What, where and when was your first ever concert, and why was it memorable for you

I’m way too old to even remember it.:flushed:

Bowie StationToStation Wembley Empire Pool May 1976.

We were all 16 and big Bowie fans. Tons of Bowie look a likes milling around outside the venue Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Halloween Jack and plenty of Dukes.
The fever pitch excitement as the intro to StationToStation started. A couple of minutes later he appeared. Wow. It was loud!
Never seen anything like it since and I’ve been to hundreds of gigs.

3 Likes

This was mine - August 1977, have absolutely no recollection of Fairport though, not my thing at the time I guess! Not bad for 4 quid though!

download

1 Like

@Premmyboy and the crowd reaction to the Luis Brunel film?

Apparently Bowie or his management had a falling out with Earl Slick resulting in the unknown then and now guitarist Stacey Heydon playing lead guitar on the tour.

Wonderful show - my mate went to the first night and I went to the second. I remember comparing notes with him in detail in the days following.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder, haven’t played StationToStation for ages👍

1 Like

Roger Miller Wellington town hall 1974. I was one of 6 kids and 14 at the time. Dad had his greatest hits album that we played a lot at home, and took us kids. He played all the hits like “chug a lug” and “England swings”. Very entertaining although not the earth shattering experience of some of the other posters. Roger was a great entertainer and died too young. He even was a guest on the Muppet Show.

Hi Andy, yeah a lot of restlessness among the troops. I can certainly remember the reaction when the word “fin” appeared on the screen.
I also remember it was the first time I had encountered those fluorescent green light tubes.
Second gig was Floyd as mentioned by @Kevster. We were lucky I used to live in Kingsbury near Wembley. We got wind that extra restricted view tickets were being made available on the day for Floyd.
One of us bunked off school queued up and got some tickets.
Good avatar by the way I also like Annette Peacock and have a couple of signed CDs and a vinyl or 2.

Prem.

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

All things considered I think it’s my favourite Bowie album but it’s close!

Prem.

Yes very good re “fin” and the green light tubes - didn’t you have to break the tube to release what was probably then a radioactive green substance which glowed in the dark.

Ah yes indeed Annette Peacock so lucky to have seen her live on two ocassions when she lived in the UK around the early 80’s. Picked up on her when I found out that Mick Ronson played on X-Dreams and she was signed to Bowie’s Mainman management.

2 Likes

Yes, it still sounds great. It’d been a few years since I last played it. Cheers.

1 Like

UFO at Wolverhampton Civic Hall in 1978. I think it was one of the first shows without Micheal Schenker. We were moshing right down the front and my ears were ringing for days (I thought it was permanent damage at the time).

Strangely I didn’t get to another show until Yes in 1980 (Drama).

No not radioactive! Chemiluminescence, flexing the plastic outer to break a thin glass tube inside enabling two liquids to mix and react, causing the luminescence until the reactants were used up.

1 Like

Pink Floyd, Manchester Opera House, 1969. Memorable because the audience were truly SILENT while the band played marvelous music…

2 Likes

Cor! Lucky you @Thruster04 -I bet that was a good one! However there is no record of the Floyd playing that venue in '69. They did, however, play there in February 1970. Might it have been this gig you went to?

Pink Floyd Setlist Opera House, Manchester, England 1970
Edit this setlist | More Pink Floyd setlists
1 Like

Early 70s, some venue in Exeter; Jethro Tull ‘Thick as a Brick’ tour supported by Tir Na Nog. I only went as a couple of friends failed to persuade a couple of girls to go with them. My buying one of the 2 spare tickets cut their losses for the night.

1 Like

My “first” gig was probably Little Richard/Sam Cooke at the Kingston Upon Thames Granada theatre in 1961. SC closed the first half and LR the show. In between we had “The Breakaways” , Jet Harris and Sounds Incorporated.

It was special because LR was my hero1

Chris

2 Likes

Sam Cooke WOW!!! Now that is something special.

1 Like

Marvellous! I have 3 albums by Tir Na Nog - probably their only fan!

I am fairly certain that the first proper/big concert was Yes at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh on the 21st April 1975. It was the Relayer tour

1 Like

I can increase that number, I was introduced to Tir Na Nog by a school friend, saw them three times and owned the albums (I say owned, because somewhere they went walkies).

1 Like