System Pics 2020

Lovely room and setting. Still play vinyl?

How have you mounted the LPs on the wall?

This is not an uncommon result for those adding subs. I got an increase in SQ when I added the Vandersteen Model 3 subs. Subs have to be done right, but when they are, they are magical.

Do try other than corner placements…

Great pictures James,

Did you go for the Brooklyn DAC over the Chord option because you preferred it or because it was better value or both?

Keith

1 Like

Some additions to the listening room:

• New listening chair

• Foam absorbers behind the speakers have been replaced by four GIK Monster Bass Traps (with membrane tech) for maximum lower frequencies absorption, while absorbing less mids and highs. The bass traps are inserted in a glossy white frame that matches the diffusers between the speakers.

• Have been testing placing two additional GIK Monster Bass Traps against the back windows with great results (for a total of 6 big GIK Monster Bass Traps against the windows). Those two bass traps were originally place on the right side. There is still a 180 cm x 60 cm on the right side not shown on the pictures.

• On the left side, inserted in the book shelves, a series of really thick GIK Monster Bass Traps (from 19,5 cm to 28 cm thick) for maximum low frequencies absorption.

• The curtains are highly absorbing veils (a swiss product, that provides an unexpected level of absorption while letting the day light in).

57 Likes

Just the covers on the wall. The vinyl is still on a shelf and I don’t have anything to play it on. It seemed a shame to waste the artwork.

Same happened to me when I added a Rel T7i

I will and thanks for the suggestion. I have been following the REL YouTube setup videos so far.

Thanks. Did you end up with corner placement as per REL advice?

It’s in the corner but behind the listening position.

Thomas- Great idea framing out the front wall bass traps in the white framing- looks really tidy :grinning: I realize that you have a lot of glass in that room…but is all of that absorption sucking some of the “life” out your music? Just seems like a lot of bass traps?
Otherwise, looks great! You have done a great job with the color pallet and integrating the acoustic panels.

Thanks Keith - In the end i preferred the Brooklyn. It was just (for me) more fun and engaging to listen to. Some further thoughts here from last years auditions if you’re interested -

A Headphone Amplifier thread

Thanks! :smiley: GIK Acoustic bass traps are great products. But let’s face it, even with the “fabric upgrade” those bass traps aren’t perfect in terms of design. That’s how came the idea of inserting them in a glossy frame.

Glass is not so different from dry walls in terms of reflecting pressure/acoustic waves. But it’s a problem to cover/treat.

Well, that’s sort of a misunderstanding of what actually happens.

No, you simply can’t suck life out of music.

But yes, you can get an uneven frequency response by over absorbing mids and highs (especially the highs).

The first thing that furniture like carpets, curtains and foam absorbing panels do is absorbing high-mids and highs. You end up having too much uncontrolled bass covering a thin amount of mids and highs.

That is what we usually feel/hear when saying “sucking life out of music”. Really unpleasant… I went through that…

As for bass traps, there is no such thing as to much bass traps :wink: Absorbing as much low end as possible is the ultimate goal (below 150 Hz). But this is almost impossible (well, there are solutions, but highly difficult to calibrate).

Thanks, it is a ~2 years journey.

The latest changes reduced even more room interactions. The result was quite nice: I can hear even more clearly the room ambience in which the recording took place.

Treatment, speakers and electronics make a pleasant and pretty revealing system :relaxed:

What’s your naim ?

16 Likes

That looks like a Statement shipping enclosure!
Congratulations! :smiley:

1 Like

I love the room; maybe love the S3 Mk2’s more ha ha. They are beauties. I’m ok ‘slumming it’ with my A3’s!

Indeed! :sweat_smile: And as you can see I followed your advice : I did not go for the S1 MkII. Symphonic music became such an enjoyment !

Well, these are too heavy to swap with yours! But I could make the effort for a pair of M2s :grin:

Wow… it should work very well with your new remote!

Claude

1 Like

Funny I’m just now reading the TAS review of the S1Mk2’s; I am POSITIVE you made the right choice. I’d love to hear S3Mk2 in my home but they are super heavy; not easy to demo even though there is a pair in a store 4 miles away.