When to recap

How does one knows that your amp is in need of recap instead of it starting to sound exhausted and dead.

How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome bumper (circa 1975 to 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years.

https://www.naimaudio.com/connection-magazine/23678/more-than-repairs-servicing-your-naim-product

2 Likes

The olive nap 180 (1996) that I bought on Sunday, it still sounds fine. In the next few months I’ll save up money for it to be recapped and have the components checked up

At 24 years it’s well overdue a service. It may ‘sound fine’ but it will be far from its best. I once had a 250 that I sent for service to be told that had I left it any longer it would very likely have conked out in a way that took the speakers with it.

Generally, barring any catastrophic component failure, the unregulated amps can go for many years sounding ok(ish), if far their best. The regulated amps though go off form very quickly and so sticking to the service intervals is critical.

Sorry Richard, what’s the difference between regulated and unregulated?

A regulated amp is a rare thing, but something of a Naim speciality; think of it a bit like two amps in one box where one amp regulates the other. This ensure that performance is held tightly regulated even when big demands are made on the amp. The NAP250 is where regulated power amps start in the Naim line-up.

1 Like

The previous owner told me he checked all over the board and capacitor, it is fine he said. There is nothing burnt aswell, he also works on amps as in fix them.

On February, ill take the amp back to service. To the shop where I went to take my hicap to service.

I’m not sure where you are but if it’s the U.K. then Class A in Sheffield is the place to go. Authorised by Naim and using Naim parts. Some places substitute all sorts. I think that just because someone might say it looks ok, it doesn’t mean it is.

2 Likes

Well yea, I’m located in Malaysia so I’m going back to the retailer.

1 Like

In that case, sending it to Sheffield wouldn’t be a great idea! It’s great to see that Naim equipment is being used all around the world. The Naim factory is only an hour’s drive from me, so things are slightly easier.

1 Like

Wow very nice, actually this is the first time hearing the naim again since the last decade. I was very young (7 y/o) that time, my uncle own it and he would blast it and I was not into music that time. Now, I am into music and I asked him that if he could give it to me and yes he did. It is the Nac 62 with better phonocards, Hicap and the nap 110. But the Nap110 recently died and on sunday I got myself the nap 180.

What’s funny is that the dude that sold me the nap180 asked me "Why do you have the naim when you are this young (17 y/o). Because he said not many people would play this type of gear this young.

3 Likes

Good for you and it’s great to have someone so young on the Forum. Most of us seem to be somewhat older. I bought my first Linn LP12 on my 18th birthday, with every penny earned from working in a shop. I got my first Naim - a 42, snaps and 110 when I was 22. My own children, who are 22 and 24 and grew up with my Naim system are very happy listening to music on their phones from YouTube. You could teach them a thing or two.

1 Like

My 3 uncles including the one that gave me the naim, plays naim. They teached me a lot and one of my old uncle told me that he could buy a car in the 1990s but he did not and went to the naim :laughing: . They all advised me not to go too far in the hifi game or not I will have a hole in my wallet.

5 Likes

Is it actually normal for the hicap to not be warm.

Yes, the Hicap is normally at room temperature and doesn’t heat up.

Ah, that’s why I. Because I’m confused in why is it not warm.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.