What's the best-sounding system you've ever heard?

Yea Apogee Scintillas. I still have mine. Powered by a vintage Krell KSA-80B. Probably never going to change that. Did a big reset with Source last year, so same there. Just enjoying the music, and dabbling in HT to augment the 2 channel, via very cheap eBay sales of some very top equipment. Still connecting. Use it mostly for listening/looking at Concerts. I may rebuild/recap my Apogees this year. Just recovering from heart surgery.

4 Likes

Halfway up Tottenham Court Rd in the mid-90s there was a shop that sold mostly Naim/ Linn gear, canā€™t remember the name. I went there for some NAC A5 for my Linn Axis/ Naim Nait 2/ Linn Kan system. They had a Naim CD player (probably the CDS?) with 52/ 135 amps and some large speakers. I persuaded them to hook up the Linn Tukans they had hidden away in the back of the shop, since they were the closest they had to my Kans. The sound floored us with its amazing depth and transparency. Still one of the most impressive sounds Iā€™ve ever heard from anything before or since.

2 Likes

Thanks, order placed. :grinning:

Meridian 7.1 system at Bristol
Statement system at Bristol
(although the following year, when it was not properly warmed up, it sounded horrid)

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the absorbers(?)are either side of the vicoustic wave panels ?

Thanks
Alan

possibly Son et Lumiere? I spent a lot of hours there listeningā€¦

Hi Alan. I have seen a few but never these- look cool actually. Would it be worth asking HQ? ATB Peter

1 Like

Iā€™ll give it a go. :grinning:

For those who knew Sound Organisation in its Southwark home, this is what the large dem room was like in April 2019. Being transformed to its new role - a restaurant!

![20190401_135133|375x500]

6 Likes

Was that the DSP5500 system, when they were running a movie with a Saturn 5 launch? ā€œApollo 13ā€, perhaps?

These are VicTotem Ultra VMT from Vicoustic.

Vicoustic produce very nice, and efficient, acoustic treatment for listening rooms and professionals.

I use some of their diffusers and absorbers:
ā€“> System Pics 2020

3 Likes

See, I knew Thomas would know! :+1:t3::wink: ATB Peter

1 Like

Yes, that was it. I only went there a couple of times, but they were very helpful and did have a lovely system. Iā€™m still using the same NAC A5 to this day.

Doesnā€™t look the same without the old Chesterfield and rows of Sound Org record racks does it?

1 Like

Sadly no. But in my imaginationā€¦

I was so pleased the builders let me in - to see the old place again was very touching. All those happy hours in hifi wonderland!

2 Likes

@Thomas
What do you think of the Vicoustic Totem as corner bass traps? Would fit nicely in my room.
Sorry for detour.

Thereā€™s a great thread on rooms here:

And happy hour at the Thameside Inn :woozy_face:

4 Likes

Thatā€™s where I bought my LP12/Ittock/Karma in 1983, plus snaps for my 42.5.

Hamish delivered and installed it to my parents nr Windsor!

M

1 Like

Wow, thatā€™s fantastic to see. Many happy hours spent in there, sometimes seriously auditioning kit (quite a bit of which is still in my system), sometimes just listening to music and chatting when they were quiet and Iā€™d been passing.

2 Likes