Where does the 272 lie in Naims hierarchy of amps?

Rumours are always removed as a matter of routine (also a clear breach of forum rules re. importing discussion); if true then they ruin any future surprise, and if untrue then they mislead customers and undermine business.

1 Like

Point taken, I let my frustration get the better of me.

Back to the OP’s original question, I tried lots of combinations using various parts of the 272 with other equipment and it is definitely the case that the preamp will respond to an improved front end, and IMO the 272’s preamp is it’s star quality. (Not surprising really as streaming and DACs have moved on a lot recently.)

2 Likes

But we have for long discussed rumours related to 272 and other stuff here, no?

As I say, if someone post a rumour saying they’ve “heard” from someone like a dealer of staff member about something coming up from Naim then it gets removed as a matter of routine; if true, it rather rains on everybody’s parade, and if not, then it’s just misleading to customers and potentially damaging to business. Surely you can appreciate that?

6 Likes

That makes sense :+1: I didn’t fully understand “importing discussion” as being that.

As for using a 300, the 272 page on Naim’s website states: “Paired with a NAP 200, NAP 250 or even a NAP 300 …, the 272 is an ideal choice …” Upgrading with a PS is certainly mentioned but much further on in the spiel. When Naim sent it out to reviewers I think it was usually with a 250DR.

My main point, though, is that trying to place it in the hierarchy may not be very meaningful. Eg. I don’t think any other classic-series preamp has the “Statement-derived” volume control, which many preferred to the usual Alps pots, especially at low volumes. Indeed, I keep wondering if this will eventually be migrated to the classic series, but that’s for another thread.

Roger

I had several weeks on 202/250.2 and 272/XPSDR with Focal 1028be. Without XPSDR the 272 is better than the 202, the sound is more refined, more open, so with the XPSDR … I still have the 272 which is excellent.

Have you heard a 272 at your house?

I guess we can post links to reviews on Naims web page?

Naim NAC-N272, NAP-300DR, Focal Sopra No.2, Chord Sarum Super ARAY

I like all the ideas bouncing around think ill get a streamer and meanwhile use 272 as preamp
cheers
Mike

2 Likes

Thats what i was saying- my wife even remarked empatically how good it sounded and she has never ever ever cared one bit, and then she did. I went for the sn3 ndx2 purely on source and budget. Im not unhappy with it at all. There was just more 3 dimensionality, more blackness. By the way, shouldnt us prices be going down with this dollar move?

I’ve heard 272 several times at my friends house. I had 202/200.

Your friend has a different room, and presumably a different system, so it’s not a good basis for a comparison of 2 preamps.

It’s not even a very good basis for a guess!

Also, as mentioned by various people on this thread, the 272 preamp changes its quality a lot depending on which PSU is used.

1 Like

Indeed, rooms are different, cables, etc.,
272 QS depends on PSU? yes, but as 202.
Frankly I do not catch the point. Is my guess that 272 about same level as 202 wrong?
But that is my view. Everyone has his own.

1 Like

Something we rarely discuss is how good the 202 might have been with a Supercap?

I was considering doing this once and was advised against it by a very experienced Naim dealer. Naim boxes respond in different ways to power supplies, for example a Hicap makes a CD5x sound bonkers, whereas a Flatcap is just perfect. The 272 somehow responds extraordinarily well to upping the power supply. Putting a 555 on a 272 makes far more difference than a Supercap on a 282 for example. I’ve always put this down to the PS improving the whole caboodle, streamer, dac and preamp, so you are getting both source and preamp upgrades simultaneously.

1 Like

You could be on to something HH. I actually thought even out the box the SC made a very significant difference to my 282 but of course unlike with the 252 you’re not making full use.

I don’t think it can be right or wrong because it depends on so many factors, including personal taste in music and HiFi.

I’ve never (knowingly) heard a 202, so I have no idea whether the 272 would be better or worse than it in any particular installation.

I can say for certain that when I briefly tried my 272/555DR as a preamp only (analogue in) in my all-Naim system it sounded bloody good - the best the 272 had ever sounded.

1 Like

When I had my 272 I used it with my LP12. Strictly as a preamp, it’s between a 202 and 282. The better the power supply the closer it is to the 282.

1 Like

A 272/555PSDR is in terms of preamp qualities very close to a 282/HC? Is that also in terms of sound signature? I’ve not compared em but I believe some say the 272/555 is known for its relaxed yet detailed sound which if so make me think it is more close to a 252 than 282 sound signature wise. A 282 is often described as having more PRAT and being more forward and 252 more gentle, grown up and the latter is always how I experienced my 272 with a 555. With XPSDR on the other hand the 272 get more of the signature often described when talking about 282.

3 Likes