What Was The Last Vinyl You Bought?

It’s a very controversial picture for obvious reasons (naked 11 year old girl holding a rather phallic object in her hands), but also due how it came about. The cover was rejected for the US - my original US copy of the album comes with a white cover and a smaller inset B&W picture of the band members. In other markets the original cover was sometimes censored with a sticker covering the girl’s chest.

1 Like

Yes, my memory is that in the US the big chain stores refused to carry it with the original cover and that was why the alternative was devised.

Just wondering how you might feel had it been youre young daughter persuaded to pose for that image.

A couple of months or so back the FOMO Brigade were queuing to cough up just shy of 50 quid for this and the other initial titles in the Craft OJC Series. I just paid a more realistic 30.99 and 3.50 postage from Juno.

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane (Craft/OJC/Jazzland)

The classic meeting of John Coltrane and Thelonious Monk in 1957. An important document in the history of Jazz music, being the only recording during the period when the two artists were performing togethor at their legendary 1957 Five Spot New York Residency. Excellent sleeve notes from Orrin Keepnews.

:heart:

3 Likes

New all-analogue LP from Darrel and Caspar at Gearbox:

6 Likes

N.M.A in collaboration with the Sinfonia Leipzig.

Interesting - presumably another one from the Les Tomkins archive. Shame its only 3 sides on a 2LP set though.

Spotted that on my Gearbox Bandcamp mailing yesterday, hows the recording?

From my Gearbox mailing;

This never-heard- before recording of the legendary tenor sax “Little Giant" Johnny Griffin playing at Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club and backed by members of Ronnie’s House Band (Stan Tracey, Malcolm Cecil and Jackie Dougan) sees a AAA vinyl release. The album was mastered at Gearbox Records using an all-analogue signal chain and cut directly from the original tapes, which were recorded at the club by Les Tomkins in 1964. The sleeve features photography by the esteemed Val Wilmer and liner notes by Richard Williams.

1 Like

Not heard it yet, hoping to give it a spin tomorrow.

1 Like

Joao Selva - Passarinho… if you’ve ever heard a Brazilian track you liked you’ll probably like this too… :wink: With Guinu and Sessa there is some great stuff to be purchased these days

2 Likes

Black Sabbath’s Tyr and Headless Cross both in mint condition they look like they’ve never been played. Never thought I’d come across these two in a record shop at a reasonable price.

3 Likes

Wayne Shorter - Schizophrenia, BN/Tone Poet (2023)

Incredible record beautifully reissued by the Tone Poet gang.

5 Likes

Grant Green - Green Street, Blue Note (1995)

Blue Note Connoisseur Series produced by Capitol Records and remastered by Wally Traugott.

Another fantastic recording from Blue Note and excellently reproduced by Capitol Records in the 1990’s.

4 Likes

Art Pepper - Intensity, Contemporary Records (1995).

A 1989 remaster by Phil De Lancie at Fantasy Studios. It’s hard to mess up a Roy Du Nann recording and Phil De Lancie never did that.

1 Like

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series… :+1:t3:

8 Likes

Another Blue Note Classic Vinyl Series… :+1:t3:

7 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks Kev never heard of this before and really enjoyed it it’s on my list.

1 Like

It’s a very important record in the history of the development of South African music @Bobthebuilder

2 Likes