What's the next bit of gear you're planning to buy in 2024?

Finally got some storage for my small vinyl collection

8 Likes

Plan turned into decision and am currently awating delivery of a Rega Saturn Mk. 3 (my main source is vinyl but needed a CDP to play some of the many hundred CDs currently hibernating in my cellar).

3 Likes

Have taken the plunge and arranged to have a Karousel bearing kit fitted this weekend. Main reason, I let a previous LP12 drift away from spec whilst the kids were growing up & I promised myself I’d not let that happen again. Given entry level LP12s now come with Karousel it’s been playing on my mind. Took the plunge as Linn prices go up later this month and the bearing kit’s already risen £200 whilst I’ve been dithering. I’m hoping it’s the improvement the fans say it is. I’m a tad sceptical tbh but hey, you’re only young once. I try to avoid upgrading but the Karousel is really maintence in my mind. We shall see. And I hate moving the LP12 anywhere let alone out of the house.

4 Likes

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts and impressions on the Karousel bearing upgrade.

A lot of people get the Karousel bearing upgrade done along with other upgrades so they never know what it’s doing so it will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

2 Likes

I’ll certainly let you know. As luck would have it I’m full of a head cold so I I’m struggling with blocked everything above the neck just now. Hopefully cleared by Saturday. Beyond that I’m not great with small/nuanced improvements.

1 Like

I previously did the Karousel upgrade on its own (on an Akurate level LP12). While not “night and day” or “it made the older version sound broken” etc. etc. it was a very worthwhile and obvious improvement, which lowered the noise floor and allowed more detail to be heard whilst not taking away any of the good stuff that an LP12 does. Very good VFM (in the crazy world of high end hi-fi) in my book.

4 Likes

I’ll settle for that. The hyperbole around hifi is something to behold. Your summary there is very similar to what my dealer says I can expect. Unless Linn bring out a ceramic bearing or some such I confidently expect it to be the last bearing I ever buy.

1 Like

Looking to add a DAC V1 (if I can find one) for headphones it would also be nice to have a different DAC to feed my CD transport. Stupid thing is I had one 6 or years ago and sold when I got my 272. The mighty V1 has a great sound and decent headphone amp.

4 Likes

You mean one of these mate…?!

Mint in un-opened box, one of the last two purchased in Oz I believe…Never got round to using this one (have another that I use in a US–DAC-V1–NAP100 system back in the UK) and I fairly recently got the Atom HE here, so I guess it’s surplus (well, Mrs SC says so!), but it does keep looking at me – they’re nice!

SC

7 Likes

I have just bought a CDX-2 with XPS-DR - to replace a CDS2/XPS whose transport mechanism had failed, despite Naim’s strenuous efforts to resuscitate it.

The CDS2 was one of the very first of that model number, bought from Grahams in Islington in around 1990, so it had served me very well.
(Photo repeated from ‘Show Us Your Disc Player’ thread.)

10 Likes

I’m on my way to your place now. Should be there by Wednesday. :grin:

2 Likes

:laughing: :+1:

1 Like

CDS2 was 1998-2002. Such a short production run. It’s no wonder they’re like hens teeth now.

How does the new CDP compare to your deceased CDS2?

Graeme, it’s still “warming up”. I intend to connect it into my system this afternoon.

1 Like

I’m pleased with my Exposure headphone amp.

Update
I had a very enjoyable and enlightening time at Audio T Bristol (thanks to James), listening to the NPX300 / NC250 / NAP350’s in combination with a NAC332. I found the step changes were very clear to my ears, and plans have been made for a home demo to confirm my choices in the very near future.

10 Likes

New EE-8 back in the house today. A couple of Catsnakes on the way to complement the one I’ve been delighted with from EE-8 to ND555.

G

6 Likes

Managed to secure a late model DAC V1, apparently owned by a little old lady who only used it on Sundays. Still in its box and on its way to its new home. :grin:

9 Likes

Bet she whacked the wick up to max and played Zep and Sabbath though :joy:

8 Likes

I just sold my Clearaudio Universal 9" tonearm and ordered the 12" version. Now I’ll have the same arm each for my stereo and mono cartridges.

I also ordered the Clearaudio Innovation clamp to try. I want to see how it sounds compared to my current third party clamp.

Both should be here mid to late next week.

3 Likes