What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

Forgot to add that she didn’t realise the cost is per monoblock :grimacing:

2 Likes

It’s a tricky one for every audiophile, if they don’t tell their other half how much things cost then if they unexpectedly die they might sell things off cheap not realising the true cost but if they do tell their other half they might unexpectedly die - What a conundrum :rofl:

I had a look at the price of the Full Statement last week, Wow…

3 Likes

Ah well I am never going to divulge “the deal” but the cost after px was attractive

1 Like

Only to very good friends you know you can trust :wink:

1 Like

No. Specifically asked not to by the dealer so no doubt I paid more than the next person :joy:

4 Likes

One more attempt to get this thread back on topic, as the used DC1 cable is now in the house.

First reaction connected cold out of the box: Blimey, what an incredible difference! Digital is now on par with the LP12, with even a tad more resolution. This will be fun as it settles down.

Longer version:
The ND5 XS2 on its own is a very nice machine. A lot more coherent than several of the budget streamers I listened to. All the Naim traits including the rhythmic drive are there, and it has a quality build. Its sound profile is somewhat on the bright side. It puts percussion right in front and vocals more in the back, and occasionally it’s a tad rough around the edges. Music feels “fast”. That’s with CD-quality input either streaming or ripped CDs on a usb stick. When using it for Spotify the streamer just boxes everything in from poster to postcard size, and then presents that nicely. A good first step.

The nDAC, ah well that is something else. The impression that stuck in my mind is “classical”. Sound now has a concert hall scale, you have to turn down the volume as there appears to be simply more sound. Individual instruments and voices are portrayed with a scary life-like quality, especially when playing a WAV-file from a usb stick. Pace of the music appears to slow down. When using it for Spotify via an iPhone there’s no impression of boxing in just a nice representation without any harshness. The sound profile is very dark, percussion is all the way in the background and vocals right in front. A good buy, quite a special machine.

From the descriptions above there could be an amazing synergy using the two together, in theory. As I was waiting for the DC1 cable I hooked them up using several digital cables I could loan or try. In that situation the synergy didn’t quite emerge.
Enter the DC1 and from the first notes it was clear Naim’s own digital cable is the magic ingredient. The theoretical larger sum of all parts is now there in spades. The Naim PRAT, slam, yet a lot of refinement as well, more resolution, sort of an analogue quality to it. Everything nicely balanced front to rear. Also the perceived volume and the speed of the music is in between those of the two separately. This is now simply a streamer that comes with two boxes and a cable as one package.

Knowing the NDX2 well this is way more satisfying. I always felt it needs the XPS to shine, just as to my ears the SN3 that it is often paired with needs the HiCap DR to become a “whole”. And then you’re on a very different (price) level outside of my budget.
So, with the caveat that in my opinion the DC1 cable is essential to pull it off, I can now vouch for this combo. And that’s just the first impression, will report back after a while.

20 Likes

What other cables have you tried that didn’t work for you? I’ve had a couple of DC1s and sold them both as I found cheap cables that performed just as well but which I could order in a suitable length rather than the standard 1.25 metre that is all Naim offer.

1 Like

Nice write up! I’m using mine without a PS at the moment and everything sounds lovely.
I use a Mark Grant cable, very nice quality and you can ask for any length, a DC1 isn’t long enough for my setup.

3 Likes

A 2-meter BNC cable that came free with a satellite dish, a one-meter Mogami 2964 cable off Amazon and a one-meter Chord Clearway on loan.

I had 3,5 weeks so plenty of time to ask for them (and will all be returned) and just let them be in the system hoping to be amazed, which I now finally am.

1 Like

Great writeup! I’m happy you are happy!

1 Like

Thanks for getting us back on track, very informative post, looks like money well spent.

3 Likes

Hi @daddycool

Just had a long flight and now 8 hours ahead in Hong Kong. What a pleasure to wake Sunday morning and find your report, which I’ve read over several times and studied with a cup of tea.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and delighted for you. Can’t wait to read your thoughts again when you’ve lived with your nDAC and new system, for maybe a few months.

As you suggest, the nDAC is such a great machine. And versatile too. We use ours for so many things. It started out as a simple upgrade for our CD5 XS cd player. Along the way, have used it to test and try so many streamers. It gets moved around our house, between rooms, to use with other disc players, occasionally movies, also with TV’s.

For example, each year when the BBC do their coverage of Glastonbury festival, we set things up to watch this and listen with the nDAC doing honours with the PCM stereo audio feed.

Also, use it with iPhone and iPads, for streaming various bits of content. Via the front USB port.

Most significantly, it lifts the capable ND5 XS2 to something a little more special. For the money, one of the best upgrades out there…

Good luck with getting to know yours

KR
R

4 Likes

Thank you @ratrat, also for pointing me there in the first place. Have a good trip!

2 Likes

Sure. And others too.
I’m not the only advocate for the humble nDAC, so many others on the forum highlight its worth, such as @IainO and @marcusman @JimDog and one or two others.

Now that you have one, might notice how many (check user profiles) quietly use and enjoy this lovely box of tricks. If you look back, several have posted above. In fact, thinking about how nDAC’s are used, it’s fascinating to see the breadth of Naim systems in which an nDAC is employed.

Good luck

7 Likes

Your very articulate summary mirrors my own experience with the same ND5 XS2 into the nDac. @JimDog’s words on the subject initially spurred me on to acquire a nDac and I somehow managed to pay top dollar for a pre loved 2018 nDac; no regrets at all. I don’t have the same reference point in the NDX2 as you do but the whole idea of squeezing more out of less is a real draw for me…(he says as his box count rises). I will be looking at power supplies for the nDac, probably after a speaker upgrade, no rush on either front tho’ as I’m really enjoying what I have. My cable is a Mark Grant but now have a DC-1 on the way. Curiosity and all that… :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks again to you and this supportive group.

6 Likes

No bad thing your “top dollar” nDAC is 2018, as that’s their last year in production.
So, likely one of the last nDAC’s made.

Congrats.

Coincidentally, running same system as yours.
With intentions to add speakers and eventually a PSU for the nDAC.
Which speakers are you considering ?

4 Likes

Hi Ratrat, Ha ha! Got into a bidding war with another likeminded individual…but yes a good move. I bought my Neat Ministras (more out of less…) for a smaller room. I must confess they came alive when I moved from XS3 to SN3. They’re an easy listen and so my first thought was move up a notch to the bigger Majistra. If I could justify it I would be aiming for the Kudos 505 but honestly I’m not sure it would be money well spent - at least for me. Foorstanders would require a major persuasive assault on my other half so I’d be sticking with stand mounts.
My set up is in the sitting room and its stone floor and walls softened by the usual furnishings 7x7m. My music is very eclectic but ultimately biased towards rock, guitar and vocals and some electronic…
What are you thinking on the speaker front?

4 Likes

Be very interested to get your thoughts on the DC-1 when it arrives, enjoying a similar setup, bought the same cable just to get up and running, enjoy your new addition.

3 Likes

Yes, same here. Won’t be until January though as my set up is in France and I’m in UK… :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Gosh maybe we should start a ND5XS2 to dc1/Ndac fan club! lol.
@JohnnyReggie you should checkout Proac speakers as well. (biased opinion of course)

8 Likes