When it’s time to quit?

If there is something you love doing, keep doing it. I think that is what Graham Nash said recently on Desert Island Discs. I tend to agree with him

2 Likes

I agree, I don’t think it should be for artists to stop performing if they still enjoy it. It may be, however , for audiences to stop attending possibly?

6 Likes

I probably have the CD, but cannot for the life of me recall if it was any good.

I also have no idea quite what the fairer sex historically saw in Rod Stewart, though in that picture with JH (even though he’s presumably intended to be sloshed at the end of the evening) he seems to have a bit of a presence/gravitas I don’t really recall from album covers.

1 Like

The Smiths were really wise guys. They stopped after a few years.

2 Likes

Impressive! Brings to mind the case of 10th U.S. president John Tyler. Born in 1790, and his grandson is still with us (had to double check that :wink:).

100% Agree… David Crosby was writing and playing music almost up to the end. Look at guys like Bernard Langer… still very competitive…

1 Like

Mate, as long as he loves to play, why not?

I saw the Shakti 50th Anniversary concert last year. John McLaughlin was 81 and Zakir Hussain 71 but both still magnificent. I suspect longevity is easier as an instrumentalist than a singer but singers can adapt, Robert plant has realised that he can’t scream anymore but his voice is fine for the material he’s doing with Alison Krauss. Sadly some singers like Ian Anderson aren’t so adaptable.

2 Likes

Isn’t the song “My generation” a bit ironic, considering it’s that generation that “should just bugger off and die”

2 Likes

Rod seems sloshed and Jools seems sloshed off at him

2 Likes

I need to go to SPECSAVERS I can only see Jools Holland and Tom Jones.

Very true, on that point I think EC’s voice has matured very well, but his guitar playing not as incendiary as with the Bluesbreakers and Cream. Was listening to the MSG with Steve Winwood set, hellfire!

Was that by popular request?

7 Likes

What difference does it make? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I think EC deceided a long time ago that he had nothing to prove &, therefore, simply plays music he likes. Pretty well in my opinion.

4 Likes

Yeah when you see him live he has a core set and then plays what he likes. He’s a brilliant interpreter.

2 Likes

Recall seeing him & Mk in several all star concerts in the late 80s/early 90s.

I have always regarded Knopfler the better technical player but he looked distinctly uncomfortable just ‘jumping’ into other people’s material. It never seemed to phase EC & he took to it like a duck to water & made it all look very easy.

I remember when he stood in at late notice for MK’s rhythm player (at Wembley Stadium) who was having a baby if I remember correctly, & looked as if he had always been Dire Straits rhythm player & was totally happy to play second fiddle to Mark.

1 Like

Off you toddle then Roger. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

2 Likes

The Jools / Rod one reminded me of the earlier Jools / Tom .

1 Like

2 Likes