What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

The first 4 Dire Straits - MFSL 45rpm. They sound good and the vinyl is good, but could be a little better pressed. Comparing to the 2009 Bernie Grundman pressings, it’s a bit of a mixed opinion for me. The MFSL are fuller & warmer, but lack the liveliness of the Grundman and don’t quite have the resolution. The only one that beats the Grundman easily is Love Over Gold. They all sound different to the Grundman and I’m not disappointed I bought them, but hoped they’d all be definitely better.

10 Likes

B.B.King, Live in Cook County Jail.
Very good sound on this LP considering the recording location (!)
Maybe a bit too much chatter taking up a lot of the meagre 38mins running time, but when he plays and sings it’s wonderful. He’s in very fine form.

4 Likes

Interesting Count. I found the latest Communique far superior to the US Bernie Grundman cut, which sounded flat and a bit opaque, like the tape was off or something like that. Annoying as I had paid a premium for the US pressings. Maybe the European one was better? With the first album and Love Over Gold I could be happy with either, but its been a while since I spun the US BGs. I passed on the MoFi Making Movies as it’s not a favourite of mine, Brothers in Arms neither.

FWIW, my MoFi pressings were pretty much perfect - properly centred, including the labels (some of my earlier MoFi 45rpms are way off here), and the vinyl immaculate and free of noise and tics.

I’ve a CD reissue of this but the sound is strident. I normally do not care for DG’s older catalogue reissue LPs but since this performance was recorded digitally decided to give it a shot. Hoping at least they put on a high res. file on the vinyl.

R-6766240-1478079922-9202.jpeg

2 Likes

Kuma, I adore Monteux and love this recording. Is this an original or a later reissue? I have the UK Decca RCA and also the Classic Records reissue.

Abstractions of Reality and Incredible Feathers - Binker Golding. After reading a recommendation on the jazz thread on here. I love it :grinning:

These arrived this morning :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Richard
I know I shouldn’t like Making Movies or Brothers In Arms. Trouble is, I just do. I don’t play them that often, honest.

New/reissue: Plantasia by Mort Garson
Used/vintage: an A&M compilation from 1967

1 Like

10 Likes

Richard,
Unfortunately it’s only a Classic Records reissue. This is one of my favourite Enigma and love Moneeux’s rendition of prancing Dorabella!
How does your Classic reissue sounds compared to your original? ( my guess is not as good )
I only have a later US reissue.

Its been a while since I played either, although IIRC, I thought the Classic (an early 180g) was pretty good. I’ll have to dig them out and let you know.

Big Country THE CROSSING (EXPANDED EDITION)

3 Likes

Thanks. An early 180G classic should be good.

That’s a fun one to play LOUD. I recall listening to that back then on a Sony fully automatic turntable! :grin:

The last time I heard it on vinyl was on a Ferguson hi-fi those were the days.

1 Like

One of my favorite album. Simply amazing.

8 Likes

TAEPOC

Bolero

The Many Faces of PF. It goes back because the interpretations are not really good.

3 Likes

3 Likes

For completeness :green_apple:

9 Likes