What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Let the fun begin

27 Likes

Ultimate is much better than Classic with a Furutech on it. I have bought another Ultimate now that I will put on 500/552 or NDS. Thinking NAP500 might like it the most. Currently all Powerlines.

1 Like

20% off at the Bristol show…

Isoacoustics Gaia III

14 Likes

Snap!..ish…but from Futureshop.

Gaia II’s to see how they fare against my current Gaia III’s on the 805 D3. I suspect the III’s are near their limit with the weight of the (filled) dedicated stands.

10 Likes

Just fed my headphone habit; ZMF Auteur Classic, in Ambrosia Maple no less.

Interesting differences from my (£1k more expensive) Verite Closed. Not quite as sophisticated but with a different, slightly leaner character, that is very enjoyable and suits some listening perhaps more than the pricier model. They feel lighter to wear too. The wood is also gorgeous.

Bruce

10 Likes

Pro-Ject Accu Box S2 power supply for my office headphone system. A significant improvement in sound quality, in particular a much wider and realistic soundstage.

4 Likes

Big change this month, moving from an AllinOne “Nova” + RP10 - DV XX2-Mk2 to a Rega Aethos as Integrated / Rega Aura as pre-phono / Rega P10- Alpheta 3 for the vinyl part and finally a Wattson Audio Emerson Analog for the streaming part :wink:

Proac 10 Signature are staying.

So no more naim at home…after 12 years together.

Moved from Mixed components (12Y) => Counterpoint full system (9Y) => Electrocompaniet full system (12Y) => Naim full system (12Y) => Rega full system…for the coming next 10 Y ? who knows :wink:

3 Likes

Not a purchase but a free “upgrade” from Virgin business. Ifi power supply ordered… Interesting thought in terms of “source first” how much the quality of the modem matters?

New Virgin Citer modem

2 Likes

Why did you choosed a better phono vs the integrated, just curious?
Because you could have choosed Rega Osiris and Rega Aria.

I had the opportunity to test both setup and for my ears Aethos/Aura/P10 was the one i like better…

• Aethos has enought power to drive any speakers (still looking on “JMR Voice Grande” an amazing speakers…pehaps my next one…who knows :wink: )

The Osiris was a bit darker, with more detail but twice the price of the Aethos was to much from me.

2 Likes

Interesting, thanks for having explained. I would think that Osiris, with a better pre and power amp, with the Aria , would still be better vs Aethos / Aura, even if the Aura is better vs the Aria.

A different presentation for sure but as Aethos is a bit more recent…would also assume a new version of Osiris is on Rega’s pipline.
Aethos with Aura is also looking very nice together,…and a really pleasant match with my Proac 10 Sign…strong and agile bass.

1 Like

M2 Mac mini 16gb today. Roon headless server installed along with MinimServe. Few tweaks to complete but nearly done.

Early days but if it stays as is without slowing down like the 8th Gen NUC with 16gb ram then I’ll be very happy.

Very fast and all lag at the moment. Everything feels instant but, we’ll see how it goes as I have seen a slowdown after a couple of days or more on more than one occasion!

4 Likes

Audirvana said Macs without a screen doesn’t activate the GPU meaning the CPU easily overloads. They proposed buying an HDMI screen dongle which I did for 10USD. I also changed by hard drive to SSD. Never had an issue after this. Mac mini 2014.

3 Likes

Never had any issues with the M1 Mac mini and don’t expect any problems with the M2. The Apple silicone SoC systems are very different from intel ones though.

2 Likes

LHY SW-6
Changed my “hifi-rack” network switch yesterday, had an EE-8 (and before that various Cisco / Aruba switches) and am now trying out the LHY Sw-6.

First impressions are very positive. When i had previously installed the EE-8 instead of an Aruba 2530-8G, i did not really notice any difference. Not so with the move to the LHY SW-6, musical notes become a bit more realistic, first noticed it with drums and tophats becoming “crisper” but also true with bass etc.

I used the isolated port on the SW-6 to connect back to my network core (stacked pair of Aruba 2930F’s) for now, so i am guess a combination of that added isolation and the good quality linear power supply in the SW-6 must be largely responsible for the improvements. I might change my uplink to using the fibre port at some point, and then move my NAC272 to the isolated port.

But for now, call me suitable impressed. Just been listening to the Prince track “The Undertaker”, i could almost be in the room with them!

5 Likes

Update : Just received the legacy cable to connect the NDX2 and NPX 300, first impression is wider soundstage and more detailed due to that at first the music seemed slower. I have one concern, there is difference in led one being whiter and the other having bluish tint to it. What may be the reason is the 300 series and 200 have this difference or as the NPX 300 is older than 250 there is a change in the led supplier :thinking:

3 Likes

That’s a big difference which I wouldn’t accept at this level of price. I’d contact the reseller to make a claim.

7 Likes

@Blackbird we do not have authorized dealer here and have to depend on another country and import from there, still my hi line issue is pending with naim support, sometimes I am afraid if in any case the equipment develops an issue then I will be stuck.