What will adding a Ndac to an ND5XS2 bring

I think the Pulse Mini has an internal Dac.

Tried Pulse.
And the result was interesting …

Mentioned this experience briefly in a recent report….
The section “Nice distractions” might interest you.

As a result, I’m thinking about that.
There may yet be room for a Pulse in our future path. Maybe :thinking:

One idea is to send our ND5 XS2 sideways and use it with a spare NAIT XS2 + HC2, to start a system for a third room. Then, insert a Pulse into our main system, with nDAC, etc. It’s just an idea at this stage. But this loose idea is maybe further down the list of immediate priorities. There are one of two other things we wish to add to main system first.

Background - Been interested in this product for a while. Since the Pulse mini - Pulse - Pulsar line was announced Berlin 2022. It’s taken Innous a while to get these out into dealers. The neat thing about the Innous Pulse - stand alone streaming transport - is that it has SPDIF digital out, which allows it to be connected directly via DC1 into our nDAC. The higher end Innous items (in fact, most recent DAC’s ) require USB. Which requires an extra thing (to convert) and is maybe not so elegant. It a reason why I didn’t demo’ the higher Pulsar. Which I now assume is better still.

For the Pulsar, would go a different route and add a decent DAC from the Chord line. Maybe Hugo TT, connecting via USB.

If you are interesting to learn anymore about Pulse or Pulsar, you might like to chat with Ryder35, who has recent experience of owning both, used with nDAC and Hugo TT. Maybe pop over to my thread / blog and ask him there…

The other thing to note (we already have Innous ZENmini server / streamer, which is a mini marvel ) is access to the well thought through and easy Innous Sense UI. Maybe better, more intuitive UI, than Naim App. FWIW, Roon is best.

Anyway, over the summer, got a great deal on a ND5 XS2, so went that route. No regrets at all. We are delighted with it. Also, the perfect aesthetic fit - form factor - with our other Naim pieces. We love it.

Image : Perfect partners : ND5XS2 - nDAC - SN3

In summary…
Innous are doing some interesting things, worth watching.
My observation is the Pulse is a viable option to consider, if you already have an nDAC (or similarly decent DAC) and are thinking about streamers. Innous Sense UI, by itself, is also worth considering. Plus, maybe don’t mind mixing differently brands and size of boxes, etc.

Hope that helps.
R

7 Likes

Yes. Pulse mini has an internal DAC. So, like the ZENmini can be used as a stand alone audio source, analogue out, into a Naim pre-amp. / controller, etc.

It also has digital out and can be used as transport too.

From experiences with ZENmini would say it’s okay. For the price point it works fine. Adequate internal DAC. But obviously works much better with a decent stand alone external DAC, like nDAC. So, suspect Pulse mini might be same or similar situation.

2 Likes

With respect your Naim dealer is talking tosh. This will be a bit controversial, as I know a number of users do this, but using it just to serve files via a network is missing the best part of the products. I use a zen mini with lps as a Roon core and can tell no difference with that via Ethernet to using my Mac book pro in the same way.

I have used the zen mini, pulsar and pulse connected to ndac and there is a noticeable improvement each step up. If I was going to keep the ndac going forward I think the pulse is the sweet spot because it has bnc.

4 Likes

@Ryder35 Thanks for joining in…
Your thoughts mirror my instinct too. Great that you can confirm from experience :+1:

Other comments are also interesting for my own journey. Thanks again. The Pulse is increasingly playing on my mind…

Happy Sunday listening today
R

1 Like

What Dac do you use? I have only tried the pulsar on the ndac via a topping d10 and it needs power from the usb to operate. It does not work with the phoenix light output on the pulsar so I am using the standard usb outputs. Used like that there was not much difference between that and pulse. Using the proper output to tt2 or any other usb Dac there is a big difference between the 2

1 Like

Using nDAC

Sure.
I’d already figured out the Pulsar really leads to a different solution, via USB, to maybe a Hugo TT being a better approach.

edit : from chatting with you, and some other anecdotal experiences… Thanks again. It’s great we share these findings, for others to consider.

1 Like

I don’t know if that image is just for show, but if you actually want to operate the components stacking them like that will compromise their audio performance… the components should have space around them and be mounted on an isolating stand of some sort. NDAC responds well to a shelf of full fat Fraim… but there other stands to use of course. The product manuals describe this in more detail.

3 Likes

Just for show :+1:
Makes for a nice photo

If anything, it just shows the aesthetic match between the three pieces shown.

3 Likes

:grinning:. Indeed, phew … but you never know … it’s always worth checking…

5 Likes

Just chatting…

This year has been an interesting one for new boxes.
Mostly intended for another room, which is still a bit of a mess, from moving home.

In- the-meantime, we’ve been experimenting with boxes, in this room, to try different things, for fun, etc. Maybe, a bit like @Yorkshireman, but not quite on the same extensive level as his fab’ music room. LOL :joy:

When the other room is properly finished, promise to show systems, (maybe both systems), in more conducive standings, with space, isolation, usuals, etc. It’s all a work in progress, for now. Having fun along the way.

Happy listening today
R

2 Likes

Very interesting thread. As mentioned above by @ratrat (Click here) the most second hand offered nDacs are produced around 2010. Are they still stable or do nDac‘s need some service by Naim like older amplifiers after longer use?

1 Like

I would say maybe the one piece of Naim equipment that rules on service period are less exacting. ???

Several users - over years - have reported their service being more piece of mind, than any apparent gain in SQ.

Ours is now 12+ years. No immediate plans to send away.

Hope that helps.

Anyone else with nDAC care to comment?
@IainO - didn’t you service yours at some point?

2 Likes

When I was researching them the general consensus, including from Naim was that they do not need servicing

5 Likes

When I did my research before buying mine the general advice seemed to be it will be fine.
Sorry trying to multitask, I spoke to the service guy in Sheffield and he said he didn’t service the ndacs it would have to go back directly to Naim but in his experience if it wasn’t broken then no need to worry, hope this helps👍

3 Likes

We did service ours because it is a 2011 model and we had no history.

Didn’t fancy connecting up to a brand new 252 and watching it all go pop.

Dealer and naim said there was really no need but we did it for peace of mind. naim confirmed device was perfect and simply changed out a few caps. I think the current guidance is leave it be unless it fails….

Band 7 service cost almost as much as the device did as well :astonished:

4 Likes

The reservoir capacitors in the centre of the picture will need replacing after a while. The Naim DAC launched in 2009, so if you have an early one these capacitors will be due for replacement for optimum performance shortly. The signal path and analogue filter capacitors are likely still fine, but Naim would know more about that

6 Likes

Thanks for chipping in. Good detail :+1:
All good to know and share for others

1 Like

Thanks very much for all answers belonging to the service question of the nDac. Ich have sent an email to Naim support and will report back, what they are recommending. Nice Sunday everyone

3 Likes

Having thought about your question, think there are maybe two ways to go…
Both ideas involve beefing up the external DAC used with the Statement.

Sticking with the Statement
First, I would stick with the Statement. If it’s anything like the Zenith, (which I have heard), maybe better, then it’s a fine machine.

(1) Use the best USB DAC you can find or afford.

Thinking about Chord, the M-Scaler + DAVE is currently the best of their bunch.
Even the more modest HugoTT2 is a fine option.

(2) Upgrade Naim nDAC

Although nDAC isn’t a USB DAC, work arounds can be employed, to convert from USB to SPDIF, (such as the one you use).

It also has the advantage of partnering with an external psu, to improve SQ further. ( Naim XPS or higher 555PS or DR variants of both ).

Consider adding a psu to the nDAC, for a nice uplift

———————

Also chatted today with a good friend who has Innous Zenith mk3 and has some experience, experimenting in the same space as your interest. Also, the new Innous streamer products. We discussed alternatives to the various Naim Streamers. So, thinking if you decide instead to stream from the Statement - across your network - to a stand alone streamer.

Innous streamers + Chord USB DAC’s,
Maybe consider the following alternative options:

PULSE & HugoTT2 against NDX2 or NSS 333

PULSAR & DAVE vs. above Naim options with XPS or NPX

ND555 probably sits out on its own.

You could also add M-Scaler to any of the Innuos + Chord options too

ND5 XS2 is a stalwart
Circling back to ND5 XS2 → DC1 → nDAC.
This presents as a capable streaming solution. But also as remarkably good value. When you consider the streamer might be found pre loved for c.£1,800 and an nDAC for around £1,000. Allowing a little more for a DC1 cable, all can be had for GBP £3k. or less.

It’s the VFM that makes this combo’ so intriguing.
(Considered to be same or similar to NDX2. Adding a psu to the nDAC takes it higher).

If you already have one of the two, adding the second item seems a no brainer.

6 Likes