What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

Am I weird? I always liked Hours

Perhaps Verve/UMG own the copyright to the music on the record rather than the label?

Pharoah Sanders - Moonchild, Timeless/Music On Vinyl (2021) PRE ORDER

Part of the Timeless Records 40th Anniversary.

Not Pharoah’s usual manic style but much more mellow.

1 Like

They do - it was licensed to New Land for this release.

1 Like

Thanks Kev nice release. Not heard of Dorothy Ashby though I’ll look her up.

Fantastic jazz harp and koto player.

Yes, I think you might be Steve…

1 Like

You’ve got the RCA international bilbo so all is good!
Trust me, that version is fantastic and all you’ll ever need (shame it wasn’t gatefold but it’s the music that matters).
The Low RCA International is equally as good.

1 Like

I don’t understand the knocking that Hours gets, yes it’s not the best he did but there’s some great stuff on there.
Earthling is superb.
You’ll enjoy this box set @TheKevster :+1:

2 Likes

Yamamoto, Tsuyoshi - Midnight Sugar, Three Blind Mice/Impex (2017)

2x45rpm disc special edition mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearnt, cut at Acoustech and pressed at RTI.

Really looking forward to getting this it’s been on my wish list for a good while now.

5 Likes

She played Harp on EW&F’s All N’ All, and Stevie Wonder’s Songs In The Key Of Life.

1 Like

I’d love to see high quality Dorothy Ashby reissues. Prices for the original LPs are nuts.

1 Like

Double album of electroacoustic minimalist organ pieces from this talented Canadian.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff I’ve googled her now I’ve been listening to Songs in the … since I was 14 years old and until last night had never heard of her.

1 Like

Ah, thanks re AS. I won’t be seeking the latest version as a priority, but if an offer comes up resistance may be futile!

Already have the International green label Low, just missing Heroes and Lodger. Am I correct in that there was never a green label version of Young Americans, just the 80s black label?

6 Likes

Nice one @TheKevster ! Ordered mine. Thanks for the tip

1 Like

Hi Yeti,
Aladdin Sane & Low are the best RCA Internationals, the others are ok (I’m sure there wasn’t a YA).
Good luck!
Ian

Do you find dust really stands out on white vinyl?

I’d left a white vinyl LP accidentally spinning for past few days and can see black specks all over it. One of those days where the sun is low and sunlight entering the house really shows up the dust!

Agree about “obsessing” yes, but imo it is important to do a bit of homework to source a good pressing/mastering. Just taking pot luck can result in ending up with an inferior/poor sounding record that can put you off further exploring what might otherwise be some very fine music (I’m not talking Bowie, any genre)
:heart:

2 x black vinyl LP. Never really listened to this through before.

For non-Nightwish folk try track 4: Slow, Love, Slow for a completely different sound.

Side A sounds excellent so far, may be the light but looking form record level the grooves look incredibly fine and smooth, not seen an album look so ‘silky’ in a long time.

Nice lined inners with this for a change. Lots of scuffs on the vinyl surface - seems to be common with Nuclear Blast pressings - my copy of Human. :II: Nature. was very badly scuffed but played ok, several parallel ‘roller marks’ each side of the central label.

Warning for anyone who gets Human. :II: Nature. on vinyl, one of the sides of the coloured pressings is a big logo - did not realise it was non-playable and groveless until the arm skated rapidly across the record :frowning:

2 Likes