What was the last CD you bought

I just follow the leaders here.

5 Likes

Thank you. A Jimmy Rowles I had missed.
I Discoged… £5.00 delivered.
N

Although, of course, it was recorded by Rudy Van Gelder. I assume you meant an earlier example which wasn’t remastered by RVG. I just checked the CD which I ripped many years ago and notice that it too is one which hasn’t been remastered by RVG. Why would you specifically seek out a non-remastered disc? Have you compared the two?

There used to be thoughts that much of the remastering was made when RVG’s hearing had started to decline and that his original thoughts on how the session should sound were the better of the two.
Organisimo and Steve Hoffman forums should entertain you for the rest of the afternoon.
RVG /remastering /deafness will get you to the salient threads.:sleeping::sleeping::yawning_face::yawning_face::sleeping::sleeping:
Of course Ad po might have different reasons.
N

Yes I meant remastered by RVG since the original release. I have found that the remastering often introduces artefacts and dynamic compression in recordings. They are sometimes quieter because of the noise reduction used but I’d rather have a bit of hiss and keep all of the nuance that the originals have. I guess the best analogy is like recording on an old cassette deck with Dolby B or Dolby C, as opposed to just leaving noise reduction off. I am very wary of “remastering” when it sometimes means “rebranding” for a rerelease and the opportunity to raise some more revenue. I prefer the originals, warts n all, although that is difficult listening to CD, of course.

Ok, that’s fair enough. I have much the same concern over the dreadful remastering of rock classics by Steven Wilson, which I have described as feeling like he’s messing with my musical DNA. Regarding RVG, I do have many of his remasters, but only a few cases where I have both the original digital transfer and the RVG. In those cases I only ever ripped the newer version, so I’ve not made the comparison.

I’m not sure that the problem is with RVG remasters per say, but my more general experience with remastering is that the baby is thrown out with the bath water when they mess with the original mix. Hence I generally avoid remasters and try to find earlier pre-remastered versions when I can.

1 Like

91iPOvCwzPL._AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_ML2
From Amazon, the Supertramp box set was so cheap that i coudn’t excuse with it since at the moment in my collection had only a MFSL cd copy of B. In America

5 Likes

Odd it didn’t include Crisis What Crisis?

6 Likes

Charity shop haul for a fiver. Not bad.

4 Likes

Thanks for the Supertramp heads up. Also had these 3 cds on my wish list.

In Discogs I found a missing piece:

Prince - 2008 Indigo Nights

1 Like

I’ll Be Your Mirror, A Tribute to The Velvet Underground & Nico - Various Artists
Pre-ordered for release 24th September, 4 tracks available now on Qobuz. HiFi Choices album of the month

2 Likes

After being pretty much underwhelmed by both Pigs and a recent concert film by Waters, I thought I’d take a chance on this as only a tenner. Not my usual thing, this kind of bombast stuff, but we’ll see how it goes…

4 Likes

Yep, he’s rather bombastic, but there are some good tracks on that album - including the title track.

I’ve just realised the album (Floyd) is called Animals not Pigs…lol. Still didn’t like it.

1 Like

@steviebee,

What do you think about Alan’s Psychedelic Breakfast in Atom Heart Mother?

I think it is a masterpiece.

1 Like

@Rafael

I’ve always liked it, Rafael. Always liked AHM - we used to play it in our Sixth Form at school, along with Johnny Winter’s first CBS album. Both were big hits with us.

1 Like