What, where and when was your first ever concert, and why was it memorable for you

No Andy. I like them also. I saw them at King Arthur pub in Glastonbury last May. Had a good long chat with Leo.

Prem.

1 Like

Ooh scary. I reckon I saw them on what must have been the same tour but at the Orchid Ballroom in Purley (Croydon). I was 15 - my first concert. I was impressed but also disappointed - Ritchie’s guitar got lost in the mix and it was him I really liked. I’d got In Rock as an Xmas present from my Nan and Grandad. My Mum and Dad had given me a record player. I was asked to play my new record. It was banned forever about 20 seconds into Speed King! Good job I did not put my other gift on - Zep 2 - my mother would probably have passed out. A very good trio supported DP. They were great but I cannot remember who they were.

The trio support for Deep Purple is interesting. Quiver are listed as support at the Purley gig but they were a four piece including the great Tim Renwick and later Elvis Costello bassist Bruce Thomas. Harding-York were also a support in early 1971 but they were a duo which leaves the other support during that tour Ashton, Gardner & Dyke.

Another Wow about Sam Cooke…would have loved to have seen him, passed away far too soon.

1 Like

Looking back you must be right about 1970. It was not long after my birthday in January and I already had a copy of Ummagumma which was released in October 1969

1 Like

Madness at Manchester Apollo in March 1983 . I was 11 and an absolutely huge fan at the time , what a night that was !

It is with great shame that I declare i have never been to a concert of any kind. :flushed:

That is a great shame…if you can you should do a bucket list of favourite bands to try and see?

It is a great experience. But do know what don’t change a habit of a lifetime. You’ll probably get stuck behind someone who is 7ft tall or the person next to you is talking or the sound is terrible or the band just couldn’t care less.

Stay at home and put the album on instead. :grin:

My first gig was December 1986 at the Astoria Theatre; Pendragon were playing. I went with my best mate whom I had lent a tape of ‘The Jewel’ to a couple of months before and he didn’t stop enthusing about it. T’was a great night out, woke up the next day and my ears were still ringing, I think they were the following day too.

1 Like

Me too. I saw Tir Na Nog several times around 1970 at The Troubadour in Earls Court (which is still going) and I have Strong In The Sun and A Tear and A Smile.

1 Like

With all the Tir Na Nog fans here there must a number people on this forum thinking maybe I’m missing out on something what is this Tir Na Nog thing and how do I get one.

1 Like
1 Like

No it was not Quiver. This was a hard hitting rock band. Wild bass player and motionless (though very good) guitar player. - plus drums of course. As was common in those days - full of thanks for being able to use The main act’s PA and mixer crew. No idea if they were a stand in for the night.

My mate who is all things Purple seems to think it could be a band called Beggars Death but no info on them other than they were a support band around that time. A mystery then…

I will have to choose some of the up and coming bands that gig in small venues because I’ve never understood the point of gigs in big stadiums especially when you are located all the way to the other end from the band.

Or in my case all my favourite bands will be too old and well past their peak. So it could be a case of “never meet your heroes”. :smile::man_shrugging:

The bands that made the biggest impact on me were the ones from my 20s (in the 1990s). At the time I was into heavy metal so we’re talking about bands such as Helloween, Metallica, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Manowar and so on. Even if they are still going I’m not sure the sight of old men with long hair and clad in leather/lycra and spikes would be very appealing:smile::smile:

1 Like

Further to my original post I am having doubts about the date. I already noted that the timing of first discovering live music didn’t seem fit with just 2 weeks later being at a festival. Having seen the setlist.fm reference against someone else’s entry above I thought I’d look up the DP gig, and it doesn’t look right - no mention of Wring that neck, that they absolutely definitely played, with a clear memory of how it was introduced and standing out from my familiarity with their earlier material, though not played as they did at that gig(!). Also Strange kind of woman is listed which seems wrong. Less certain about some oc like other things listed, it being so long ago that it is hard to be certain. There is no Chalk Farm Roundhouse gig listed for them in 1970, which is when I thought it was. Absolutely definitely that venue, not Roundhouse Dagenham. The only other ones I can find there are late 1969, but they gave several other bands listed, which isn’t right, and that seems too early, trying to relate it to other things in my life. And it certainly no later than April 71.

My first real gig was ELO at Randwick Race Course, Sydney. Not sure if it was 73 or 74. At that time there were no real stadiums in Sydney, the band were set up on the main straight. I can remember the old wooden stands (long since gone) shaking at times it seemed that they’d collapse.

Great show (I think) if only I could remember more.

1 Like

I never knew they held gigs there ? What a great venue ! Used to pass Randwick racecourse everyday … Lovely spot !

1 Like