What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

@Blackbird

Sounds promising.

I got my PowerLines on that well known Auction site.

When I recently did my change, the dealer took some as PX, but others I sold on, for around £430.

There is a market for them, so if you sell them on, it may cover most of the Puritan Ultimate costs.

DG…

1 Like

Great looking rack, who makes it?

I’m adding a second REL Classic 98… I also ordered a pair of the new Shunyata Gamma XC power cords for the subs. Gamma’s are the new reasonably priced cords.

3 Likes

Wow, very nice. It is a shame that you don’t have classic plus cables to compare with the ultimate - how much better are the ultimates?

Nice to hear that they are an improvement over the power lines as they are cheaper as well.

I highly recommend the 156 and classic plus cables.

1 Like

Thank you, it’s simple but we like it. When we moved house a number of years ago I was forced to come up with something that would fit below the sight line of our living room window sill with minimal budget. The solution was an Ikea hack using a BESTA cabinet . I eliminated the back panel for air flow and cut down additional shelves which I floated on Vibrapods for isolation. It was always intended to be an interim measure, but we’ve had it for 7 years and it hasn’t been a high priority to replace. Maybe one of these days we’ll have something custom built with higher quality materials but it does the job fairly well.

3 Likes

Thank you Adikt. Appreciated your reply. I love the look of your furniture with Naim gears.

1 Like

Thank you. I responded to a similar post from @Bandit in the chain. It’s a budget IKEA hack but it’s served us well.

2 Likes

From what I read Classic and Classic Plus seem to be very close to each other. If that is the case then Ultimate is a big jump. They are not close at all IMO. If one likes it or not is a different question :slight_smile: Ultimate brings out much more detail and sounds more open and easy going/relaxed than Classic. I’ve now changed so I have Ultimate in 552 instead and PL back in 500. Bass amplitude went up a bit. Might prefer this.

1 Like

Wow, what a lovely looking system.
I reckon it’s nicely balanced too.
Nice :+1:

Love what you’ve done with the hifi stand.
Was going to ask you all about that, but then found someone else asked and your reply. Great idea. Very creative.

Just curious, please can you share any more details about the IsoPods?

Wishing you lots of happy listening ?
R

After much “shall i, shant i” cerebral angst, i finally took the plunge on Monday and bought a Hegel Viking to replace my much loved CD5 XS. In the end the decision wasn’t all that difficult. The difference between the two players is really night and day. It had to be done now while i can still sell on a working CD5 XS, she will be missed. If Naim had not left the higher end of the CD market i might not have decided to leave the fold.

12 Likes

Gosh, that’s a beast of a CD player :+1:

I shouldn’t read your posts just in case I go against my better judgement and buy some ultimate cables. With 4 Naim boxes plus wall to PSM156 that would cost nearly £3k! Ouch!

1 Like

Hegel Viking is really an extraordinary player and for being a hi-end product not even expensive. Your turntable with that pickup is not exactly bad either, nice :ok_hand:

1 Like

Yep. Hopefully it’s the last gasp of winter here in Vancouver, British Columbia.

1 Like

Thanks @ratrat. Your questions regarding my isolation tweak made me realize that I made an error in the original post. The isolation feet I used under the shelves are Vibrapods (http://www.vibrapod.com). I’ve been using them in various combinations for around 20 years; they’re inexpensive and I have always felt they made a difference.

Isopods are indeed a very different kinda thing :crazy_face:.

1 Like

@Adikt
Thanks for clarifying. Brilliant.

BW
R

A new Sondek this week, but i’ m already trying to get rid of it. Definetely, vinyl Is a PITA for me

10 Likes

A truly beautiful city :grinning:

1 Like

You bought a new Sondek, but find vinyl a PITA?