What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

The nDAC continues to impress us.

Been feeding it with Tidal hires since we got our SMSL USB-> SPDIF converter, and it just sounds fabulous at 24/96 or even better 24/192. Can’t wait for the firmware update to NDX2, as we know that is our best sounding digital source.

4 Likes

So which is best, NDX2/nDAC/555PS with Std Res or SMSL/nDAC/555PS with HiRes?

If it’s a good master the SMSL providing hires wins for now. 24/192 sounds fab where it is available. There are some hires recordings where I honestly can’t tell much difference though, so it’s not a universal thing. Could be format related, the SMSL does MQA as well.

We’ve tried same recording (not hires, 16/44) via both routes and NDX2 wins.

So we can’t wait for the NDX2 to support hires natively.

I would say that the SMSL is an improvement on the iPhone/iPad into nDAC via USB which I think only supports 24/48. Indeed, if one were strapped for cash, an iPad/SMSL/nDAC combo would be a very enjoyable digital source.

In the office we have a RPI from which the SMSL to SuperUniti sounds better than SPDIF from the RPI digital hat.

1 Like

It would be cool with a list of 24 bit 96 or higher recordingt where some or maybe most people will agree we can actually hear a difference compared to standard cd.
Claus

1 Like

Probably best to start a new thread for something likely to descend into subjective arguments.

2 Likes

Another happy owner of ND5 XS2 + nDAC, right here.
(With thoughts to add a PSU later, at some point).

Image : Naim ND5 XS2 → DC1 → nDAC → HiLine → SN3.

The nDAC takes the already capable ND5 XS2 to a slightly better sound quality level. Fuller notes, bit more detail, more control on bass, etc.

However, for me, the real magic happens when you add a PSU too.
ND5 XS2 + nDAC + PSU is quite something.

Hope this helps…

Good luck
R

8 Likes

Lots of positive feedback which supports what I have found searching the forum, the difficulty seems to be locating one for sale, all part of the system building process.
Thanks for the responses so far, it’s always interesting to hear people’s experiences with an item, cheers.

3 Likes

You know how, when you add or upgrade a piece of NAIM kit, put a favourite piece of music on and then sit back and say something like “Wow!” or “Blow me!” as you move deeper into the Matto Grosso of NAIM sound quality?

That. :wink:

10 Likes

Whilst there aren’t often loads to choose from, they come up on eBay often enough, 3 sold in July, 2 in June. I think you’re in the UK?

Recently just missed one from a dealer, got totally side tracked by a family issue and lost the opportunity :frowning:, I will keep looking but definitely seems to becoming harder to track one down.

Hi MikeD, your system is pretty much where I’m trying to get too, pretty happy at times with what I have but you know that “if I added a?” syndrome kicks in.

Yes I’m the uk, missed one locally last year, good price,late model and looked in first class condition but at the time I wasn’t really looking to add one to my system having only recently added the Nd5xs2, life goes on.

4 Likes

Spotted one recently with DNA Audio

Good luck
R

Thanks, tried them ,was all set to do the deal but got sidetracked by a family emergency and ended up missing it☹️, hopefully better luck next time.

Ah, okay. Sorry to read that.
I’ll keep a look out, just in case.

Good luck
R

Cheers, would appreciate that immensely :wink:

I see one for auction at 900 euros.

1 Like

I’m hoping that the new 333 will lead to one being traded into my local dealer. I’m guessing naim will have done their best to make the 333/300 outclass a lot of alternatives so it’s at least a possibility.

2 Likes

That’s an intriguing possibility

1 Like

I went through this process. The ND5 XS2 is quite good on its own, adding the nDAC was better. From there I added an XPS and eventually a 555PS (non-DR). Every step was an improvement, especially adding the 555. Cables used were DC1, Chord Music, and powerlines on all boxes.

However, I replaced all of that with a Lejonklou Kalla and couldn’t be happier. It lacks the ability to be used as an external DAC, but a great one box solution. Just my opinion (and this is all subjective), but the Kalla is the best digital I’ve heard. Cables were Linn silvers and stock $40 Lejonklou power cord.

3 Likes