What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Yes, very perceptive. Just had a quick listen to side 2 - which contains one of my favourite tracks - ‘Sheep’. I’m hearing sounds that I’ve not heard before, which is fascinating. There’s a lot more separation of the instruments (guitars and synths especially) and the vocals are more distinct.

Does it sound better? I think so, but I’m not sure. I really like it but it’s also very different and it feels like comparing apples and oranges with my older copy. Certainly ‘cleaner’ as you said. Going to spin this LP several times over the weekend. Certainly no regrets from the first listen - an intriguing remix.

2 Likes

My mono and stereo copies have just arrived.
Looking after the grandkids at present though, so I’ll have to wait.

3 Likes

mine is out for delivery but its currently 4.20pm and still no sign of it.

1 Like

UPDATE - just listened to my older (2016?) version of ‘Animals’ v the newly released ‘2018’ remix. I consider the latter to be far superior.

1 Like

I already have a superb Music Matters 33 Mono of Blue Train. So not sure at this stage if I really need this new complete masters set. I tend to find alternates, out takes etc interesting initially but then they dont get played much after.

I see its available to stream in HR so might check that first before following the hype.

Interested in the findings of others here in due course

1 Like

Just to add (sorry I know this is the vinyl thread) on the HiRes stream you can hear both Mono & Stereo versions plus the cutting room floor sweepings (sorry out takes etc :wink:)

For those new to the album, might be worth pointing out that the original 1st release was in Mono in 1957 I think the Stereo came a bit later. Prior to Blue Train if I’m correct all BN’s were Mono. From Blue Train onwards there was a transitional period where Rudy Van Gelder ran two tapes one for Mono one For Stereo on some sessions but continued to monitor in Mono for quite a while even when he went fully over to stereo. I’m no expert but many who are prefer Mono cuts for this reason.

My preference for what its worth (with the caveat that I’ve not heard the new TP Stereo) unless you really want the out takes and Ashley Kahn’s liner notes/booklet would be the cheaper single vinyl Mono edition especially if it matches or even surpasses the Music Matters 33 which coming from the same mastering facility, engineer and pressing it should do.

The initial purpose of two track recording was to allow the engineer more control in preparing the final mono mix, and was not intended for stereo.

“…Everything that was made in Hackensack was mono. Even towards the very end when we were recording two-track we weren’t listening in stereo. We were recording in two-track and we were listening in mono because there was only one speaker in Hackensack in the control room and only one speaker in the studio. So how could you listen in stereo when you only have one speaker? And all the judgments, (producer Alfred Lion)’s judgments, as to mix and balance, and mine too and the musicians too and how they sounded in relationship to each other, and all that during the creative part of those recordings was done in mono. It couldn’t be any other way. Towards the end we were running two-track sessions but no one had ever listened to them. So there was no particular attention or attempt at creating a stereo field at that time.” Van Gelder Interview (1999)

Wow just listened to both sides of Alternate takes on Blue Train the Complete Stereo Masters absolutely fascinating and again the sound is fantastic.

Hearing RVG’s voice at the beginning of the first take is a gem these are not just mistakes or bits and pieces thrown together to flesh out a double album these are fully fledged, full length alternates.

There are some real gems included in these alternate takes, variations on the tracks we all know and love the 19 year old Lee Morgan is something else and Philly Joe’s solo at the end of Moments Notice alternate four is a great touch.

For me listening to how these tracks formed through out the session is utterly fascinating
well done and thank you to those involved for bringing this all together.

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right, of course. John Revolting hit a rich seam of form for a few years with those films over that period.

1 Like

John Coltrane - Blue Train (Tone Poet Series - Mono pressing) Outstanding sounding re-issue!

Some comments I made on SQ-

4 Likes

Kevin Gray himself has said that he prefers the Tone Poet over the Music Matters so you are in good company he states that his mastering suite has much improved since he did the MM.

I have both the Mono and Stereo and can highly recommend the Stereo Masters.

4 Likes

Playing my Blue Train last night I was able to use the volume knob which is usually stuck around 9’ o’clock.

By the second side it was nearer 11’ o’clock, great pressing and as a relative newcomer to Jazz, I loved all the music.

Presentation is beautifully with the additional booklet, wish the Classic series could be more reliable on the pressing as these TP’s.

3 Likes

This just arrived with the postman this morning.
Original release year, record in mint condition, sleeve a little aged but then it is 50 years old😊

9 Likes

Great find. Mine is not nearly as tidy as that.

Got it on Discogs from a seller in Holland.
I bought the 50th Anniversary Edition a couple of weeks ago, but the quality was terrible and it had a massive divot in the final track of side one.
Sent that back and went looking for an original. Absolutely over the moon with it😊

1 Like

But have they filled in the crossword?:rofl:

I’m waiting for the same titles! They should arrive next week (I hope).

1 Like

Nope!:+1:t3::grin:

2 Likes

Be interesting if you can link to where he has said that and whether he was referring to the Mono, Stereo or both.
My understanding is that Cohearent Audio was upgraded at the point when MM introduced their 33 rpm series which the TP series is a continuation of.
Of course he is bound to say the new TP is his preference isnt he?

Did you get the Mono or Stereo Andy?

I took a punt on the Stereo to get the extras and book. Be interested to hear how the Mono compares.

Bought Cannonball Adderley “Something Else” at the same time but unfortunately the 1st track has 3 notable ticks that appear to be an infill issue so will be going back.

1 Like