What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

Thanks for chipping in. Good detail :+1:
All good to know and share for others

1 Like

Thanks very much for all answers belonging to the service question of the nDac. Ich have sent an email to Naim support and will report back, what they are recommending. Nice Sunday everyone

3 Likes

Having thought about your question, think there are maybe two ways to go…
Both ideas involve beefing up the external DAC used with the Statement.

Sticking with the Statement
First, I would stick with the Statement. If it’s anything like the Zenith, (which I have heard), maybe better, then it’s a fine machine.

(1) Use the best USB DAC you can find or afford.

Thinking about Chord, the M-Scaler + DAVE is currently the best of their bunch.
Even the more modest HugoTT2 is a fine option.

(2) Upgrade Naim nDAC

Although nDAC isn’t a USB DAC, work arounds can be employed, to convert from USB to SPDIF, (such as the one you use).

It also has the advantage of partnering with an external psu, to improve SQ further. ( Naim XPS or higher 555PS or DR variants of both ).

Consider adding a psu to the nDAC, for a nice uplift

———————

Also chatted today with a good friend who has Innous Zenith mk3 and has some experience, experimenting in the same space as your interest. Also, the new Innous streamer products. We discussed alternatives to the various Naim Streamers. So, thinking if you decide instead to stream from the Statement - across your network - to a stand alone streamer.

Innous streamers + Chord USB DAC’s,
Maybe consider the following alternative options:

PULSE & HugoTT2 against NDX2 or NSS 333

PULSAR & DAVE vs. above Naim options with XPS or NPX

ND555 probably sits out on its own.

You could also add M-Scaler to any of the Innuos + Chord options too

ND5 XS2 is a stalwart
Circling back to ND5 XS2 → DC1 → nDAC.
This presents as a capable streaming solution. But also as remarkably good value. When you consider the streamer might be found pre loved for c.£1,800 and an nDAC for around £1,000. Allowing a little more for a DC1 cable, all can be had for GBP £3k. or less.

It’s the VFM that makes this combo’ so intriguing.
(Considered to be same or similar to NDX2. Adding a psu to the nDAC takes it higher).

If you already have one of the two, adding the second item seems a no brainer.

6 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed replies, very much appreciated.

I have a 555 PS on the nDac and it all sounds very nice, just chasing non existent rainbows I suppose and wondering if there is any improvements that could be made or whether I’m already at the summit.

I could add a Master Clock to the Mutec MC3+ USB, but I had a demo the other week of a high end CD player, pre, amp combo playing with and without a Master Clock and I couldn’t really hear that much difference, especially for the price.

2 Likes

Okay
Sorry, missed that you already had 555 PSU. Didn’t see that in your profile.

Sure. Seems you’re already max’ed out within the Naim ecosystem.
Innous Statement → (usb to SPDIF ) → nDAC + 555PS seems like a summit.

Another idea is trying the Innous Phoenix USB. For reclocking. But guessing the Mutec performs the same or similar function?

The only other implementation of DAC chip sets, that beats nDAC - within Naim ecosystem - is with the ND555. Which can also be improved upwards with 555PS x2

Otherwise, other option is to step outside of Naim ecosystem and try other propositions. Like Chord M-Scaler + Dave.

Lovely to chat, these past 24hours. All food for thought.
It’s past bedtime and we’re on the forum late again

Good luck.
R

3 Likes

I believe the Statement already has Phoenix USB level re clocking included so no need to have Phoenix USB when using a Statement.

1 Like

Not sure why Darran can’t service an ndac? As others have said main items will be the caps in the power supply. That might be it.

1 Like

Great. Thanks for explaining. Learned something.

I see you also reference conversations about the Phoenix NET, which you have listed in your profile.

So, what, if anything, might you consider doing next ?

The email I received from Darren stated “ sorry the ndac will have to go back to Naim there are a few upgrades they do as part of a service” no idea what those upgrades would be but that was his response to my enquiry.

3 Likes

Um. Upgrades aren’t strictly servicing. More of a modification to the design. Perhaps just software. And i would be intrested to know what changes these upgrades bring? @NeilS any ideas?

3 Likes

Word for word the same reply I had from him last year :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You don’t have to send back to change the software - you can upgrade that yourself via the USB port. Most likely there are some hardware upgrades, even if routing of wiring, when servicing - which is not that uncommon with Naim

1 Like

Now that you mention it, even without an extra PSU on the nDAC, that just flowing of the music is a characteristic that has caught my ear several times already (on ND5 XS2 / DC1 / nDAC combo).

3 Likes

So nothing complex? And yes even i managed to put the final furmware release on my ndac. More curios as to why any modifications could not be handled by Darran. He has had all my service work except my 250 Olive- whichni wish id sent to him. And as an authorised service center such as Class A, they would have full access to the IP.

I have a rev 5 ndac. There is no way a Rev 2 dac could be modified to a Rev 5.

If I had a piece of hifi equipment I was happy with, there is no way I’d be letting a manufacturer modify it without explaining if and how the sound would change.
If the upgrade involved replacing components that have been found not to be reliable, that’s a different matter.

Surely the customer should have the option to choose a service without the upgrade.

1 Like

Agree. A service just replaces degraded componants. Any modifications id hope are to enhance its electrical? safety. Naim of course will tell you it also enhances the sound. But it may not be your sound.
Btw, how do you tell the version of an ndac?

1 Like

Yes and no, services may include implementing advisories of improvements to the layout and build as well as replacing components with a specific and limited performance life span and resetting biases which have drifted through aging components generally. This is not uncommon with high end products, such as hifi, cars, electronic instruments, cameras for example. But yes I am sure if you don’t wish these you can stipulate this when being serviced, as long as it’s not safety related.
As far so called ‘SQ’… I think one has to careful and understand to expect that a hifi product prior to service will have been changing its ‘SQ’ performance over many years … when it is serviced it will almost certainly sound different to you, you should expect some time to get comfortable with it again… though I suspect for the most part you will appreciate the improved clarity and performance from the get go.

1 Like

Simple question, how do you check what level of software you have running in the ndac just out of curiosity really.

I purchased mine from Signals and I did ask if they could make sure it had the latest software before shipping.

If you send hifi equipment for a service, you’d do so because there was a drop off in performance. You’d expect it to sound, as it sounded when it was purchased new.
Naim’s mantra regarding servicing has always been. It will sound the same just as it did when it left the factory, new. Upgrading components where a no no.

You’ll have to take the top off.

The obvious difference in Rev 5 compaired to Rev 2, is the SPDIF input PCB is part of the main board. Rev 2 has a ribbon cable connecting the PCB’s.
The circuitary around the SPDIF inputs on Rev 5 has more components.

5 Likes