What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2024?

Who was Chief of design of Classic and New Classic? I believe the guy for NC left the company recently? Or maybe just consultant.

1 Like

Very interesting. I feel like the KEFs are friendly looking and warm. The Guru’s a bit austere.

But the thing with industrial design is it’s subjective and when we look at product, we bring our own baggage and history to how we view it.

And the visual cues are too suble to make sense of often. There are big factors like colour, knobs, lights etc. But it’s part of a really complex whole. The bevel angle on a fascia; he distance between the fascia edge and a power button or volume knob; the virtical or horizontal lines and their distance; how all these things blend together. When you look at something, you don’t even have to think about it. You just have an instant reaction like, “mmmmmm” or “urgh!” … Unless you’re looking at Linn in which case it’s the visual equivalent of Prozac: you feel nothing at all (or so I’ve read).

1 Like

Thinking about it now the stands play a huge part in the visuals, maybe the Target R2 stands the R3’s are on are creating the brutal impression I’m getting.

Certainly the R3 in the wood finish is a lot softer, but even though reviews of them it that finish say they are lovely I can’t warm to them.

3 Likes

I think he joined B&W speakers.

1 Like

Not much more to say on that is there :smiling_face:

Let’s bear in mind that most other people are very keen on the new design so from that perspective, Naim got the aesthetics spot on and can pat themselves on the back. The fact a few of us struggle with the looks is probably not a big issue for them. Different groups of people struggled with the design of each generation of Naim.

I do wish they’d find their timeless design (whatever that is) and just stick to it though.

My interpretation of their industrial design language was that everything eventually has become a derivative of Statement and aligns with that consistently.

1 Like

Hi, @BigAl .
I have/love those speakers, wireless to my STR-AZ7000ES amp! The up-firing Atmos elements are a huge plus.

Sub I did exchange for JL Audio, for a small upcharge. I simply “could not hear” the Sony sub in my room, wired to the 7000 AV amp.
With the soundbar, the sub may be a better fit. FWIW.

Nick

Wonder what design style Atc electronics fall on then? Certainly not brutalist

5 Likes

I am pleased with the Sony package. I got the HTA7000 first to see how it went, then added the other two components as the soundbar on its own was not enough.

We watched Britain’s Got Talent last night, and I could hear and feel the impact of the subwoofer.

I have not watched anything with much surround information yet, but I think as a package the Sonys will do very nicely. The Bluetooth seens to work very well: it is certainly neater than having wires running all over the place.

It’s not a cheap package by any means, but I do try to keep gear for a good few years.

1 Like

I bought the HTA-7000 about 2 years ago to partner my 77" LG G2. As you say, it’s not cheap especially when you add an SW-AS5 and a pair of SA-RS5’s. It really does punch well above it’s weight in my view.
Just in case you didn’t know, you can add another SUB if you want to (as long as it is powered) along with another left and right. They do have to be wired though, via the SUB, Left and Right ports below the optical port (the plastic tab has to be removed). They don’t have to be Sony speakers either, as long as they are powered they do work. The volume can also be controlled in the normal way. The SUB that i have added really does add a lot of weight to the overall sound and is well worth doing.

I’m sat here watching “Heaven and Hell” playing “Heaven and Hell”, and to be honest, it is pretty good, considering the SW5 is tucked under a small table, and the SR5s are atop my Mission 770e speakers doing their speaker stand job.

I had an av amp running into my 52/135s at my old house, but my circumstances and life has changed greatly since then, and the Sony package fits really nicely into the lounge, which a family room, not a hifi dem room.

E-arc and Bluetooth is very convenient:I just turned the Samsung TV off and the Panasonic 8000 dvd player plus all the Sony bits went off together. A premium price, but a premium product, provided you manage your expectations…

Each to their own. I like it a lot. Goes well with my 20 yr old Quadraspire acrylic reference and my Vertere DG-1. Similar notes of metal and acrylic (which has excellent resonance damping effects - so it serves a function).

14 Likes

Post modernist perhaps?

2 Likes

Your excellent choices are crystal clear sir :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Nothing ugly going on here :sunglasses:

26 Likes

I concur, apart from your rack level alignments perhaps? :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Super cool here too :sunglasses:

24 Likes

I like the acrylic racks…