When it’s time to quit?

Watching the tennis from Melbourne this morning, Andy Murray one of the UK’s greatest ever sportsman lost meekly in 3 sets. I know he loves the game and the competition, but when you’re just no longer competitive at anywhere near the level you used to be, surely time’s up?

Similarly, watching some recent clips of the Who, Daltrey’s voice, once just magnificent, has long been shot.

Do people carry on too long?

5 Likes

It’s better to burn out than to fade away. Was Neil Young right? It must be a really hard decision to make if tennis, music or whatever is your life. One of my favourite musicians is Tom Waits. He retired from music, leaving a great legacy with no end of career duds.

I watched Jools Holland’s Hootenanny on New Year’s Eve. Rod Stewart was on, prancing around, oggling the backing singers, and I thought it was rather sad. But he clearly enjoys it, people like to see and hear him, so not everyone thinks the same way.

2 Likes

I saw Daltrey only last March and his voice was excellent. As was his charisma. In fact I’ve seen him 3-4 times over the past 5 years and all have been superb performances.

As for sportsmen, as long as they qualify, why should they give up?

2 Likes

My thinking was that Rod Stewart was just not up to Jools Holland usual standard for artists. In my opinion (and that is just my opinion) he, and some others should just let it go.

Did I hear mention of a joint collaboration between Jools and Rod? Hopefully not of the musical type as I suspect that one of them may just pull the other down - again my opinion. That said I believe that they are both model Railway enthusiasts and perhaps what they are collaborating on is related to that.

2 Likes

Mrs HH informed me yesterday that they have an album out, hence the reason for Sir Rod’s appearance. And frighteningly, she was right. It’s released on 23 February if you want to get your order in.

1 Like

I am constantly confused by the people who keep doing their jobs in their 70s and 80s. I know all the musicians and others in the spotlight feel special, but FCS, it’s really just their bloody job and I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t just retire to bedlam (as Alastair Sim would say).
They must be terribly uncontent people. They certainly don’t need the money.

I could see continuing on a bit to use your notoriety for charitable purposes, in doing some small or medium size charity shows for kicks, and as you say especially sports figures who have become long in the tooth; it’s time to stop.
Just my opinion though …

2 Likes

That’s a strange thing to say from a self professed all round nice guy. Setting aside the big stars, the majority of musicians will never be rich. Playing music is what they do. They don’t have private pensions and if they don’t play live they don’t earn money. Obviously that doesn’t apply to Rod Stewart, but it most certainly does to most jazz, folk etc musicians. I guess with jazz you can grow old gracefully, which isn’t so easy when prancing around the stage and shaking your hips is what made you famous.

4 Likes

I guess he’d have to run it past his mother first!

5 Likes

Age is a misnomer by its very definition :slight_smile:

You can tell when it’s time to quit when it makes you sick.
I quit smoking last November.
Perhaps these folk have strong nerves and stomachs.
Muscle memory tricking the brain whilst the soul is always in denial.

4 Likes

I feel sorry for Andy Murray.

He fought his way to world no. 1 against probably the best three players ever, pretty much all at their peak, only to be struck by serious injury as soon as he achieved no. 1 status & having no time at all to enjoy it.

Were it not for this he may have had a claim to be considered in the top 10/15 players of all time. He must feel robbed.

Very cruel & perhaps explaining why he plays on, trying to make up for the lost years when he should have been at his peak.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he announces his retirement at this year’s Wimbledon.

6 Likes

Retirement , you know when it is time -problem is the scheme actuary and HR department may wish to differ. With some they want to go sooner and some they want to go later.

A family member said to me this Christmas, he was thinking of retirement in his forties . After multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan I hope that he gets what he wishes for

2 Likes

At his age he is lucky to have his own hips and knees

2 Likes

He’s had at least one knee replacement.

2 Likes

Didn’t see Murray’s match but I did see Milos Raonic match, it’s obvious his days as a pro tennis player are numbered. Think it’s up to the individual to name their retirement.

Got see both Paul McCartney and Elton John last year and while both were well worth the effort their voices are definitely starting to crack.

Murray did indicate he probably won’t be back.

1 Like

Some should probably stop, for example Deep Purple, Ian’s voice doesn’t sound so good anymore.

1 Like

Your dad was born 129 years ago? :astonished:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s some age.
How old was he when you were conceived?

I hadn’t realised that the technology for freezing sperm ( to allow insemination after death) was available in the early 20th century - you learn something new everyday on the forum!

2 Likes

I read the other day that Daltry thought the folk of his generation (get ‘em in where you can Rog.) we’re responsible for the ails of the NHS and we should all just bugger off and die.
Course if you have sufficient funds you wouldn’t be bothering the NHS.

Google will easily provide you with the links.

2 Likes