac Washi mat for my Rega P8 and I’m liking it. Didn’t ruin anything and sure looks a lot better than the felt. It was a touch brighter initially. Probably down to it being 1mm lower than the felt so I removed a 1mm spacer from the arm and all is well. It helped a bit with the static I’m plagued with in winter but it’s not a cure-all. Are Rega’s more prone to static build up due to the lack of a ground wire?

1 Like

Went upmarket with the record cleaner……

12 Likes

Don’t get the baize wet!

Looks nicely made that. I have a knosti cleaner that is a lot less fancy looking, no handles etc. Records coming up sparkly?

1 Like

I’ve got that kit. Don’t use the suplied fluid. It leaves a coating on the records “to make the stylus glide better”. I use that kit (slightly older version of) with the Pro-ject fluid instead.

I tend to do a batch of discs. Empty the trough and rinse it. Then fill with distilled water and no solution for the rinse cycle.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I agree with you that objectively the new setup looks worse than before. However in practice it’s much more enjoyable. In most of the cases the REL integrates beautifully with the speakers; there are some songs though where I feel I can probably turn the gain down one click or two.

In a previous experiment where I was trying to place the REL purely based on measurements (paired with Audiovectors R1 at the time), I ended up with the subwoofer in the middle of the room, in front of the TV. Not very practical though!

I used to obtain similar waterfall plots with low decay at low frequencies with my previous Dynaudio C1 Platinum. However at that time, the sound was really booming, which is not the case now. My feeling is that these measurements essentially measure a “steady-state” response, but probably don’t capture the transient response (i.e. the speed of the bass). Probably I need to look deeper on the Impulse Response? (Not that I have a clue about such measurements at the moment).

Finally, indeed there are major room modes at LF, but I imagine that the number of bass traps needed to tame that is not reasonable (and they wouldn’t make a difference at 44Hz anyway). At least having the possibility to control the subwoofer independently of the speakers gives me some additional degrees of freedom for optimising in my room.

Thank you for the reply. How would you compare the progression from WW Matrix ->Fezz->Puritan?

In my case, I need to understand first of all the underlying issue behind the transformer buzzing (DC, overvoltage?) and if solving that would bring any gains to the system performance. I have an Airlink balanced power supply at hand, but I don’t recall it making any difference with the the buzzing. Some careful testing will be needed in due course.

I’ll probably need to borrow a couple of power blocks from dealers around and hear the differences (and understand if DC blocking, filtering etc have a beneficial impact or not). My only comparison so far is WW Matrix vs a cheap block: there I could observe the sound become more lively and energetic with the Matrix. We shall see…

Indeed, it’s a family heirloom, made my wife’s Dad. I’m drying the records with a cloth, so they are just there for a final air dry.

Yes, it is well made, and the records are coming up nice - most aren’t that dirty. Haven’t been able to play now, as their is cricket on.

Damn, I just cleaned 40! I’m only cleaning about 200 and will get some more cleaning fluid. I haven’t thought about rinsing, that will be more fading :flushed:

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier to this - I saw @naimophile had responded about the 222.

1 Like

Haven’t had time to put it in and start comparing. Listening to Puritan Ultimate for now :+1:

1 Like

Hi guys… has anyone try chord groundaray on your streamer/dac or pre ? Heard that this new product is good.

I got 2 of my my naim power line but comes w furutech head… is it a collaboration between naim and furutech or ?

1 Like