What was the last bit of gear you bought?

My daughter put her Billie Eilish album on earlier. I was in and out finishing off work for the day and thought “that doesn’t sound as good as I expected”. I noticed she had put the lid down so I stopped the record, removed the lid and dropped the needle back into the groove. Bingo! That’s better. My daughter agreed. My wife thinks we’re bonkers. :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks Mark but I don’t want to take it off and put it on the floor, or lean it against the Farrow & Ball!

Another vote for isoACOUSTICS Orea…

And question: did anyone place the Orea at a flat spot on the Nova base rather than the feet of the Nova? They suction to the unit, so I considered that.

2 Likes

Yeah I get that. I’m just waiting for someone to kick it. Probably it will be me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Have you tried three feet instead of four positioned directly on the casing?

Well…the Bronze are 8 lbs each so that would be over the rated weight.

I never noticed that F&B was rhyming slang until now.

1 Like

All anyone can do is put it out there. And if someone picks up on it, then so much the better!

Hopefully not!

Some listening fluids for to ring in the new year :grin:

8 Likes

Hugely underrated, that whisky :tumbler_glass:

Decided to upgrade my Pioneer XDP-100r DAP and just got something small, but mighty: Fiio M11 Plus Limited:-

It uses dual AKM AK4497EQ DACs, which are no longer produced (I believe that a fire at the factory didn’t help matters). It also runs Android 10 and uses an Octa-Core Snapdragon 660 processor, so it’s pretty slick and fast. It also has a huge 6000mAh battery giving 11.5 hours’ playback. Add in Bluetooth 5.0 and WiFi 5G capability.

It also has a balanced 4.4mm headphone output as well as the usual 3.5mm, plus a line out which can be used as a SPDIF output.

Apparently only 6,000 have been produced worldwide, so it’s going to be a pretty rare beast. I think I managed to nab the last one available on Amazon UK. I decided on it after trawling through loads of reviews of Astell & Kerns and some other makes.

So far, I’ve only tried it with my Bowers & Wilkins P5s, but it sounds excellent with FLAC and especially with Qobuz Hi-Res files.

5 Likes

Enjoy! I have a near vintage X3 mk2 and it’s battered but still sounds amazing via 1more quad driver in ear or the on ear triple.

I like that it came with a screen protector already installed as well as a case (A & K charge a small fortune for their dedicated cases), which was also on it, although persuading it out of the case so I could put the micro sd card from the Pioneer in it was an exercise in ingenuity - a very tight fit!

Analogy of the effect: it’s like a glass of liquid with a cloudy silt stirred up before. With the Oreas added, it’s as if the silt settles and you can see through the glass more clearly. Same contents of the glass, just a tad rearranged

1 Like

Keep us posted once it has arrived.

Like system pics, this thread is potentially infinite. Perhaps a 2022 version would be appropriate.

1 Like

Good idea. First person to buy anything gets to start.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What was the last bit of gear you bought in 2022?